• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My review of Yoder's Canned Bacon (picture heavy)

Prepper

NES Member
I bought a bunch of cans of Yoder's Canned Bacon roughly a year ago, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out until today. For those who have not heard of it, this product stores for 10 years, is pre-cooked, and is nearly indistinguishable from bacon you cook yourself. It costs $11 or $12 per can, and each can contains 50 slices. That may seem expensive, but it works out to around the same price you'd otherwise pay for bacon you have to cook yourself when you compare number of slices. And let's face it, who really wants to go through the apocalypse without bacon? Those beans and rice are going to get boring real fast with no way to flavor them up.

Here's the can, which is surprisingly small... just in case you were expecting a #10 can:

IMG_1381.jpg

Can opened up:

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm preparing rice and also have the eggs ready to go to scramble on the frying pan:

IMG_1385.jpg

At this point, the contents did not just slide on out. So, I opened up the other end and easily pushed the whole thing out, all neatly wrapped in wax paper with a light coating of lard (mmmm lard):

IMG_1391.jpg

OK, great... now what? Never having done this before, it wasn't immediately apparent as to the best strategy here. I only wanted 5 pieces for now, with as little mess as possible. Let's try unrolling it....

IMG_1392.jpg

Okay... still not easy to pull a piece out without making a mess. It looks like the roll was folded in half, so I unfold it:

IMG_1393.jpg

Now we're making progress... I wanted 5 slices, so I pull off what looks like 5 slices, each is folded in half:

IMG_1395.jpg

Meanwhile, I roll up the remainder as best I can, put them in a ziplock bag and put back in the fridge. I wonder how long they'll keep (I'm guessing a month is a safe bet):

IMG_1397.jpg

Back to the 5 slices... I unfold them and find a couple were stuck together, so I have 7 slices. I'll be more careful next time:

IMG_1399.jpg

Looks just like real bacon to me. And, the cats are obsessively following me around too... they've never had bacon, but they instinctively know they want it. I broke off a piece and tried it -- tastes wonderful! I microwaved them for 20 seconds (hardly even necessary... I love cold bacon too).

Meanwhile, I finish up with the rice and scrambled eggs, plus some salt and pepper. Dump them all together, and I have lunch:

IMG_1403.jpg

Incidentally, the rice has been stored since 5 years ago. I highly recommend this product... it is better than I expected. And, I am now officially ready for the zombie apocalypse.

I love that stuff!

Here is a neat trick I learned from Jack at TSP:

When I open a can, I lay the bacon down and spread it out on a paper towel. Then I place another towel on top of the first layer of bacon. I repeat this layering until all the bacon is laid out.

Then I nuke it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. This melts the lard and the paper towels soak up almost all of it. Then I place the bacon in a zip-lock and put it in the fridge.

My wife could not tell the difference between Yoder's and grocery store bacon. She was really surprised to learn it was from a can. I was really surprised she kept eating it!

An opened can doesn't last a month in our house. With bacon this good, we find all kinds of things to do with it.

Great review!

Thanks for taking the time to do a great post with pics.
Now the question of the day.
Where is the best place to buy the cans of bacon?

He mentioned his cats too, so I just have to do this [smile]

images.jpg

ETA: Great post. I always wondered if I would have to force-feed canned bacon to my kids on a campout.

nice review. [cheers]

wow, this brings me back! i haven't had eggs with rice in over five years! -used to eat it all the time as a kid... eggs, rice and ketchup!!!!!

there is a Peruvian (sp) Restaurant in Somerville that makes a great plate with Steak, Eggs and Rice... *drool*

My only question: Who eats rice with eggs?????

It's big in the Pacific, SPAM eggs and rice, I think I even ordered it at the one McDonald's on Saipan.

Sounds like a pretty good meal for energy as well:
rice- carbs
eggs- protein
bacon- protein & fat

Not to mention it smells good and you feel great after eating for awhile.

It's big in the Pacific, SPAM eggs and rice, I think I even ordered it at the one McDonald's on Saipan.

it's more of a cultural thing... [wink] lots of hispanic (Caribbean) and asian dishes include rice w / eggs... hell, "good" fried rice always has eggs in it... [laugh]

Filipinos. We're divorced now, but I still carry on the eating habits I obtained from that. Mmmmmm..... adobong manok.......

Huh, learn something new every day. [thumbsup]

DIET coke? No way... aspartame is really bad for you. But, I'd be curious to try the regular bacon-flavored coke.

I love bacon but thought this stuff would not look very appetizing.

Bzzzzzzt, Wrong!

Nice write-up, excellent pics. I think I will buy a couple cans to put aside.

Once question, what is the recommended storage temperature?

Back
Top Bottom