New Acquisitions for July 2009!

Should be known though that they are using cheap paints and clears. Anyone going to them should get a written warranty on the finish.

Their signature service (top of the line at $1000, although they honored a previous estimate) is a urethane and clear coat combination with a four year warranty on the shine/finish. I also chose the $600 prep package to go with the $150 each fender/quarter metalwork and hood and trunk prep at $100 each.

They do not remove the original/previous finish but spray the car with a bonding agent for the new paint to adhere to. I did take it back for another four hours of finish work (free - they stood by their work); lots of over spray, a few runs in the clear coat, and three blotches on the hood where the bonding agent had affected the finish - which they buffed out.

I had three estimates from regular body shops to do the job "properly"; each was between $4000 and $5000, and one wouldn't touch it, citing potential for "problems". For a car that appraised at $9,550, a paint job half the value of the car was unreasonable.

The job came out well and I am impressed with it given the price. My regular body man was impressed (he even said I wasn't doing him any favors by having him do it; insurance work is more profitable), and at recent cruise nights, my knowledgeable car friends were also impressed.

Some more photos:

SCE8.jpg

SCE4.jpg

E1.jpg

389 YD high-compression E236 (May 23, 1966), 10.5:1, 2bbl Rochester 290HP/418ft/lb, TH400; 2.56:1, factory AC, PS, PB
D3.jpg

Tilt wheel, push button AM, padded dash, floor mats, factory tinted glass all windows, deluxe wheel covers, tire cover, electric clock, non glare mirror
D2.jpg

I have some photos from MACCO as they did the work, if they would be of use in this discussion thread.

MS

Last edited:
New 22LR upper & Range Report; Long

I hate you people on NES! [wink] Before I started spending time here I had never considered owning an Evil Black Rifle or any milsurps. Because of you, I have done some serious damage to my bank account...and had the most fun I've ever had with my pants on! [laugh]

My latest addition to the family is a dedicated 22LR upper. My first rimfire EBR. Should I hand out cigars? [grin] I thought I'd do it up right and post a range report along with pictures of the new baby. Here we go:

Background: Back in December of 2008 I ordered a dedicated .22lr upper from Model 1 Sales. It looks like this one. 2 differences on mine: I went with the knurled handguard instead of the fluted, and I added a swivel stud so I could mount a bipod. The upper arrived earlier this week. I'll give some comments about the ordering/delivery process later in this post. Some pics of the completed rifle:

Model%201%2022lr%20Upper%20001%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Model%201%2022lr%20Upper%20002%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Model%201%2022lr%20Upper%20003%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Model%201%2022lr%20Upper%20004%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Model%201%2022lr%20Upper%20006%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Quality Comments: I would rate the quality and fit of the upper as very good to excellent. The upper with this varmint barrel is heavy, weighing almost 9 pounds. Completely assembled, with scope and bipod, it probably goes 12+ pounds. The finish on the upper receiver was average/good, not great but not bad either. It appeared at first to be a little "blotchy," but that seems to be going away with cleaning and oiling. The barrel and bore are beautifully done. The handguard is perfect and well fitted. A set of reduced power fire control springs was included with the upper to improve functioning if needed.

Build Description: The lower I mated it to was a mix of parts. Essential arms lower, Model 1 Stock, and a DPMS lower parts kit. The scope is a Mueller Eraticator 8.5x25 that I moved over from another rifle. The upper comes with 1 Black Dog magazine, neutered to 10 round capacity for Massachusetts inmates. I had two other mags that I ordered from Black Dog while I was waiting for the upper. The bipod is a Harris.

Function: Model 1 recommends only high velocity ammunition, specifically CCI Mini-Mags and Winchester Super Power Point. We (my son and I) have been to the range twice with this rifle and have fed it about 8 different types of ammo. The only ammo that did not function the action 100% was Aguila Golden Eagle Match Rifle. It was flawless with all three magazines with all the other ammo we tried! No malfunctions except for the Aguila. [smile] We've put about 300 rounds of ammo through it so far. I ran a bore snake through it and wiped down the bolt before first firing it, and we cleaned it at the end of the first day. Cleaning and oiling the bolt assembly was easy. I did not put the reduced power spring kit in, since it didn't seem to need it.

Accuracy: This rifle loved Mini-Mags and Winchester Dynapoint GT Target Ammo, especially the Winchester. The next pic is the best target that I fired the first day out, with very gusty headwinds:

Model%201%20Upper%20Target%20001%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

I was pleased with the result, especially for me. The flyer was totally my fault. The lower has a very long trigger pull and is a little gritty. I think the rifle is capable of even better performance with an improved trigger and a better shooter. I would welcome any suggestions from folks here for a better trigger - I think the rifle deserves it. [grin]

Final Comments: IMO, Model 1 Sales builds an excellent product. Their customer service = [rolleyes]. When I ordered the upper everything was getting backordered, so I expected to wait. My order was acknowledged by email immediately. (My CC was not billed until after the order shipped.) After a few months of not hearing from them I sent a couple of emails and never received a reply. Two months after I had ordered the upper an NES member had one for sale in the classifieds for a little less then what I spent on this one. I didn't buy it since I had already ordered this one and I didn't think the wait would be so lengthy. I finally called Model 1, was able to get through, and spoke with a nice helpful lady. She put me on hold while she checked on my order and told me it would ship within a day or two, and they did.

I don't mind waiting for something if there is communication, an estimate of delivery time, and confirmation that the order is still "in the pipeline." After 6+ months I honestly didn't know what was going on. A simple email along the way saying "Sorry, but we're backed up with orders. Hopefully, we'll finish your order by "insert month" would have been very welcome. IIRC, another member here had a similar problem with Model 1. I don't know how big a company Model 1 is or how many employees they have, but if they could get their customer service on a par with their workmanship they would rock.

That being said, I love the rifle and I would do business with them again in the future, but I would probably call the order in and try to get an estimate on delivery.

My apologies for this post being so long, but I wanted to give all the info in case someone else was considering this purchase. Thanks for your patience!

They do not remove the original/previous finish but spray the car with a bonding agent for the new paint to adhere to.

A lot of quickie shops use adhesion promoter rather than sanding down the original finish and removing damaged paint. Its basically a solvent that softens whats underneath and is only as good as the prep because IMO nothing beats taking down the old finish to apply new. Problem is when that adhesion promoter reactivates the top coat, it also allows whats hidden underneath to bleed through as everything dries which could take months depending on what type of sealer (if any) and top coat they used.

As long as you're happy with the finish, thats what counts. Next time though if you want restoration quality and sheet metal replacement, come see me. I'd have welded patches, glassed, and stripped down the old paint for a few bucks more than what you paid Macco.[wink]

102_1036.jpg

Heres the Stag H2 kit = complete upper/ lower parts kit / stock assembly I got on a group buy.
Then mated with a S&W lower. I also have a parts kit from NES group buy for spare parts. Put together this PM on the kitchen table. I used a screw driver and a wooden meat tenderizer.

Now if there can only be a upper parts kit group buy and a Magpul adjustable stock buy. Put together this PM on the kitchen table. .

Last edited:
After a little over 3 months my Form 1 finally showed up so I could put this baby together:

mp5ksbr.jpg

Long time to wait and a crapload of money but in the end I think she was worth it. I thought i'd take a picture of all the shorty's while I had the camera out (10.5" AR, MP5k-PDW & PS90):

sbrfamilyshot.jpg

Last edited:
After a little over 3 months my Form 1 finally showed up so I could put this baby together:

mp5ksbr.jpg

Long time to wait and a crapload of money but in the end I think she was worth it. I thought i'd take a picture of all the shorty's while I had the camera out (10.5" AR, MP5k & PS90):

sbrfamilyshot.jpg

[bow] Congrats!

Polytech Legend, as new, underfolder, 50 round drum mag from Polytech, 2 original/new polytech 30 round mags and flash suppressor... pure evil!

0003886W0.jpg

Some more literature, as you can never have too much of it.
I choose to buy the original edition in English language over the German translation - half the price[smile]
Wadda 'ya think of the picture on the rear cover ?
Me thinks it's somehow stylish[rofl]

ScarlataCommissionRiflevorn.jpg

ScarlataCommissionRiflehinten.jpg

The markings (obviously) are a little different, and there are a couple of extra curves in the back of the grip area, and the underside of the lower part of the frame. I believe the slide is a bit heavier (beefier) on the M9. Other than that, they are the same.

I did lots of research before buying mine last year. Why buy an FS92 when you can get an M9 for the same $$$. KTP gets M9's in all the time.

BTW, all 92FS's and M9's come with the plastic spring rods now, which was a M9 innovation (to reduce sand fouling in the sand box). I replaced my plastic spring rod with a metal one.

Great looking acquisitions everybody!!

Hanwei, are there any major differences in the M9 vs. the 92FS?

Back
Top Bottom