• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New .38 Special Loads - Leading Barrel

I just loaded my first 50 .38 special loads and noticed that they seem to be leading the barrel and the cylinder. These loads seemed pretty mild, so I'm assuming the lead buildup is just coming from the loads being a little light? Or am I missing something?

The loads were as follows, with no appreciable difference is lead coating of the barrel/cylinder.

1) 105gn badman lead bullets, 3.8gns of W231, COL of 1.437-1.440
2) 105gn badman lead bullets, 4.0gns of W231, COL of 1.437-1.440

The below pictures is just after 5 rounds:
77335d1377475699-new-38-special-loads-leading-barrel-leading-barrel.jpg

Attachments

• leading barrel.jpg
    leading barrel.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 155
What does your crimp look like?
If its too loose it may not properly burn all the powder, even if it is a light load.

Could be... I also notice some "curly-q's" in the barrel, but the picture came out like crap.

Some other notes:
The cases seemed "cool" to the touch right after shooting. I was also able to blow the crap out of the cylinder/barrel without much effort.

What does your crimp look like?
If its too loose it may not properly burn all the powder, even if it is a light load.

Those loads had a heavy crimp on them.

That doesn't sound like leading if you're able to just blow it out. And if you've got leading in the cylinders like that, you've got BIG problems with your cases and ammo lol. I've seen that same thing in my 38 after trying a new powder and it was just powder residue.

That doesn't sound like leading if you're able to just blow it out. And if you've got leading in the cylinders like that, you've got BIG problems with your cases and ammo lol. I've seen that same thing in my 38 after trying a new powder and it was just powder residue.

Good info. Up the load it is!

View attachment 77345View attachment 77343View attachment 77344View attachment 77346
Hello Turbo89,

We are using the some bullets .[wink] I'm using bullseyes powder we 3.8 . we out leading. hope this help
today alone was 60 round down range [smile] ,but I have not clean this revolver over 200 rounds. Sorry I'm a bit lazy[rolleyes]

Good Stuff! I didn't get to the range until late today. When I did get there, I was the only one at the outdoor pistol range and some nice fellow left ~ 100 pieces of once fire .45 and ~50 pieces of once fire 9mm on the floor.

I figure my load was light... but I couldn't find a similar load on the interwebs (or the three books I looked in), so I decided to start low.

Hopefully I can work this up to ~ 4.5gns, then I won't have to change the powder setting between 9mm and .38 special.

Good Stuff! I didn't get to the range until late today. When I did get there, I was the only one at the outdoor pistol range and some nice fellow left ~ 100 pieces of once fire .45 and ~50 pieces of once fire 9mm on the floor.

I figure my load was light... but I couldn't find a similar load on the interwebs (or the three books I looked in), so I decided to start low.

Hopefully I can work this up to ~ 4.5gns, then I won't have to change the powder setting between 9mm and .38 special.

Today was AM fun time we a friend lots a metal hits lol [smile] love shooting at AR500 plate .View attachment 77357100 yards mark.
I will try again on 10/08 if you have the time we should meet.

PS: good score on the brass [smile] I have not seen the old man "brass rat" in months hope he is well last time we spoke he didn't look so good.

Last edited:
i'm going to say the load needs to be bumped up. that seems like an awfully light charge for a 105 grain bullet.
hodgdon lists 4.9 as a max for a 125 grain. a light load would cause incomplete burn like that.
try a hotter load or a faster powder like bullseye.

if you do in fact get leading it's usually a bullet sizing issues. get a pure lead slug and drive it through your bore with a brass rod. measure the max diameter to see what your barrel groove diameter is. make sure that the bullets that you buy are .001" or more than that. also slug your cylinders to make sure they're not under sized in comparison to your bore. if they squeeze the bullet down below barrel diameter you will get leading.

good luck.

Update: I tried some 4.2gn and 4.4gn loads. The 4.2gn load shot noticeably cleaner, but still left residue (not as much). The 4.4gn loads shot significantly better than the 4.2gn loads, with less powder residue (but still left some on occasion). I think I'll step it up to 4.6gns and run another 50-100.

How is your accuracy? I had a little problem with powder residue on my 38spl loads with clays powder. Only thing is they where pleasant to shoot and grouped very well. The powder fouling seemed to little affect on accuracy for me

How is your accuracy? I had a little problem with powder residue on my 38spl loads with clays powder. Only thing is they where pleasant to shoot and grouped very well. The powder fouling seemed to little affect on accuracy for me

All of the charges I have tried grouped well out to 25 yds. I haven't tried any further distances

Back
Top Bottom