NBA players brandish pistols in locker room

richc

NES Member
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Th...vestigation_centers_on_conflict_with_teammate

It took all of a few hours into 2010 for us to get the first update on a potentially huge NBA story. By now, you've probably seen the story that broke on Christmas Eve: Gilbert Arenas had guns in his locker.

Arenas told The Washington Times he took his guns to the Verizon Center after his daughter, Hamiley Penny, was born this month. About a week later, he said he handed them over to team security to give to police.

"I wouldn't have brought them to D.C. had I known the rules," Arenas told the newspaper. "After my daughter was born, I was just like, 'I don't need these anymore."'

It was dumb, but it sounded like we'd all be able to move on with our lives. Depending on who you believe today, this might've been a lot deeper than just getting rid of some iron at the house.

Two reports came out in the wee hours of the morning. Yahoo! hit the web at 1:44 a.m. ET with news that the NBA's investigation has been linked to a "confrontation with teammate Javaris Crittenton."

The league’s ongoing probe hopes to determine whether Arenas had accessed any of his unloaded firearms while engaged in the dispute prior to a team practice at the Verizon Center on Dec. 21 in Washington. Tensions between Arenas and Crittenton escalated because of a festering disagreement between the two players, sources said.

The New York Post hit with its version around 2:53 a.m. ET, and as with all things in life, offers a view that's a bit more sensational -- and factually different in a lot of instances.

NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washington Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.

League sources say the pistol-packing point guards had heaters at the ready inside the Verizon Center, the Washington, DC, home of the Wizards -- whose name was changed from the Bullets over gun-violence concerns.

It was the three- time all-star Arenas, 27, who went for his gun first, sources said, draw ing on the 22-year-old Crittenton, who quickly brandished a firearm as well.

Yahoo!'s report doesn't come right out and say they drew guns with each other -- it uses the term "accessed," whatever the heck that means in the instance of getting a gun. Also of note is the fact that The Post describes the incident as occurring on Dec. 24, while Yahoo! cites an incident on Dec. 21. (Did The Post mistake the date the news broke for the date of the incident?)

The Post also brings up a disturbing second part to this whole thing, which is the fact that Crittenton would've also had to have a gun. (Or did he grab another one from Gil's stash. This is unclear.) They also report the "festering disagreement" was a gambling debt and include the money quotes -- both second-hand and first-hand from Crittenton's "playground pal" Kendrick "Bookie Ball" Long.

First, the alleged quote from Crittenton in the locker room, at Arenas:

"I'm not your punk!" Crittenton shouted at Arenas, according to a league source close to the Wizards.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources said.

And second, the quote from "Bookie Ball," which is a great name and doesn't at all make me think of a player who has thrown games for gambling purposes.

"He [Arenas] was f- - -ing with him; he [Crittenton] was just defending himself!" declared Long, who said the dispute was over money but would not elaborate.

As with all things Vecsey/NY Post-related, I urge you to take it with a grain of salt. There's usually some degree of truth, they're usually different shades of truth than, for instance, the Yahoo! report.

Everybody, hand all your guns to the police once your first born child is delivered. That way we'd all be able to move on with our lives!

I recall that when they were known as the Bullets there weren't any gun issues.

An example of why I don't watch basketball any more. Gangsters and thugs have taken it over to suit the rap demographic.

I used to go to Laker games in the 1980s. Those were real men.

An example of why I don't watch basketball any more. Gangsters and thugs have taken it over to suit the rap demographic.

I used to go to Laker games in the 1980s. Those were real men.

Same with football. I lost count how many players have been caught with illegal drugs, and have questionble backgrounds, including long rap sheets. When that guy from the Bengals died just a couple weeks ago from (falling off his moving truck?) they said he had an extensive rap sheet. Its a shame that most "Idols" and "superstars" are nothing more than a bunch of degenerates.

It begins before they're even superstars. Growing up in Waltham they had a pretty important football team. It was well known these guys commited armed robery, assault, and other crimes. However, the local PD always looked the other way. These guys were the "big local stars" and nothing could happen to them. One law for them and another set for the rest of us.

I imagine some pro athletes have always been thugs and fools. But at that time we relied on the newspaper, radio and television for our news, and things could easily be squashed.

Now we have the instantaneous distribution of information across the internet. In addition nearly everyone walks around with a camera, voice record and/or video recorder via their cell phones. Video surveillance and security cameras are everywhere. And the distribution of this information is no longer limited to a few media outlets. Info has so many different ways to get out.

I don't know if today's players are statistically more violent, but this is nothing new. I just think the info is far more prevelant.

OK... trivia question... ML Carf of the Boston Celtics... anyone remember an incident with him involving a weapon???

[grin]

Just the sort of players we want our kids looking up to, huh? professional athletes in general, they make more and more money, just sick salaries, and as time goes on they have less and less moral values. teams are more willing than ever to hire criminals or a__holes just because they can play well.

Money is a multiplier of personality.

If you are an alcoholic, money makes you more of an alcoholic
If you are an adulterer, money makes you more of an adulterer
If you are a drug addict, money makes you more of a drug addict

I am not surprised when I read about an athlete acting a fool. Money has just multiplied their personality.

Yahoo!'s report doesn't come right out and say they drew guns with each other -- it uses the term "accessed," whatever the heck that means in the instance of getting a gun.

My guess would be that both had guns in lockers, especially if they were changing after a practice or game, when it would be unlikely for them to be carrying on their person(s).

Go figure. That was the reason for me getting my LTC.

I don't have kids or a family, but I couldn't fathom living in today's world with kids and not having a means to protect them.

My guess is that he's saying that to sound like a family man and not a criminal, or who knows, maybe he just buys into the "A gun in the house is more likely to be used against a family member" BS.

Money is a multiplier of personality.

Very true. Reminds me of that Bill Cosby "Cocaine is a personality enhancer" joke.

What's funny is one of these fools owed the other a large sum of money from a bet...
1. They both carry "unlicensed" concealed weapons.
2. Neither one shoots the other.
3. So they are both just posing as bad asses but can't follow thru.
4. Wouldn't you either:
(A). Fight the guy who owed you the money
(B). Hire someone to kick his butt
(C). Take him to court ?

Seems like another case of phoney, over paid pro-athletes trying to act like they own the world and will do what ever they dam well please despite the rules you and I have to follow.

Oh that makes perfect sense... he pulled a gun on a teammate and was just kidding around... yeah right.

Rich

"Washington (CNN) -- Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/04/nba.players.guns/index.html

Nothing to see here but some good old fashioned thuggery. I think this guy should get more time then Plax did. At least what Plax did to get himself caught was an accident. This ass bag pulled an illegally owned gun in Washington D.C. over a gambling debt.

Oh that makes perfect sense... he pulled a gun on a teammate and was just kidding around... yeah right.

Rich

"Washington (CNN) -- Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/04/nba.players.guns/index.html

i don't understand why...
1. he thought it would be a funny joke
2. showed it to anyone, friend of not, publicly

Too bad they didn't shoot each other. Then we would have had 2 less idiots roaming around. Actually they would have missed because they have probaly never even shot a gun.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom