My review of Yoder's Canned Bacon (picture heavy)

As an aside, an excellent deal on rice is @ BJ's Wholesale. A 15 lb. bag of Indian basmati can be had there for $13. It is BJ's branded (Berkely & Jensen) and identical to the ~1/3 smaller @ $7 a bag supermarket basmati.

Before opening, store the cooler the better (but don't freeze)... i.e. basement. After opening, the fridge.

I just had some for lunch a few minutes ago. Still tastes fresh.

As for rice, I buy jasmine rice at BJ's in 25lb bags. The prices went way up a few years back, but at $15 per bag is still cheap eating. If I eat a scoop of rice for just myself each day, every day, one bag last me 2 months. I don't usually finish off a bag that fast though.

I looked at the 25 lb. ones but had a concern about long storage, i.e. critters. How do you store the 25 lb. after you start using it? 25 lbs. would take as a long time to work through us we only have rice a couple times a week.

I'm in the process of finishing this rice that I bought about 4-5 years ago, and it kept perfectly fine despite being 1.5 years past the "best by" date now. (I also stored some in buckets with mylar bags and O2 absorbers... those are still in the buckets.) All I did was store in the basement in its original bag. BUT, I don't have mice in my house. A cabin that I sold did have mice everywhere, so I could not keep anything out in the open except salt. The 5 gallon buckets should work well for keeping what is in use.

I would never keep brown rice this long though. I've found brown rice to be full of weevils after only 6 months -- yuck!! That's the main reason I don't buy it. It has to be eaten right away, or prepped for long term storage.

I'm in the process of finishing this rice that I bought about 4-5 years ago, and it kept perfectly fine despite being 1.5 years past the "best by" date now. (I also stored some in buckets with mylar bags and O2 absorbers... those are still in the buckets.) All I did was store in the basement in its original bag. BUT, I don't have mice in my house. A cabin that I sold did have mice everywhere, so I could not keep anything out in the open except salt. The 5 gallon buckets should work well for keeping what is in use.

I would never keep brown rice this long though. I've found brown rice to be full of weevils after only 6 months -- yuck!! That's the main reason I don't buy it. It has to be eaten right away, or prepped for long term storage.

That is an impressive shelf life. Thanks for the follow-up.

Back
Top Bottom