My Son with the buckmark

I took my Son out to the range the other day plinking and thought you guys might want to see the progress he has made. He is shooting the Browning Buckmark .22 and doing most everything on his own with me coaching him and being right there beside him as a safety officer. I have spent hours with him over the last 2 years with dry fire drills, grip, sight alignment as well as on the safety aspect and finger out of the trigger until on target and ready to fire and keep weapon downrange etc. He is doing a very good job and I am proud of him. He is 10 and I only hope he continues to show interest in the sport. On the 2nd mag I told him he could rapid fire if he wanted because he always wants to do that. For some reason he did not though. HMMMMMM... wonder where he gets that from. :) maybe its Dad and the machine guns. Ha ha....

anyways I am always very hesitant to post videos of my family but I thougt you guys might want to see a part of the next generation of shooting. I certainly am proud of him.

Rob

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v673/5150rob/?action=view&current=conbuckmark.flv

Last edited:
he really is a good kid and I have been working hard through the last 5 years of educating him on firearms and their purposes. I try to spend time with him getting him to understand not only the safety principals but also the applications of shooting as a hobby and for SD. Of course I do it for a living as an Instructor and part time LEO but I want him to enjoy doing it just because its part of our American history. Other than training days I try to bring him as much as I can when I go plinking to keep him exposed to it. He is at the age now where its no big deal anymore you know what I mean? He understands how serious it is to be safe but he does not look at guns as "taboo." He understands a purpose for them and I think that is so important today. Kids just dont get much of this today. He is one of the only kids in his class that knows anything about shooting or goes shooting with a parent for that matter. What a shame dont you think.

anyways I kind of cringed when he went to reload it and had the full mag in the opposite pocket and had to hand switch the pistol in order to get it out. I certainly am not worried about his tactical applications at age 10 as I am more aware of his safety awareness and manipulations. Anyways he is making progress.
Thanks for the kind comments. Much appreciated guys,

Rob

Last edited:
Thats great!

I started my son at about the same age, he's 13 now and kind of addicted to skeet shooting. There is no greater joy than seeing him beat 75% of the adults he shoots with. [smile]

Keep up the good work!

Awesome - my daughter wants to start but she is only 9. How old is your boy? When did you first start him with a real gun?

Very nice......the best memories I have of my dad are from our times spent shooting. I am very glad he introduced me to the sport.

I also have fond memories of hanging out with the guys at the gun club. As a teenager I feel that I learned a lot of life lessons from the "Old timers" from the club.

Good for you and keep it up.

Awesome - my daughter wants to start but she is only 9. How old is your boy? When did you first start him with a real gun?

Well - that settles is then. I'm gonna bring her out an get her started. Its nice to have a kid that you feel is responsible enough to understand what the deal is with firearms. You (and I) are both lucky I guess...

Kurt

Back
Top Bottom