• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

national guard to patroll chicago?

I just saw this as well

CHICAGO — Two lawmakers who believe violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the Illinois National Guard must be called in to help made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

A recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded — mostly by gunfire — prompted the request from Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford. They were joined by Willie Williams, whose son was shot and killed in 2006.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/na...ll_chicago_violence/srvc=home&position=recent

Shocking that the complete gun ban isn't working [rolleyes]

James on April 25, 2010 2:36 PM

First you get the National Guard patrolling the streets. Next you get a curfew. Finally Ver R ur Papers Fräulein?

this guy wins lol

They might as well paint targets on all of those Soldiers. The only ones the law makers can blame are themselves. When you take away the right of the people to defend themselves then you leave nothing but a society of predators and victims.

I dont know it might be a good idea? I lived in chicago for 30 years and giving people ccw permits wouldnt help whats going on there. I do think everyone should have the right to carry a gun so dont think im against ccw. But whats happening in chicago is 14 to 24 y/o gang members that are getting killed. My whole family and most of my friends are gun owners and wish they would change the law in IL so they could ccw. But like I said ccw wouldnt work to stop the violence because the people that are shooting and getting shot are mostly under 21 and criminals that shouldnt have guns anyway. What chicago needs to do is get the gangs under control and if they need the help of the N/G to do so be it. Just my 2 cents.

Let the pols get out there and protect the populace, without firearms. Oh wait, I bet some of them have CCW.

Let the pols get out there and protect the populace, without firearms. Oh wait, I bet some of them have CCW.

In Chicago, elected officials are also sworn law enforcement personal and thus are exempt from laws restricting firearm ownership. Gotta love Chi-town.

As far as the violent issues in Chicago:

Issueing CCWs is gonig to help, but it's not the solution. The solution is to solve the problem - rampant gangs and the violent gang mentality. Chicago is today where LA was in the 80s.

Deploying the NG might be part of the solution, but it's a sign of complete failure of they system. And yes, it will paint a huge target on the NG troops.

Barry should make a humanitarian mission to the "Windy City" and gather the leaders of rival street gangs for a beer summit.
No need for the guard,just a cupie 40oz.

If law enforcement did their jobs, they wouldn't be looking for alternatives!

Barry should make a humanitarian mission to the "Windy City" and gather the leaders of rival street gangs for a beer summit.
No need for the guard,just a cupie 40oz.

Not a bad idea. Get 'em all in one room and close the door and lock it. Then let some poisonous snakes go free into the room. My, my.

I dont know it might be a good idea? I lived in chicago for 30 years and giving people ccw permits wouldnt help whats going on there. I do think everyone should have the right to carry a gun so dont think im against ccw. But whats happening in chicago is 14 to 24 y/o gang members that are getting killed. My whole family and most of my friends are gun owners and wish they would change the law in IL so they could ccw. But like I said ccw wouldnt work to stop the violence because the people that are shooting and getting shot are mostly under 21 and criminals that shouldnt have guns anyway. What chicago needs to do is get the gangs under control and if they need the help of the N/G to do so be it. Just my 2 cents.

So how are troops going to help that situation? You're either going to have a situation where you've got unarmed soldiers patroling a street without the ability to defend themselves or you're going to have armed troops patroling the street with select fire weapons and no training in law enforcement. Soldiers are not police. Soldiers are a hammer. This situation goes WAY beyond such a simplistic solution. Chicago suffers from the same problem MA does only worse - these creeps are arrested and liberal sentencing puts them right back on the street.

What exactly do they expect the Guard to do? They couldn't even use MPs in an L&O capacity properly. There's a difference between securing a city and policing a city, and the military can't and shouldn't be asked to police a city on U.S. soil.

What exactly do they expect the Guard to do? They couldn't even use MPs in an L&O capacity properly. There's a difference between securing a city and policing a city, and the military can't and shouldn't be asked to police a city on U.S. soil.

+1 Bad idea.

A co-worker of mine was in the NG in Miami after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. They had a Hum-vee and a NG unit assigned to each police officer since the NG had no police powers until specifically requested to assist a police officer. In one incident, they were driving their hummer to a police offier "taking fire" When they arrived, they dismonted their Hum-Vee and they had to follow procedure.

They were there for almost 30 seconds before the police officer asked them why they weren't shooting and they told the police offier - "We can't shoot back until you specifically ask us for assistance." the officer was dumb founded, they'd come rolling up in a Hummer with a Ma-Douce on the back, carrying M-16s and shotguns and couldn't do a dang thing until the officer asked them for assitance.

Extremely stupid idea to hide their own ineptitude. What fking idiots.

Edit: This kind of call up will be a State expense since it is not a federal call up or federal declared emergency. So instead of talking about spending state money to hire more law enforcement to specifically and strategically just handle the crime areas...they call for Military assistance.

My guess is that next they will ask for federal money for this.

This has been the argument for border states to put their Guard on the border. The cost burden would be on the state itself without a federal mission.

Last edited:
If law enforcement did their jobs, they wouldn't be looking for alternatives!

This is true, but when they show up to a shooting scene they are still getting shot at with auto weapons. I have a friend thru a friend thats on the pd he was on facebook talking about how its like being back in the war. Last time I was in chi town he was telling us about the patrol cars are riddled with bullet holes. Plain and simple they are just out gunned, they should have AR 15s or mp5s but Daley wouldnt that that happen.

They have been letting these gangs get out of hand for years betwen the cops and the justice system and now they are seeing the results.

Regardless of what happens there, it's still up to the law enforement to bring order to the streets and not the NG.

This is the job of either a citizen's militia, the local sheriff or the incorporated (useless)Chicago police department. It is not the job of a federally funded army. This is a local problem, not a national emergency.
Whomever the sheriff is, he should deputize however many people he needs to completely over run the streets of the city and use whatever force nesessary to subdue the gangs there. Its obvious the city police haven't done anything about it for years and are unlikely to start doing anything anytime soon.

This is true, but when they show up to a shooting scene they are still getting shot at with auto weapons. I have a friend thru a friend thats on the pd he was on facebook talking about how its like being back in the war. Last time I was in chi town he was telling us about the patrol cars are riddled with bullet holes. Plain and simple they are just out gunned, they should have AR 15s or mp5s but Daley wouldnt that that happen.

Daley should be the very first "GANG MEMBER" arrested and imprisoned for life without parole.

Oh , it's gang violence , kids killing each other ?

Lemme take a wild guess :

These aren't kids playing 1950's gangs , like The Fonz in "Happy Days" , are they ? I'm guessing it's organized Heroin trade.

your friend is full of shit. i did the first round of installs on 600 ARs in the Chicago PDs squad cars in May of '09. the second round in squad cars and tahoes is going out this june. the department pays for the carbine, the officer qualifies and passes a PT test, and then he's allowed build it as he sees fit. we've been trying to standardize upgrades to match weapons racks for months now. the cops are not outgunned. this is a political move to get people conditioned to seeing ACUs on the streets.

I love the way you don't mince words!

I hope the country continues it downward spiral. It's readily apparent that the endgame of such a crash is the only way to resolve our problems.

So...the Chicago machine works tirelessly to make the city into a cesspool and now they are baffled by the stink? That house needs to be cleaned from the attic on down.

Are you f'in kidding me? I hope people understand that this is the wrong idea. Then, again, what do you expect from Obama's Motherland?

HERE'S A NOVEL IDEA: LET PEOPLE HAVE THEIR GOD GIVEN RIGHTS TO DEFEND THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES.

No. This is called the New World Order!

Politics. It's an attempt to make someone look bad, my guess the mayor but I'm not well versed enough in their local craphole to make any kind of accurate guess. They're not serious about the guard, this is grandstanding.

Very true. VERY big difference.

Back
Top Bottom