• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need 3-way adjustable buttplate recommendation for 700p and troubleshooting FTFs

I have a Remington 700P, it came with H-S precision stock from the factory. Recently I have been experiencing FTF (Failure to Feed) quite a bit. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this, or a competent gunsmith recommendation would be appreciated.

Another issue is that the rifle does not fit my anatomy well. I am thinking about getting Karsten cheekrest and an adjustable buttplate. I would like the buttplate adjustable -way (LOP, height and cant/angle). I think I can achieve NPA (Natural Point of Aim) consistently if the buttplate is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch high and at a slight angle.

There are plenty of options (Graco, Jones, stockpositioning.com - CIRS, Morgan) bout I have never seen them in person, only online and I don't know which ones would work best.

Is there a reputable local shop that works on precision rifles?

P.S. This rifle shoots 0.5 MOA in its current form. I am looking for hardware that will not degrade the accuracy.

P.P.S. May be I should just go with Accuracy International AX chassis? It's expensive, but it will definitely solve all of my problems.

Karsten cheekrests do work well, and are an easy install. Can't help with the adjustable buttplate, but I'd certainly consider shipping it to a shop that specializes in that kind of work, since all they would need is the stock.

FTF - I'm not familiar with the 700P, so if something I suggest seems impossible just ignore it. [smile] Is the bolt not picking up the back of the next cartridge in the magazine and riding over it, or is the cartridge being pushed by the bolt and then not making it up the feedramp into the chamber? In either case, I'd be looking at the magazine first. Magazine springs installed backwards can sometimes cause the cartridges in the mag to nosedive, making hitting the feedramp challenging. Some rifles it's not possible to install the springs wrong, and I'm not familiar with the 700. Recent FTFs on a rifle that was working make me think that either something wore out (which is just unlikely on a bolt action), was damaged (magazine feed lips) or assembled incorrectly (mag spring, mag body not in correct position because of foreign object, follower backwards). Pictures could help diagnosing this one, for sure.

Good luck!!

You might want to contact someone like Ken Rucker and see if he can install adjustable recoil pad and cut a,adjustable comb kit into the HS stock?
Other than that maybe your best bet is to find a rifle match close by go join in and explore the other equipment. Maybe a F class match or some other precision rifle type match?

Heres kens link. http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/ I only know one person with a remington 700
It has a bell Carson stock. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...-channel-synthetic-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I can't say it's any good. He shoots cheap ammo so accuracy is so so.

Fail to feed , I assume you mean the bolt over rides the cartridge.
Often there is crud or flashing on the bottom of the rails which won't allow cartridge to rise to its,full height in the magazine.
Often times sadly the mag spring and followers just suck in so,many rifles.
Also make sure the action sits firmly and squarely in the stock.
Last take a long hard look at the bolt where it picks up the case rim.
Make sure it's a,nice edge and not rounded to the point it hops over the case rim.

Last edited:
You might want to contact someone like Ken Rucker and see if he can install adjustable recoil pad and cut a,adjustable comb kit into the HS stock?
Other than that maybe your best bet is to find a rifle match close by go join in and explore the other equipment. Maybe a F class match or some other precision rifle type match?

Heres kens link. http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/ I only know one person with a remington 700
It has a bell Carson stock. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...-channel-synthetic-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I can't say it's any good. He shoots cheap ammo so accuracy is so so.

Ken has done work on my shotguns with great success, but shipping is a pain. Sergey at Rustblue in Natick and Mike Pigney in Taunton also do very good stockwork.

Sergey has done some great work on a few trap friends stocks. I wonder if he plays with the synthetic stocks though? Cant hurt to call. I did a poor mans adjustable stock on a synthetic 870 stock. I had to fill the stocks cavity with expoxy. Not knowing a good source for high strength expoxy in the quantity I needed I paid 90$ for a 3lb can of loctite Hysol. and a basic comb kit from brownells. Almost cheaper to buy a stock already fitted with adjustable comb.... was a Im going to do it no matter what! project.

these are pretty basic and I installed one on a rifle for a friend. No length of pull option though. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part.../jones-stock-adjuster-prod10089.aspx?psize=96

I was poking around for some parts for a older 22 target rifle and stumbled across these..... expensive yes

http://www.masterclassstocks.com/photos/popup/pro628_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Is yours the 300 win mag? The feed issue it pretty common and the back of the mag needs to be bend upward. Also make sure you box mag has a little wiggle room. If its in there tight it could cause problems. If these don't fix it I would send it back to Remington. They have been going down hill lately as I read more and more about the problems with QC.

Oh and IMO avoid Rust Blue if you can help it. There are much better options out there. My one experience with him was that he was condescending towards me about doing my own work on guns then he messed up the work I over paid him to do (head space a barrel due to me not having gauges and not wanting to miss the monthly shoot at Devens the next day)

Is yours the 300 win mag? The feed issue it pretty common and the back of the mag needs to be bend upward. Also make sure you box mag has a little wiggle room. If its in there tight it could cause problems. If these don't fix it I would send it back to Remington. They have been going down hill lately as I read more and more about the problems with QC.

Oh and IMO avoid Rust Blue if you can help it. There are much better options out there. My one experience with him was that he was condescending towards me about doing my own work on guns then he messed up the work I over paid him to do (head space a barrel due to me not having gauges and not wanting to miss the monthly shoot at Devens the next day)

How did he mess that up? How much did he charge? I have only seen his stock work.

Back
Top Bottom