My S&W MP AR build, questions and progress.

Just looking to get a few answers about my new AR Build as Im starting to order the rest of the parts.

First and foremost - regarding the Smith and Wesson MP AR receiver:

Is it designed for commercial receiver extension tubes or mil-spec? I would imagine being designated as a "Military and Police" receiver it would be mil-spec but boy would it set me off if I ordered the wrong stuff!

LPK's - are there any advantages to one LPK over the others?

I will probably be running a stock trigger group for a bit, but will soon upgrade to a match group, likley a CMMG or a Gissele if I can find one. Any other suggestions? Anything to steer clear of?

For my upper I will be running a flat top with a EOS holo, what are your thoughts/opinions on running an upper with a fixed front sight and the holo? Ive shot my friends DPMS with a fixed front sight and a holo - its kind of annoying but not something I couldnt live with/get used to.

What would your suggestions be for a upper? Purchase complete or run with the rest of the gun and do it piece by piece? Im not looking for a terribly long barrel, but it wont be an SBR either - I dont want/need this for shooting huge distances, I have other tools for "reaching out and touching" things [laugh]!

Any MUST have's with the upper? Weight is not a huge issue but, again, this isnt going to be a bench rest gun/lying in the bushes on a bipod.

Here is what Im looking at so far:

MP lower
MagPul MIAD grip
MagPul CTR stock
MagPul extended trigger guard
16" chrome-lined barrel, 5.56 x 45 mm (suggestions?)
Modular rail system of some sort (suggestions?)
Eotech 512 holo sight

Thanks for all the advice!

-Coop

Last edited:
You can use the Mil-spec tube on the S&W.

For the rail system either the Troy or DD Omega are two outstanding products.

IMHO I'd go with the Aimpoint RDS just because Eotech has have had some pretty bad QC as of late.

Also for your BCG make sure its properly staked and/or get the crane upgrade kit from BCM.

As far as an upper I LOVE my BCM 16" middy. BCM will be getting their 14.5" in stock soon and you can easily SBR your rifle, and if you do not just get the FH/FS you want and then have it permanently attached to avoid having a NFA firearm.

Thanks for the info Skald!

Any recomendations as to where to purchase the BCM upper/brows around at what they offer? I googled it and couldn't seem to come up with a website.

Go with the Aimpoint over the Eo-Tech. If you get the Larue cantilever mount your irons will cowitness in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint objective

-DM-

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at the Del-Ton stuff yesterday Rob, but there advertising 12-16 weeks for deliver which is quite a bit longer than Id like to wait!

Ill also check out the Larue stuff.

I called Del-ton yesterday thinking LPK's were ready to ship. Told the lady I wanted three and she said, "ok, just so you know, there is a 16 week wait before you will get them". screw that

Yikes. Sorry I pointed you guys in the wrong direction. I was just going on what the website said without actually placing an order. [hmmm]

Whoops. I just ordered one, and then got sent back to the main page, and saw the notice about the wait. Oh well... May as well stay on the waiting list?

It's just like being on the waiting list for a Harley - when it finally shows up, and you don't really want it, there's always someone willing to pay a little extra to not wait.

Back
Top Bottom