My New Reloading Setup Completed

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
Last 2 weekends I spent each saturday setting up first my bench and then this week the press. Its a Dillon 550B - setup right now for .45

I recommend getting the instructional video for the 550 as it made the setup so much smoother.

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

I got familar with it this weekend - pressing out a couple bullets (no primer or powder)

I am waiting on my dust cover, primar tray, caliper, and extra toolhead direct from Dillon. If I had received those prior to this weekend I would have already been calculating loads but without the caliper I still have a bit of adjusting to do on the sizing of the bullet seating and crimping.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Wow, that looks great. I am in the process of setting up mine also, but yours is way nicer. However, I want to see a picture in about a year and see if it still looks so neat! LOL!

Wow, that looks great. I am in the process of setting up mine also, but yours is way nicer. However, I want to see a picture in about a year and see if it still looks so neat! LOL!

Not far off I had to clean it up just to take the picture..I am going to build some shelves and possible drawers etc to finish it up.

Excellent! You will love the Dillon!

Two options that are definitely worth it: the bullet tray and the roller handle..

Nice but too neat. Give it a few years and it will take on a clutter of it's own. I will not post a picture of my bench. After 30 years of reloading, it has taken on a life of it's own. And I do keep it clean. It just has a lot on it.

Nice!

One suggestion: don't run the tumbler on the bench... they can "walk" off the edge.

Understood I ran some .45 through it this weekend and just put it to the concrete floor while it did its magic.

Dillon's Forum is pretty good I had a question on the setup and got a reply within a day... nothing I needed to call their help line so its nice to know there is another outlet for getting questions answered.

Nice setup.

I like the little trick with the rubber band that holds the primer warning kit rod in place when not in use. I use to just place mine on the bench. Of course it would then proceed to get misplaced.

I have never had trouble with the case cleaner "walking" off the bench or table. I'll be sure to keep and eye out for it from now on. I usually put the case cleaner on a lamp timer so that it only runs for a predetermined amount of time.

I have never had trouble with the case cleaner "walking" off the bench or table. I'll be sure to keep and eye out for it from now on. I usually put the case cleaner on a lamp timer so that it only runs for a predetermined amount of time.

Awesome idea ... I still have a bit of work to do with the electrical around the area and that will be added to the to do list.

Nice set-up. Compact. Too neat. I would add a small overhead lamp so you can check cases for powder charges and other detail work. I keep a small flashlight handy too.Some small shelves too. Mine is not nearly as neat but you can see what I'm talking about here:

IMG_0695_3.jpg

Nice set-up. Compact. Too neat. I would add a small overhead lamp so you can check cases for powder charges and other detail work. I keep a small flashlight handy too.Some small shelves too. Mine is not nearly as neat but you can see what I'm talking about here:

IMG_0695_3.jpg
[devil2] Someone is a fan of the color red!

IMG_0695_3.jpg

I don't know...but I think I got a little wood looking at that picture...

Look at all that stuff...the brass on the table...the loading trays.

...the bag of charcoal

That's HOT!

bench modification

You may experience some vibration problems with you bench.
the 2X legs are just resting on the floor.

You could make one of several changes:

1. build a full length and width shelf and on said shelf put all
of your supplies, especially lead. if this is not enough
get some patio blocks or other similar materials to weight down
the shelf.

2. little more complicated, support the front of the bench with
temporary 2X's, lag bolt the legs to a 2X that will run along the
floor horizontally and use a "Hilti" to secure the horizontal 2X
to the cement floor

you'll find that doing this will prevent the bench from moving
in the upward direction on the upstroke of the press.

JimB

I load on my knees with kneepads because I don't have the strong mount. I get pretty sore knees after a long session. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom