• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need input on my survial product idea.

I've been thinking about this for a while and now, after about 5 months of thinking and planning, I'm ready to put some real dedication into my business idea.
One of the reasons why I am making a move on this now is because I am growing tired of waiting to find an affordable location to open my pawnshop/gun store and apply for my FFL. I've been self employed for about 4 years. My business in FL was DR's Coins & Collectibles. I would BST gold, silver, US coins, currency, militaria, collectibles, antiques, oddities, firearm accessories and parts and I would restore older toys (Lionel Trains, Diecast vehicles, 1980s Japanese robots). This summer I'm planning on working at flea markets, but I needed something that was more benefical and rewarding. I've always considered my self an innovator and I currently have developed one other innovation of conveinience and practicality, but it hasn't left my basement.

Simply put, my latest idea is custom-fitted furniture designed for personal security and home defense. I do not want to go into more detail than that in an open thread. By custom fitted I mean you bring me your recliner and I fit it for the apropriate protection because I believe its more realistic than completely replacing your recliner.

1- Do you believe there is a market for something like a "bullet-proof couch"?
2- Is any specific premit requried to obtain ballistic material?
3- would anyone be interested in getting more information and specifics, and possibly becoming a partner/investor?

Again, I will go into more detail with anyone who would be interested in my project. Currently I have the funds to purchase what I need for a few "demo" pieces but I haven't aquired the required materials.

Thanks,
-Dave

idk about a bullet proof couch,.. Unless you live in a low income gang area of Compton ca,- in which case could you afford it?
I would love to see a bullet proof MC leather though, probably also be great protection on a asphalt slide too. They already make leather with Kevlar for that purpose. I don't know what You'd have to do to give them a level III cert, but I'm sure there's a market as there are bikers who carry - like me

Sent from my iPhone using Yakalot

Well from growing up in Florida I can tell you that there doesn't seem to be all that much of a pawn shop market up here like down south. Not sure if it's either people don't ever clear clutter from their homes, or they just value how many dunkin donuts cups they can accumulate. The couch thing I see as kinda redundant in my opinion. Wouldn't someones first goal be to make sure people don't gain entry into the home for a gun fight? You would think that if someone was ever so surprised that they were stuck in their chair, bullet proofing it would be a lost cause if they couldn't get out and away. If anything, I would look at making interior doors more secure than a chair or couch, have you ever seen one of those taken apart or damaged? Nice thinking for the purpose of home security, but realistically those would only serve a purpose in a high crime areas proned to drivebys or other random shootings, they wouldn't help much in a home invasion type of scenario.

Charles.

It would be a very limited market that you would be selling to and it is something that is difficult to ship.

The bullet proof MC jacket is something I didn't think of. I'm not a biker but I know many.
In respects to the couch thing, that was just an example. I did consider it would be better suited for those in Chicago than in Ludlow VT for example. I was more or less thinking of a bullet proof couch cushion which can be removed and used as a shield. So, if you're on your couch when an armed intruder breaks in, and your shotgun or handgun is on the kitchen table 7' away, you now have a defensive item which will protect 85% of your body while you move towards your firearm. Even if you have your gun on your person, you know have 2 defensive measures. An active and preventative. The bulletproof cushion would be custom made to the customers dementions and color to match their couch and existing cushions. It will have a folding out piece of soft kevlar which will deploy when you pick the cushion up off the couch.

I considered bulletproof school desks. Of course the students will need to be instructed on how to utilize the desk and apropriate drills would need to be an active part of the school year just like fire drills. Flip the desk with the table-top facing towards the door, student would hunker down behind it. But, that alone doesn't save lives. The reality is 1- Need to arm teachers and teach them/certify them to shoot, 2- full time armed security staff. IMO 6 trained/qualified armed guards per 20 classrooms would be good. Why employ guards according to classroom count and not by the size of the student body? Students will be in classrooms most of the day. The guard will need to keep the gunman out of the classrooms where the students will be contained in lockdown. IMHO I would LOVE to see schools allow law abiding, moral, level-headed students who are shooting sportsmen/women to obtain authorization to lawfully CC durring school. Based on the fact that the only thing stopping a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. LEOs can't stop a shooting in progress, if 5 students are carrying a pistol lawfully durring class, they would be the best chance of saving lives.
But, I digress. I know people want schools to be safer, I am one of them. If I can make something work and be practical/realistic enough to save lives of students and faculty while limiting the restrictions on lawful gun ownership; I believe I need to do so. If I fail, atleast I tried. Atleast someone tried something new.

