Need eyesight help

I need glasses. Are there any good eye doctors in the Brockton area that are knowledgeable about glasses/shoting sports?

Thanks in advance
Mark

I don't know anyone in your area. However, I found a Optician that offered Zeiss lenses in his glasses. They are more expensive, but offer unmatched quality in terms of clarity and durability. Good luck.

This place:

www.personaleyesonline.com

Is listed as being a dealer for the Randolph Engineering line of eyewear. Randolph Engineering makes some really great shooting glasses, while I don't have a vision issue, I have their shooting glasses that I use for Trap and Skeet. Love the glasses and availability of lenses.

I do not have any experience with that local dealer however.

I am blind as a bat, and wear glasses too. Nothing too special though, just distance vision glasses. I suppose you could go with a yellow tint, which some say helps in shooting.

If you get them in polycarbonate, and make sure they have fairly big lenses, you will not need to wear any other sort of eyeprotection at the range.

I use Dr. Paul Vinger at Lexington Eye Associates (www.lexeye.com). He was a shooter (many years ago) and also did eye work for one of the top college shooting teams or maybe the Olympic team (can't remember which). I don't have any particularly difficult eye issues, so I can't say I've made use of any specialized expertise he may have, but at least it's nice to be able to talk about shooting without getting disparaging looks.

This place:

www.personaleyesonline.com

Is listed as being a dealer for the Randolph Engineering line of eyewear. Randolph Engineering makes some really great shooting glasses, while I don't have a vision issue, I have their shooting glasses that I use for Trap and Skeet. Love the glasses and availability of lenses.

I do not have any experience with that local dealer however.

Thanks, Randolph is right down the road.

I use Dr. Paul Vinger at Lexington Eye Associates (www.lexeye.com). He was a shooter (many years ago) and also did eye work for one of the top college shooting teams or maybe the Olympic team (can't remember which). I don't have any particularly difficult eye issues, so I can't say I've made use of any specialized expertise he may have, but at least it's nice to be able to talk about shooting without getting disparaging looks.

I may contact him, thanks

This is a good time to ask ...

I have a real problem wearing my prescription glasses under saftey /shooting glasses. They slip and slide and it really nips. Is there a solution to this? One of those strappy things that hold your glasses to your head, maybe? I can't afford to buy another pair of prescription glasses that would be suitable for shooting. And I don't think my health plan covers Lasik ...

This is a good time to ask ...

I have a real problem wearing my prescription glasses under saftey /shooting glasses. They slip and slide and it really nips. Is there a solution to this? One of those strappy things that hold your glasses to your head, maybe? I can't afford to buy another pair of prescription glasses that would be suitable for shooting. And I don't think my health plan covers Lasik ...

If you wear glasses all the time, why do you need something over them?

Am, myself, nearsighted. Ever since I can remember....at least when I started shooting....have had glass, not plastic, lenses in "photo grey" that also act as sunglasses and change with light conditions.

They are "heavier" because they are glass, and perhaps, due to my prescription, require a larger frame. Has worked out OK for me since the early 70's.

Now have "double vision"....but still the same setup. Grin....I guess if it works......

Blue Hill Eye Associates
Wood Road
Braintree, MA
781-794-2200
Dr. Thurm
I brought my pistol, unloaded and in a case.
He measured me for bi-focal safety glasses.
It's made a world of difference.

boomerang, thanks for a nice site! I never saw safety glasses with prescription inserts for about $28!

The basic problem with prescriptions is that glasses can't be made big, so your eyes are open from the top and sides. As I understand, if you need a prescription shooting glasses, you basically have 3 choices:

1. Wear some goggles over prescription. They are cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DPG82-...ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232406534&sr=1-6 But they can fog and they introduce distortion.

2. Wear protection shields or goggles with prescription inserts. A little bulky and still introduce distortion. There can be higher end choices: http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-rx.html

3. Prescription glasses made with side/up protection: http://www.opticsplanet.net/wiley-x-prescription-goggles.html

boomerang, thanks for a nice site! I never saw safety glasses with prescription inserts for about $28!

The basic problem with prescriptions is that glasses can't be made big, so your eyes are open from the top and sides. As I understand, if you need a prescription shooting glasses, you basically have 3 choices:

Doesn't that all depend on the frame that the lenses are placed in? Pick a larger frame and the lenses will be made to fit.

As stated earlier, am nearsighted and since the early 70's have had glasses that are glass...not plastic. They are "photo grey" and change shade with light. In over 30 years of shooting, have never had a case come down from above, or get in from the side. Have had some bounce off in front, but that was an "expected" thing and was only "disconcerting"...not a danger.

IMHO, the frame the lenses fit in are the key. The more "stylish" and smaller they are, the more you might need safety glasses. The larger the frame, the less the need. [grin]

The laws of optics don't let you make good quality lenses too big in size, and, what is more important, you can't make wrap-around lenses. You can still make medium size "flat" lenses and put them into frame with side shields, you are right with it. But the lenses should be shatterproof, the glass lenses are not. I think it is forbidden in the army to wear glass lenses. And the glasses should be protected from sides: Most cars don't have their air bags deployed, but they still need air bags. For the protection from the top you can wear a cap.

The laws of optics don't let you make good quality lenses too big in size, and, what is more important, you can't make wrap-around lenses. You can still make medium size "flat" lenses and put them into frame with side shields, you are right with it. But the lenses should be shatterproof, the glass lenses are not. I think it is forbidden in the army to wear glass lenses. And the glasses should be protected from sides: Most cars don't have their air bags deployed, but they still need air bags. For the protection from the top you can wear a cap.

Grin, sure don't have an "axe to grind" and am certainly no optician. All of my glasses since the early 70's were "heavier" due to the "glass" (?) Have/had been assured that these were "safety" lenses and would not shatter from a minor impact. My experience has proven this true. I went this route so I could get the "photo grey" in my prescription, and have never been disappointed.

Different note....any Army issue glasses I had were not what I would call "plastic". They were of a "glass type"....only my description...so take it at face value. And yes....the frames were large.

Can't really get into technical data....don't have the knowledge. Only know what I've had and what works.

many years ago I worked for a company that made some equipment for glass industry. At that time very "strong" lenses(stronger that -6 - -8 or about) were to be done from glass and not from plastic, but I see a tendency that everything is done from plastic now. As a child I used glass protective goggles. Glass can be shatterproof(almost), but it has to be sick and heavy, plastic works better. They claim that the shooting shields can withstand a shot hit from 30(?) feet.
I completely agree with you, any glasses are better than no glasses, and bigger frames are better than small ones. Glass can easily withstand the casing hit, whether it will withstand the broken slide hit is another question

Still I politely disagree with you about the side protection: it is needed.
I was at steel plate shoot and was hit by debris that ricocheted from 2 walls and hit me in the head from the left, the shooter was actually about 20-30 feet to the right and front from me. I think you can find plastic side shields that can be attached to your regular glasses

I can help you. I am an Optometrist who has been actively shooting since age 11 (now 62 and fully aware of the age-related issues of focusing on your front sight) Currently shooting 1911's and have personally used a lens system which places a bifocal in the UPPER portion of the spectacle lens of the dominant (aiming) eye. Works well...

PM me if you or anyone is interested - we need to plan in advance as to sight distances with arms extended in shooting position.

1.5" groups at 10 yards slow fire precision target aiming, depends on you and your god-awful Massachusetts-compliant firearm.

Dr Howard Harrison
State Street Eye Health Associates
33 Broad Street Boston [Financial District]
617-742-7200 by appointment only

Back
Top Bottom