My New Rifle and His Two Friends

Just bought this preban AR from the classifieds, added an EOTech 512.A65 (Four Seasons got me one in 1 day, Carl called while i was there, arrived next day, amazing price). My SOCOM 16 is in background (going to get a scope, definitely considering another EOTech because it is so great, but I think I want 2x or 4x magnification instead). My Para OPS is also there, always ready for a photo-op.

It is funny, the difference between .223 and .308 is night and day. Was shooting AR all day, no recoil. Switched to SOCOM, hurt my shoulder in like 2 shots. Had on a sleeveless shirt, made my shoulder bleed a little due to metal buttplate, had to put a pad on it. SOCOM goes through cinderblocks like butter though, so it is definitely the go to rifle for well aimed longer range shots. I mounted a Harris bipod through weep hole, can't even tell that a threaded hole for bipod stud is there, I love it.

Can anyone recommend a sling for the AR that is good for CQB, support of firearm on the move, and easy to use. I have a 3 point sling but it is complex and won't let me switch to weak hand... Plus it just doesn't seem to support the weight of firearm or secure it during shooting.

Thanks

rifles.jpg

dvajda...is the recoil of that socom that significant? last week i was shooting my cousins national match and found the recoil to be next to nothing...i went from shooting my AR to his m1 and while you can obviously feel the difference...i didnt think it was that bad...a socom is HIGGGGH on my list of things to purchase next...although my recent purchase of 2 AK's has left the gun fund pretty dry

are those the thermold mags you got in the AR? i saw them at four seasons and didnt know how well theyd work

SOCOM and Mags

Actually, I find the SOCOM to not have a bad kick, but it has a textured metal buttplate. I had a sleeveless shirt on, and it cut my shoulder/armpit area. Also, the kick isn't bad, but it breaks blood vessels on the shoulder/armpit area as well when i fire it. Like the next day, I have a red outline of the stock where it kind of leaves a bruise if i fire 40 or so rounds. But it is a FUN LOUD toy, people are always amused. If you stand next to it during firing, you get some impressive wind from the compensator...

I'm using the mags from Four Seasons in the AR, yes. They are excellent, but I've never loaded them up fully. But they feed fine, I've had no problem with up to 5 rounds, never tried more... And, they are sooooo smooth to put into my Bushy lower, i mean, its amazing how they glide in and out. You don't even realize its clicked in. I recommend, but I can't vouch for how it works fully loaded up. I would think it works with 5, it would work with 20, since spring would just have more push...

For what it's worth, I bought two of those Thermold Mags from FS and I've loaded them to capacity. No problems feeding other than the last round once on one mag, and there ARE nice and smooth going in and coming out of the mag well. Not trying to hijack the thread, but someone had a question about the mags further up and I figured I'd try to help.

fooped...thanks for your input as well...guess ill go see carl tomorrow!!

dvajda i meant to ask...what kinda groupings did you get with the socom? some said the length of the barrel effects accuracy and that if i were to get the scout model, with 18 inch barrel that accuracy would improve dramatically

Well

That is Crak's rifle, just added my own EOTECH because Frosty beat me to it!

I've gotten fine groups with the SOCOM, definitely 3-5 MOA, but we have to take into account that I am a HORRIBLE shot. Seriously. It is my first rifle, so if the learning curve is similar to my handguns, in a year I should be able to hit things. That said, I have had friends with experience shoot it, and they didn't say anything bad about it.

As for the Scout vs SOCOM, I think the argument is a little silly. My range is 100 yards. I believe that with a 2" barrel difference, you would not see any accuracy degradation at anywhere up to probably 200 yards. I am pretty sure an expert shooter could hit with similar accuracy with both rifles. On the other hand, it may be easier to hit things with the extra barrel length for poor shooters such as myself.

I think it is more about controllability than anything else. Right now I am more accurate with the AR than the SOCOM at 100 yards, but it is because there is no real recoil on the AR, and I need to get a better butt plate for the SOCOM (metal is not cutting it, or actually is cutting my shoulder). Plus I need a scope for the SOCOM, the EOTECH on the AR gives it a great advantage.

If you want the SOCOM, and don't plan on shooting ultra long distances, just get the SOCOM. I love it, and I don't think 2" either way will make a lot of difference at short to medium ranges. I don't even have anywhere where I could shoot long range...

Back
Top Bottom