• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My RC S/42G restoration is complete

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Well, I finally finished the restoration of my RC S/42G (1935). The coup de grace was the all matching Weimar Obendorf bolt from a Gunboards member. I have never seen a marked bolt shroud retainer pin. In nearly a year and a half, I have replaced the RC stock with a Mario special, a matching 1936 Walnut Weimar Obendorf including trigger guard, floor plate, follower, and spring. The finish was stripped off and now has many coats of hand rubbed Tung oil. I knew I could never find a S/42G stock, so I decided to match things as close to a bolt MM as I could to the other stock instead. The numbered trigger screws and Weimar capture screws came from another Gunboards member, and yet another Gunboards members get credit for the sight spring and eventually the ramp whenever I have time to bully it off the rear sight assembly. The S/42G sight leaf came from Numrich. All visible numbers are now "56" or "65", the ejector box and rear sight leaf at 61, and an original front sight "00". Cleaning rod is unmarked. Every other part (32) bears an Obendorf WaA; K155/167, WaA63, 135, 211, and 655.

This one is the best shooter of my six K98s.

Any ideas on what I should claim on my insurance rider for this rifle when I renew this month?

Picture029.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

6609range43bnz.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Beautiful piece. When you finally have an item as nice as that rifle you sit and just imagine the stories that thing could tell. Where it was made, the people who assembled it , the soldier who carried it. How it made its way to the US. Very very nice. Congratulations!

But I have to agree with my good friend, looks like a shotgun blast. [wink]

How much is it wroth. PRICELESS!!! IMO

Another target. This rifle is dead on; almost as good as my M03 Springfield. I usually only shoot at 100 yards, seated, sling rest, with Yugo MilSurp. On the Gunboards forum it was suggested to claim what I have into it (and I won't say!).

42gtarg.jpg

MS

Some more pics; cold and rainy weather is hard on digital photos. These are archived.

As I first bought it:

1935.jpg

Other views (old RC bolt)

101_0556.jpg

101_0557.jpg

101_0558.jpg

scrwe3.jpg

screw2.jpg

scrwe3.jpg

Last edited:
Tim... you could be that guy that takes a mut Russian capture K98 and scours the world for years searching for the original parts that were scattered about in some Russian armory and redistributed as parts of other rifles. Thumbs up for your efforts.[thumbsup]

Every time I look at pics of the Mauser's you guy's own, it makes me want to cry over the deal I passed up about a year back. Walked away from an all matching (except for the barrel band) German K98k with no import marks that looked like it was kept in a safe since it was built, and the really sad part is the guy only wanted $180. An older guy who was far more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff told me it was worth far more and to jump on it, but I walked like an idiot while he threw down the cash. I have been looking for a German K98k ever since, and haven't found another near that price, and any comparable are a lot more money.

Very nice rifle, I have always wanted one. Maybe someday.

Is there a book I can buy to educate myself further on Mausers and all the variations and what all the markings mean? I really want to know more about them, as they are my favorite rifle. Thanks.

Don't forget the new Kriegsmodel book available on Amazon and Gunboards. The best mid/late war K98k book available, authored by two Gunboards K98k moderators. They are now starting work on an early war sequel. Pricey at nearly $100 shipped. http://www.kriegsmodell.com/

MS

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on the books. I will be heading to a few bookstores later today, maybe I can find something there, though i doubt it. If not they will be ordered. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom