• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Naturalization paperwork question re: weapon sales

Hi - sorry, but I need to revitalize this thread. My name is Chris and I live in Florida (at least it's east) and I have the exact same issue.
I would love to find out what the OP did and how the UCIS reacted. Thanks.

My issue: I am in the US on a Green Card and will naturalize this year. So I am
just filling out my N-400, which has been pretty straightforward.
But I legally own a couple of firearms and also have a Concealed Weapons Permit (Florida) and I am thinking about selling two firearms before handing in the N-400 later in the year.
And that brings me to Part #11, Question 18: "Did you ever sell give or provide weapons to any person?"

Well, I understand the background of the question to make sure I am not an arms dealer. But what would I answer once I sell my legal firearm here in the US with a bill of sale? Sure, I can say "Yes" and attach an explanation, but what would the consequences of any "Yes" in Part 11 be? Is that a reason for denial?
So understanding what happened to the OP would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Hi - sorry, but I need to revitalize this thread. My name is Chris and I live in Florida (at least it's east) and I have the exact same issue.
I would love to find out what the OP did and how the UCIS reacted. Thanks.

My issue: I am in the US on a Green Card and will naturalize this year. So I am
just filling out my N-400, which has been pretty straightforward.
But I legally own a couple of firearms and also have a Concealed Weapons Permit (Florida) and I am thinking about selling two firearms before handing in the N-400 later in the year.
And that brings me to Part #11, Question 18: "Did you ever sell give or provide weapons to any person?"

Well, I understand the background of the question to make sure I am not an arms dealer. But what would I answer once I sell my legal firearm here in the US with a bill of sale? Sure, I can say "Yes" and attach an explanation, but what would the consequences of any "Yes" in Part 11 be? Is that a reason for denial?
So understanding what happened to the OP would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Chris, I'm unfamiliar with the forms, but what if you keep them? Is there another question that would be worse to answer??

ETA: If yes, then sell to a FFL and answer yes but note that it was an FFL. They shouldn't have a problem with that. Selling to an individual might raise questions regarding you and the person you sold to.

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, the entire process can take up to a year until it is completed.
So keeping them is an option, however I would prefer to liquidate and buy new equipment.

In a way, I don't want to make my buying/selling of firearms a subchapter of the naturalization process.
At the end of the day, I am engaging in a perfectly legal and transparent transaction.
So I have a hard time believing that this could be a deal breaker. But you never know. :)

Selling them through documented channels is a good idea.

Does anybody know what happened to the OP and what he did?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Jordan,
What was your experience in the end if you do not mind to share?
I am in the same situation. Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Hi guys,

I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone has gone through the process before and can chime in on my conundrum:

I am about to file my US naturalization paperwork and [hopefully] become a citizen sometime next year. In the process of filling out the 21-page form I came upon the following question:

"Did you ever sell, give, or provide weapons to any person, or help another person sell, give, or provide weapons to any person?"

The interesting thing is, this question is listed amongst questions like "Are you a member of a terrorist organization?" and "Were you involved in genocide?" and all "yes" answers in that group require additional explanation in writing.

Here is my question: since when are legal gun sales lumped together with genocide and terrorism? I am a legal permanent resident (over 14 years in the US), hold a resident LTC-A in MA and a non-resident P&R in NH, and have been [legally] buying and selling weapons from dealers and individuals (same as most people on this website, I presume). Why do I need a justification?

And if anyone has gone through the naturalization process, maybe they can share whether they were delayed or excessively questioned regarding their weapons sales?

Thanks!
--Jordan

I became a citizen a couple years ago, I put "no" for that question but during the interview I told them guy I've sold guns to an FFL before (kind of a trade-in type deal) and he said no problem.

Also where it asks what organizations you're a member of I put the NRA and the interviewer was like: "a lot of people wouldn't have put that...." it was cool though he was a marine so we just talked about guns for a while and the whole thing was easy.

I went through that a couple of years ago. I put down gun sales on FA-10 and there were no problems.

Hi Jordan,
What was your experience in the end if you do not mind to share?
I am in the same situation. Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

I advise my clients to answer yes to that question, and attach a typed or printed explanation per the instructions

Answer Item Numbers 1. - 21. If you answer "Yes" to any of these questions, include a typed or printed explanation on additional sheets of paper"

This is not a 4473 where any "Yes" is an automatic rejection.

Hi guys,

I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone has gone through the process before and can chime in on my conundrum:

I am about to file my US naturalization paperwork and [hopefully] become a citizen sometime next year. In the process of filling out the 21-page form I came upon the following question:

"Did you ever sell, give, or provide weapons to any person, or help another person sell, give, or provide weapons to any person?"

The interesting thing is, this question is listed amongst questions like "Are you a member of a terrorist organization?" and "Were you involved in genocide?" and all "yes" answers in that group require additional explanation in writing.

Here is my question: since when are legal gun sales lumped together with genocide and terrorism? I am a legal permanent resident (over 14 years in the US), hold a resident LTC-A in MA and a non-resident P&R in NH, and have been [legally] buying and selling weapons from dealers and individuals (same as most people on this website, I presume). Why do I need a justification?

And if anyone has gone through the naturalization process, maybe they can share whether they were delayed or excessively questioned regarding their weapons sales?

Thanks!
--Jordan

I strongly recommend to talk to an immigration lawyer. Legal interpretations can be confusing and wrong answer or its interpretation is very bad.

So far by my search, answering "yes" (with supporting documents) or "no" seems both result passing the interview. I do not see any denial case because of answering "yes" to that question based on google results.

Really, is there any official explanation on this question and the definition of "weapon"?

Here is my question: since when are legal gun sales lumped together with genocide and terrorism?
another blast from the past [grin].....i didn't read the whole thread but i don't see the word "legal" in that questionnaire inquiry provided by the op.

So far by my search, answering "yes" (with supporting documents) or "no" seems both result passing the interview. I do not see any denial case because of answering "yes" to that question based on google results.

Really, is there any official explanation on this question and the definition of "weapon"?

I'll tell you what. Look at post #2, and find that lawyer. You'll also see him listed on the Comm2a website and the GOAL website. Call that number. When my wife answers, tell her you want a consultation with the attorney. She'll set you up with a 1/2 hour consultation for $100. When you arrive, I'll tell you to answer yes and attach an explanation. Then I'll deposit your check.

Simple answer; Get a real good immigration attorney who also knows how the LTC/ licensing system works.. You screw up- you're screwed. Lawyer screws up- he's sued. Worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom