• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new S&W 642 revolver is broken

yanici

NES Member
Brand new (Dec. '08) and the trigger was rough. I dry fired, it got worse. It got so bad I had to push the trigger back manually because it got stuck. So I oiled it through the hand slot. Seemed to fix the problem. Shot 250 rounds at the range over a couple of trips. All ok I thought.

Well the oil I put in is seeping out and it's black. So, I gotta pop the sideplate and clean it out in there. I did just that.

Popped the sideplate and lo and behold I found the problem. The dang pin that the hammer pivots on has broken away at its weld to the frame. The gun was operating with the hammer pin only inserted into the sideplate hole.

This is a no-lock 642-1. Man, I hope S&W doesn't try to pawn a IL model frame off on me. That just can't happen.[sad]

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that now I gotta go naked. This is my only gun.

Last edited:
Hammer stud is press fit. They will press a new one in. Also, NEVER oil through any hole It is kinda like taking all medicine as a suppository. . Needs only 3 DROPS of oil for entire lock work placed in specific places.

Same thing happeded to my 637, and on that gun, the finish was also destroyed because I learned the hard way you shouldn't carry a gun in a leather IWB holster while you sweat mountain biking. They replaced the entire frame on mine for free, and it was used and under no warranty. They'll take care of you.

Hammer stud is press fit. They will press a new one in. Also, NEVER oil through any hole It is kinda like taking all medicine as a suppository. . Needs only 3 DROPS of oil for entire lock work placed in specific places.

Sounds good. But I'll bet that the side plate hole that the stud sits in is probably worn or elongated from doing all the work by itself.

Back
Top Bottom