My new AK-47 help

blindndead

NES Member
Just got my AK and all the parts are soaking in WD-40 to clean it up. I have followed the instruction manual for disassembly to get all the gunk out. This seems to easy. Is there something I need to know? I might be making this harder than it really is. The manual is so basic so I checked out http://www.surplusrifle.com/ak47/index.aspout it tells me the same thing.

It's an AK man! No worries!

This should also be the last time you ever have to clean it, unless of course you want it to look pretty.[wink]

The only pain in the ass thing you may encounter when taking it apart is the retention spring that helps keep in the trigger and hammer pins. I had a heck of a time getting it out and putting it back in when I installed a G2 trigger in my ak.

What is this cleaning thing you speak of? I have never heard of anyone actually cleaning an AK-47.

I ran mine for a year and half full of cosmolene before I learned howto take it apart.[smile]

There are lots of parts you can replace for improved comfort and accuracy, but thats only if you feel the need to. It'll shoot just fine out of the box. Don't forget, its a rugged military rifle ready for dirt, fouling, and mud, not a new AR.[wink]

Just make sure you get all that goop off. When it heats up during firing, it gets as hard as a diamond and is a b!tch to remove.

Don't ask me how I know!

Just make sure you get all that goop off. When it heats up during firing, it gets as hard as a diamond and is a b!tch to remove.

Don't ask me how I know!

I always figured on leaving it on mine in case of SHTF and a need to seal wounds should arise.
Ahhh nevermind, I was thinking of looking up Red Dawn on free On Demand before I went to bed.[smile]

And be careful of the gas tube. They get so hot I've seen them remove skin after firing many rounds and someone grabs that part of the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom