my sbr broke

garyz

NES Member
i have a gsg-5 that i put on a form 1
had it for a couple of years, 20k+ rounds.
went to clean it tonight, and the bold carrier
is broken. the s/n is on the bolt.
i emailed ati about replacing the carrier, etc...
in the event that the bolt can not be saved,
what do i do? a new bolt would have a new s/n
would i have to go through the nfa process again,
or is there a way to ammend the s/n on the approved form 1
any / all info is appreciated

thx
garyz

I'm pretty sure the GSG-5 has the serial number on the receiver as well as the bolt, I assume you engraved the receiver? If so, that's the "firearm" for the purpose of Federal law, the rest is just bits of metal and plastic.

You should be fine with replacing the bolt, as it isn't the "gun" for your NFA build, having mismatched serials for parts other than the receiver just lowers the value, does not affect your tax stamp registration.

Last edited:
the s/n is on the lower also
the upper receiver is engraved, where you see
the s/n on the bolt. the lower is plastic, so it could
not be engraved.

Upper right-hand "clamshell" is the part that counts for ATF purposes.

the s/n is on the lower also; the upper receiver is engraved, where you see the s/n on the bolt. the lower is plastic, so it could not be engraved.
The serial number is everywhere on these things, but the one that counts is the engraving on the right side of the upper clamshell. Sometimes that engraving is under the handguard, here's an example where you can see bolt, receiver, and barrel are all numbered:
a10mv.jpg

Technically, with a Form-1, you are the "maker", and the piece of metal on which your name is engraved is the "firearm". In the case of a GSG-5, this piece of metal must be the right upper receiver casting.

Last edited:
gun is still as accurate as ever, i can't hit the broad side of a barn
but the gun is good.
kevin, seems like you are saying the bolt s/n is not an issue
i truely hope you are correct, would make my life a lot easier

thx for the info
garyz

gun is still as accurate as ever, i can't hit the broad side of a barn
but the gun is good.
kevin, seems like you are saying the bolt s/n is not an issue
i truely hope you are correct, would make my life a lot easier

thx for the info
garyz

The bolt serial is for some european nations or other weird countries where they regulate the gun differently, what Kevin is saying is right, only the receiver matters... and in the US on rifles its either an upper or lower receiver that is regulated on most rifles. A bolt typically is not the part. If the part where your engraving is, is still intact, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Mike

Exactly. There's a sn on the bbl of a your Glock. That means absolutely nothing. The only part that matters any bit to anyone including MA and the feds is the serialized receiver. Thats the "firearm". Everything else is just a part, with no regulation whatsoever.

so i got an email from the manufacturer, after i sent an inquiry to them
they are confused why i send a stock w/ this gun, and have to have their legal
team review. i sent a copy of my nfa form 1 (front and back )
i'm guessing they lost it. i will call them in the morning to find out wtf

Well, now that explains it why they were concerned that you added a stock to the gun.

You bought a pistol from them and you returned a SBR for repair. There are added worries with a NFA firearm. It would
have been better to remove the stock before shipping.

No big deal. But I can totally understand why they got a bit twitchy about it.

Don

but i included a copy of my form 1 that should have been enough
i called them / and faxed another copy, so they are all set

Oh you are right. I'm challenging that. But people get a little nervous when it comes to NFA stuff. Usually its not logical, but they do.

Too bad you couldn't make that into a MG. That would be fun.

Back
Top Bottom