• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a permit in CT to buy ammo?

I'm still awaiting my permit approval, but in the mean time, I'm buying the gear I'm going to need once I get my pistol (on layaway). I bought , glasses, ear protection, speedloaders, etc...

I went to WalMart to pick up some ammo, I picked up some .38 specials target and .357 hollowpoint - but they only let me buy the .38's without a permit.

What's up with that, I didn't know there was a law requiring a permit to purchase ammo, and why one caliber over the other?

I don't believe a permit is required, but someone here will know for sure.

The searches I've done here and the posts I've read seem to indicate that I don't.

The confusion is, what is it about the .357 magnum hollowpoint that restricted the purchase. The .38 special can kill too, and is a handgun round.

I'm guessing it's a WalMart store policy.

AFAIK, you don't need a Pistol Permit to buy ammo in CT. I was there in either December or January and bought ammo...I was never even asked for a driver's license, let alone my CT Pistol Permit.

No permit needed for any ammo, they might ask for a drivers license. I have never had a problem at cabellas. This has been asked before in this section

But he didn't bother to look, or even post, in this section. He originally put it in "Ammunition."

I did bother to look, as I said I did searches and read posts. I got the same information I got from my post... you don't need a permit to buy ammo. That's why I asked the question, because they allowed me to buy the .38 special ammo, but NOT the .357.

I wondered if I was missing something, or something had changed, or was this some dumb WalMart policy. Thinking someone might have had the same trouble.

Sorry for putting a post about ammo in the Ammunition section, and not in the CT law section!

We are alittle touchy here I can see. I was thinking of joining NES, but I now have second thoughts.

I did bother to look, as I said I did searches and read posts. I got the same information I got from my post... you don't need a permit to buy ammo. That's why I asked the question, because they allowed me to buy the .38 special ammo, but NOT the .357.

I wondered if I was missing something, or something had changed, or was this some dumb WalMart policy. Thinking someone might have had the same trouble.

Just a minimum-wage WalMart drone's arbitrary decision, I'd bet. As any gun which takes .357 will also accept .38 Special, such a "policy" is patently inane.

Which is WalMart's gun policy generally.

In CT you must be atleast 21 years old to buy ammo. But some stores require a permit to sell pistol rounds. I found this to be a problem buying SW 40 ammo at Dicks sporting goods.

In CT you must be atleast 21 years old to buy ammo. But some stores require a permit to sell pistol rounds. I found this to be a problem buying SW 40 ammo at Dicks sporting goods.

That is rediculous. There are plenty of carbines that shoot pistol ammo. Pretty much every pistol round can be shot out of some kind of rifle on the market. This is why I don't shop at big box stores and give my buisness to the little guy. They tend to know more about the regulations and their products.

You DO NOT need to be 21 to buy ammo...maybe 21 to buy pistol ammo (if its a federal law)..but i have bought ammo at dicks, walmart...cabela's.and 2-3 gun stores and never been asked for ID, much less my pistol permit.....i would recommend buying through the mail...cheaperthatdirt.com....ammoman.com....save some money..

My local wally world is posted saying you only need a CT photo ID to buy ammo and not a pistol permit. Not required by law, but that's their policy. Never been asked to show one, though.

There is no federal law requiring someone to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. Lots of rifles and carbines out there shoot handgun rounds, starting at the bottom with .22 lr...

My local wally world is posted saying you only need a CT photo ID to buy ammo and not a pistol permit. Not required by law, but that's their policy. Never been asked to show one, though.

There is no federal law requiring someone to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. Lots of rifles and carbines out there shoot handgun rounds, starting at the bottom with .22 lr...

18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1) prohibits a Federal firearms licensee from selling or delivering a firearm or ammunition to a person under 18, and prohibits selling or delivering a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition other than for a shotgun or rifle, to any person under 21. Punishable by up to 5 years.

18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1)or ammunition other than for a shotgun or rifle, to any person under 21. Punishable by up to 5 years.

But, what if the pistol ammo is for a rifle? Ruger 10/22, one of the Kel-Tec SUB folding carbines, lever action .45 ACP rifle, etc. I know I bought .22 LR all the time before I turned 21 and don't recall ever having a problem.

But, what if the pistol ammo is for a rifle? Ruger 10/22, one of the Kel-Tec SUB folding carbines, lever action .45 ACP rifle, etc. I know I bought .22 LR all the time before I turned 21 and don't recall ever having a problem.

I agree with you as I have a 9mm Kel-Tec folding rifle.

Click here to go to an ATF order form where you can order a free copy of publication ATF Publication 5300.4 Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide and ATF Publication 5300.5 State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms. You might have to click on "Publications" in the blue window to bring up the right list. Makes great light reading!

I was at WallMart in Wallingford and a guy in front of me had several boxes of ammo, the checkout womand asked if it was for a rifle or pistol, he said rifle, showed his drivers license and that was that. It was all pistol caliber ammo.

Back
Top Bottom