My S&W M&P 9mm is jamming, jamming, jamming.. anybody else?

I find this excuse to be pure BS 99% of the time, whether it's a Glock, M&P, or otherwise that is malfing. It's usually the gun, unless the shooter is like 98 years old and has the hand strength of a toddler, limp wristing is improbable most of the time. If I want to purposely limp wrist a gun (eg, to -make- it malf) I have to hold it so loosely it'd be considered a dangerous condition by most. There are some exceptions here and there- eg, POSes like the Seecamp .32, etc, where if you don't death grip them, they will malf, but for something like an M&P.... no way.

-Mike

Same here. I've tried on all of mine without succeeding.

I find this excuse to be pure BS 99% of the time, whether it's a Glock, M&P, or otherwise that is malfing. It's usually the gun, unless the shooter is like 98 years old and has the hand strength of a toddler, limp wristing is improbable most of the time. If I want to purposely limp wrist a gun (eg, to -make- it malf) I have to hold it so loosely it'd be considered a dangerous condition by most. There are some exceptions here and there- eg, POSes like the Seecamp .32, etc, where if you don't death grip them, they will malf, but for something like an M&P.... no way.

-Mike

I had a Sigma that I had to death grip in order to get it to cycle.

I've had quite a few FTFs (jams) in my M&P9c. At first, it was me limp-wristing it, and holding the slide back and gently closing it, versus just "letting it fly" and snapping closed, which works better. I've also found that the Remington 115gr UMC ammo from Dick's sucks in this gun. Much better results, with fewer jams, with Federal or WWB from Wal*Mart. No problems with personal defense ammo from Remington or Speer. Also, clean and LUBE (liberally) the M&P. Make sure you oil/grease the slides and anything involved with parts moving back & forth.

Last edited:

-Mike

Mike, Mike, Mike...I'm going to have to have you shoot my Seecamp sometime...no death grip needed. It doesn't even stovepipe on the last round[grin]

As to the M&P issue, I've never had a problem with mine.

I've had quite a few FTSs (jams) in my M&P9c. At first, it was me limp-wristing it, and holding the slide back and gently closing it, versus just "letting it fly" and snapping closed, which works better. I've also found that the Remington 115gr UMC ammo from Dick's sucks in this gun. Much better results, with fewer jams, with Federal or WWB from Wal*Mart. No problems with personal defense ammo from Remington or Speer. Also, clean and LUBE (liberally) the M&P. Make sure you oil/grease the slides and anything involved with parts moving back & forth.
The firearm has jammed for several people, including my buddy who has 2 other flawless M&P's.. Must just be mine. I've tried 3 different ammo mfg's... and I just bought a 4th. Same results with all of them. Frankly, if the gun is finicky with ammo, I don't want it. Right now, I know one of my problems is the mag follower catching on the mag release holes.. I hope this is the root of all my issues. I'm going to call S&W when they get back to work after the holidays and see if a second trip back to the factory fixes it. Thanks for the advice.

You live in NH, so it's probably not a valid point, but you have a 10 round magazine, they use the same mag barrel as the compacts. Swap basepads with a known good compact mag, and check that out.

I don't seem to recall my M&P ever failing, sounds like you got "lucky." I've shot a bunch of different flavors of ammo through it, too.

Good luck with Smith, they've got some good folks working there, and do try to make things right.

The M&P 9 is back from S&W. It appears to be fixed. S&W replaced the barrel, mag catch, & extractor. They did indeed back up their warranty.

I've had some jamming with my M&P 9 but only with the reloads I was using. Anytime I used new ammo, mostly Winchester, it's been fine. I hope your new fix works. I love this gun.

hang in there Dave, S&W has the finest support in the gun world. Your gun has a lifetime warrantee, they will get it right for you. I own 4 of the M&P's with thousands of round through all of them. Zero problems and just a blast to shoot. Give Smith the opportunity, in the end you'll be a happy guy. No need to spend a dime to have anyone else look at it, don't get pushed into any bad decisions. Be kewl, enjoy your friends M&P's, S&W is on a holiday break I believe, so give em a week to get back to work.. good luck, if I can help, let me know

S&W's customer support is not what it used to be. I contacted them when the front sight on my M&P Pro fell off. They told me to fix it myself.

LOL! Lets stop pulling out the 20 year old pics of .40cal Glocks.

Why not Google kabooms for the LCR, HK 45, bolt action rifles, AR-15/10, lever action rifles/shotguns, SW revolvers, Berettas, XDs, Sigs, 1911s.

Those were only in the first 5 lines of Google images.

second to say you shouldve bought a Glock, then you could have just blown it up out of the box... and then bought the M&P... type "glock kaboom" into your explorer....

GlockKaboom.jpg

Just responding to the fanboys...

LOL! Lets stop pulling out the 20 year old pics of .40cal Glocks.

Why not Google kabooms for the LCR, HK 45, bolt action rifles, AR-15/10, lever action rifles/shotguns, SW revolvers, Berettas, XDs, Sigs, 1911s.

Those were only in the first 5 lines of Google images.

Hello,

First off, let me say I'm new to shooting. The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Full size is my first firearm. I have been learning from a friend who has been shooting for years. He has TWO M&P's and they both work flawlessly, and are very accurate. They are the reason I bought the M&P 9mm FS. But I have had nothing but problems since I purchased it new in Oct of 2011.

My initial problem was failure to extract, on multiple occassions. After being unable to diagnose, I sent it back to S&W. They executed a repair "barrel work", and sent it back. Now I get stovepipe jamms, or the follower hangs up on the mag release hole in the mag and the follower doesn't push cartridges up. I can't go through 20 shots without a jam, on either of my mags. I have ordered another mag, but have been waiting for almost a month for S&W to fill backorders. I can put endless rounds through my buddies M&P9C or his M&P.40, I doubt I'm limp wristing. My gun jams on whomever shoots it.

It's going back to S&W again for repair as soon I can get ahold of customer support.

So my question is.... anybody else see this behavior? Do I just have a bad egg? or is this indicative of the M&P 9 FS?
I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Best Regards,
Dave
[sad]
Just lately I have been experiencing the same problem.
Maybe 1500 rounds fired since I purchased the gun 3 years ago .

Just lately I have been experiencing the same problem.
Maybe 1500 rounds fired since I purchased the gun 3 years ago .

If it previously fired fine and just started to do this, check the extractor and ejector to make sure they didn't get damaged. For the extractor, not only do you want to ensure there's a clean ledge to pull case rims (free of nicks/defects), but you also want to check the range of movement to make sure it isn't seized up for any reason. If both are fine, then maybe look into feeding and timing by checking mag and recoil springs for any issues.

But maybe OP can chime in. He's had 11 years to sort this out, so I'm sure he must have some feedback by now.

I found that using steel-cased 9mm and .45ACP in my pistols (multiple) caused all sorts of problems. I solved the problems by never again shooting steel-cased ammo in any of my pistols.

Back
Top Bottom