Nashua fri night practice?

msdamato

NES Member
I'm interested in shooting some high power this season and wondering if a few Friday nights would be an appropriate start?

I have shot 3 CMP clinic matches in the past so I feel like I have enough experience with the cadence of the match but they were reduced matches shot at 100 yards.
I've shot well past 100yards before but never open sights.

What will I NEED for equipment? I have a 20" colt bar that shoots great with my reloads but have yet to stretch her out. Would love to buy a NM rifle but price and availability being what it is I'll have to wait till I get a feel for it.

Your rifle may or may not be appropriate. Does it have a float tube under the hand guards? What twist barrel? What weight bullets are you loading? Etc., etc.. More info on what you have is needed.
You can certainly use most any safe rifle capable of keeping it's rounds on the target, but using equipment that won't hold the black is going to be very frustrating.
You'll need a spotting scope for scoring.

I'm going to Nashua tomorrow (Sunday) to shoot the match. I can very easily throw my spare rifle and some extra ammo in the truck and you are welcome to use it. All the come-ups are written right on the side of the stock; nothing could be easier.

PatMcD, thanks for the offer. I unfortunately can't join you tomorrow.

My rifle is a 1/7 twist and the handguards are not freefloat. My reloads are Hornady 75Gr BTHP. I have played with a few different loads for this rifle and the hornady 75's shot best. Again, only at 100yds.

I guess my ultimate goal is to do some matches but I would like to get a little intro to the distance and at the same time see what my equipment will or will not do.

Also past experience tells me that I should not run out and buy a competition rifle before I use what I have and see what I like and dont like. I've also gotten some great deals buying used equipment from those that are more experienced.

My rifle is a 1/7 twist and the handguards are not freefloat. My reloads are Hornady 75Gr BTHP. I have played with a few different loads for this rifle and the hornady 75's shot best. Again, only at 100yds.

I guess my ultimate goal is to do some matches but I would like to get a little intro to the distance and at the same time see what my equipment will or will not do.

Also past experience tells me that I should not run out and buy a competition rifle before I use what I have and see what I like and dont like. I've also gotten some great deals buying used equipment from those that are more experienced.
Excellent thinking. My buddy just bought a slightly used Service Rifle with a fresh Krieger barrel for $1000.

Good bullets. I shoot 75's across the course. Pretty sure you can add a free float tube to that gun. If memory serves me correct it only costs $125. Beats buying a whole new upper.

Yes I could add a free float handguard but I'd like to see what the rifle will do before investing anything into it or another gun.

My name is Mark... I actually run the Friday night practice at Nashua.
The intent was to give guys a little more trigger time at 200, if we can get enough people, we could even move this back to the 300 with pit service.

Msdamato the practice typically follows the CMP/NRA competition format where we will do offhand or rapid sitting at 200 practice.
You are more than welcome to shoot with us and see what it's all about, it is open to the public for $5, we start at 5:00pm and normally get about 1.5 - 2 hours of shooting time before the shadows start to take over the targets. If you come after 5pm, we will typically have a couple targets at one end so people can join us, and spot there own shots.

What we have seen the past 3 weeks or so, only 3-4 guys showing up and we will typically spot our own shots thru our spotting scopes.
So if you want to swing over and join the fun, I am running the Friday night practice till mid July or so...

~Mark

Last edited:
Mark,
Ill try to end my day in the Manchester/Nashua area on Friday. I should be there by 4 or 4:30, maybe earlier. What time do you get there? I'm happy to help set up.

I will be there around 4:45, but if it rains as the forecast is calling, we may cancel this Friday... If I do, I'll post it on here.

~Mark

I'm interested in shooting some high power this season and wondering if a few Friday nights would be an appropriate start?
QUOTE]

Hi,

I run the NRA 80's at NFGA and you are correct that the Friday night practices are a good place for newer shooters to start.

After that we typically recomend newer shooters attend a couple of the NHHPRL League matches and / or Prone matches at NFGA before entering one of the NRA 80's.

You should have solid zero's, solid positions and a rifle and ammo combo up to the task before entering an NRA 80.
Last Sundays NRA 80 had 39 shooters and the matches move at a fairly fast pace

Extra sighters and coaching are allowed in the NHHPRL league matches and the 3 x 600 matches.
Extra sighters are allowed in the (300, 500, 600 yard) Mid Range Prone matches.

Mark, I and a couple others are usually willing to help new shooters get up to speed as much as our spare time permits.

Reading Rifle and Revolver has a bunch of great shooters that are often willing to help newer shooters out as well.
http://readinghighpower.com/

George

Last edited:
Looking at the weather for tonight, they are calling for some heavy rain from the tropical storm "Andrea".
I will cancel tonight's practice...

~Mark

Back
Top Bottom