-Dave

I appreciate your independent business and individual innovation but this product sounds awful. I don't think there is a market for such a product--at least in the U.S.

keep at it though. R&D is inherently prone to more failure than success--trial and error. but know when to identify your errors and start anew.

I think a better idea than "bullet proof" furniture would be furniture with "hidden compartments"...specifically night tables, but any regular coffee table, chair, hutch...I personally would pay to have some of my existing furniture "retrofitted" with some hidden places to stash things. The whole "hidden in plain sight" thing is very effective IMO

I'm sure there might be a lot of interest out there for furniture mods, I don't see bullet proof being one of them. If I was really concerned about being shot up, i'd buy a few steel plates to place strategically.

Couch holster? sign me up.
Under bed/couch Pantry? Apartment dwellers will eat that shit up.

That'd be more feasible, I think.

EDIT: If you're hard up, I do have an idea for a company that would be solidly in demand, installing a secuirity product residentially that's pretty much standard for retail stores. A small dose of marketing would keep two guys and a van EXTREMELY busy and well-paid to start. I'm not in the physical condition to do myself nor do I have the time to oversee a pursuit ofthis however. PM me and I may be able to help in certain ways for a royalty.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I don't see much need in the way ballistic furniture for the home. Perhaps there are some specialized applications in high security areas like the Oval Office which would be a last security measure in a security in depth concept. What would be more practical to me would be some kind of ballistic pillow that a homeowner could use as a shield during a home invasion, not so much for the designated threat responder, but more for family members who would ideally assemble in the designated redoubt.

I also like the idea that was previously suggested of furniture with hidden compartments for firearms

As far as pawn shop type stores go, I understand their importance in the South. I used to live in GA. Here while pawn shops exist, they seem few and far between today, at least in MA.

I think it is great to brainstorm ideas and ask for feedback. It's what made our country great: Innovators and creative thinkers such as yourself.

There is a guy on this forum that already does "hidden compartments" in furniture.....just do a search.

Sorry....want to stay on topic. Really do not see it being a great idea, but you never know....

Jim

Last edited:
agreed... desks with pop up gun compartments- chairs with biometric gun cubbies..??

I think a better idea than "bullet proof" furniture would be furniture with "hidden compartments"...specifically night tables, but any regular coffee table, chair, hutch...I personally would pay to have some of my existing furniture "retrofitted" with some hidden places to stash things. The whole "hidden in plain sight" thing is very effective IMO

I'm sure there might be a lot of interest out there for furniture mods, I don't see bullet proof being one of them. If I was really concerned about being shot up, i'd buy a few steel plates to place strategically.

Couch holster? sign me up.
Under bed/couch Pantry? Apartment dwellers will eat that shit up.

That'd be more feasible, I think.

EDIT: If you're hard up, I do have an idea for a company that would be solidly in demand, installing a secuirity product residentially that's pretty much standard for retail stores. A small dose of marketing would keep two guys and a van EXTREMELY busy and well-paid to start. I'm not in the physical condition to do myself nor do I have the time to oversee a pursuit ofthis however. PM me and I may be able to help in certain ways for a royalty.

The security products thing was actually something I was talking about with Kyarno on Facebook haha. I'll shoot you a PM.

-Dave

I was the general manager of a large industrial model and prototype shop for four years. When someone wanted to build the first example of a new product, they would come to us. Because we wanted to get paid, we would find out what their business plan was, and their funding source.

I would say that 90% of the people with these product ideas had no business plan and no funding. We used to make the point that "If this product doesn't exist in the marketplace already, it's because no one in the world has ever had this idea before - or there's no market. Which do you think is more likely?"

As Hiltonizer pointed out especially since the Boston Bombers were caught through security video, demand is through the roof. There are a ton of products out there, but people don't know where to start and want a "System Integrator." The good thing about that business is that the start up costs are quite low.

Because we wanted to get paid, we would find out what their business plan was, and their funding source.

I would say that 90% of the people with these product ideas had no business plan and no funding. We used to make the point that "If this product doesn't exist in the marketplace already, it's because no one in the world has ever had this idea before - or there's no market. Which do you think is more likely

Business plans are useless unless you're trying to raise Vic. I don't know ANY successful business owner offhand that had a business plan they followed past funding. And as for funding source, many business owners don't want outside funding. I spend a lot of time at a business incubator and the only time I see anyone working on a business plan is when they are trying to raise Vc.

Just because a product isn't out there doesn't mean it's not a good idea. I've been told many times that making firearm inventory software, where my biggest competitors are notepads and excel, is/was a bad idea and that there is no market for it as its far too niche. Of course they are all wrong, according to my 100,000 users ;)

In short, my point is that just because something doesn't exist doesn't mean there isn't a market. Just because they don't have a business plan doesn't mean they won't be good business owners. And don't confuse low awareness with no market.

Of course any idea could end up being a stupid business move :) if you don't like and learn from failures then don't run your own business heh

Business plans are useless unless you're trying to raise Vic. I don't know ANY successful business owner offhand that had a business plan they followed past funding. And as for funding source, many business owners don't want outside funding. /
Then we haven't met.

OP, I recommend to you "The E-Myth."

Thread resurrection ?

Discreet rifle plates for my car would be of interest to me.

Even overt ones - exterior mounted , removable ( more importantly : easy to apply ) door panels and tailgate.

I don't think it's hard to kill a car with a rifle but it would be nice to create a bit of a "safe room " If I were trying to leave somewhere yucky in a rush.

Hmmm...I don't see much need in the way ballistic furniture for the home. Perhaps there are some specialized applications in high security areas like the Oval Office which would be a last security measure in a security in depth concept. What would be more practical to me would be some kind of ballistic pillow that a homeowner could use as a shield during a home invasion, not so much for the designated threat responder, but more for family members who would ideally assemble in the designated redoubt.

I also like the idea that was previously suggested of furniture with hidden compartments for firearms

As far as pawn shop type stores go, I understand their importance in the South. I used to live in GA. Here while pawn shops exist, they seem few and far between today, at least in MA.

I think it is great to brainstorm ideas and ask for feedback. It's what made our country great: Innovators and creative thinkers such as yourself.

Glad to see this thread woke up lol. The pillow idea was my first idea and then I started going in depth and got to thinking about ballistic in plain sight furniture for the "mob boss whos marked for
death" crowd. A coffee table made out of polymer, soft Kevlar and ballistic glass would be something I wouldn't mind owning. Make it look like something sold at Bobs Discount Furniture, priced reasonably and worth the money.

Anyway, I know its crazy that a lot of my threads here are about ideas I have but I have many ideas and many innovations which I want to create and produce but money is the issue.
As to my business background, in the NES members forum under resumes, I posted mine, just to put it out there (I need some extra income). I've been self employed since I was 18 and was first profitable on eBay at age 19 selling my sports cards and the silver coins my grandfather gave me. When I lived in FL, I had a DBA and I worked coin shows as well as eBay successfully. In 2011 (age 21) I sold $36,652.52 worth of coins, collectibles and other stuff and profited roughly $6,700.
Although on paper, it doesn't say much, but if I believe I can do something, I don't give up until I either go broke or mentally cannot get a handle on what I want to do.
Again, money is my only roadblock and currently I either need an investor/partner or I need to rob a bank.
-Dave

I've been thinking about this for a while and now, after about 5 months of thinking and planning, I'm ready to put some real dedication into my business idea.
One of the reasons why I am making a move on this now is because I am growing tired of waiting to find an affordable location to open my pawnshop/gun store and apply for my FFL. I've been self employed for about 4 years. My business in FL was DR's Coins & Collectibles. I would BST gold, silver, US coins, currency, militaria, collectibles, antiques, oddities, firearm accessories and parts and I would restore older toys (Lionel Trains, Diecast vehicles, 1980s Japanese robots). This summer I'm planning on working at flea markets, but I needed something that was more benefical and rewarding. I've always considered my self an innovator and I currently have developed one other innovation of conveinience and practicality, but it hasn't left my basement.

Simply put, my latest idea is custom-fitted furniture designed for personal security and home defense. I do not want to go into more detail than that in an open thread. By custom fitted I mean you bring me your recliner and I fit it for the apropriate protection because I believe its more realistic than completely replacing your recliner.

1- Do you believe there is a market for something like a "bullet-proof couch"?
2- Is any specific premit requried to obtain ballistic material?
3- would anyone be interested in getting more information and specifics, and possibly becoming a partner/investor?

Again, I will go into more detail with anyone who would be interested in my project. Currently I have the funds to purchase what I need for a few "demo" pieces but I haven't aquired the required materials.

Thanks,
-Dave

someone thinks so Sitting On A Secret? This Sofa Has a Gun Safe And Bullet-Proof Cushions Too! | TheBlaze.com

Back
Top Bottom