My Mosin

je25ff

NES Member
...it fires with a round in the chamber and when the bolt is pushed forward....

Bad news. I'm assuming this is a problem with the bolt assembly?

Is the firing pin adjusted correctly? Calipers or un molested gage.

Only thing I can think of is that I re-assembled the bolt assembly and somehow the pin is in the wrong position.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to add a new pair of underoos.
Glad (hope) you're ok OP.

Always having the muzzle down range is a great idea.

Are you saying that you are closing the bolt on a loaded chamber? Or are you stripping a round from the mag and it fires as soon as you close the bolt?

Either way, gotta be something wrong with the firing pin, but seems like you'd really have to slam the bolt to set it off.

...it fires with a round in the chamber and when the bolt is pushed forward....

Bad news. I'm assuming this is a problem with the bolt assembly?

Could be 2 things your firing pin is protruding to much. Or some how the sear engagement is no longer correct releasing the firing pin as you close the bolt.

Try disassembly and reassembly again
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

you have a gage?
one that, maybe came with the rifle (see pic)?
tool003.JPG

This..... the firing pin is too far forward.

I don't think so. That should just cause pierced primers upon firing.

When the bolt is opened, the firing pin is retracted into the bolt body and remains there while the bolt is closed until the trigger is pulled. Even if it was protruding, you'd really have to shove the bolt hard to get it to fire. And even at that it would blow the bolt back and probably break your finger.

I suspect the sear engagement problem mentioned above, its somehow releasing the spring/firing pin when you close the bolt and it fires.

I don't think so. That should just cause pierced primers upon firing.

When the bolt is opened, the firing pin is retracted into the bolt body and remains there while the bolt is closed until the trigger is pulled. Even if it was protruding, you'd really have to shove the bolt hard to get it to fire. And even at that it would blow the bolt back and probably break your finger.

I suspect the sear engagement problem mentioned above, its somehow releasing the spring/firing pin when you close the bolt and it fires.

Should check the space on the firing pin and make sure it's correct, easy enough to do. but you are correct. it's mentioned here also

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=6889.0;wap2

Should be easy enough to tell if it is the firing pin protruding too far or a problem with the sear. When the rifle is fired properly the back half of the bolt slams forward (like when the trigger is pulled). You can physically see this happen on a properly working rifle. Sooooo....when u close the bolt does the back half slam forward? If so the sear is the problem. If the rifle is still "cocked" After you close the bolt then the firing pin is the problem. The back half of the bolt slammin forward cAn be seen here at about 20 seconds in and 1 min in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bQExkfcRYsU

Last edited:
All good suggestions. Thanks. Taking a friend to the range who has never fired one before and I want to get it working.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be easy enough to tell if it is the firing pin protruding too far or a problem with the sear. When the rifle is fired properly the back half of the bolt slams forward (like when the trigger is pulled). You can physically see this happen on a properly working rifle. Sooooo....when u close the bolt does the back half slam forward? If so the sear is the problem. If the rifle is still "cocked" After you close the bolt then the firing pin is the problem. The back half of the bolt slammin forward cAn be seen here at about 20 seconds in and 1 min in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bQExkfcRYsU

At :48 the rifle will fire. In fact, I can't remember if it's in full battery or not. I can't believe it wouldn't be.

Edit: The rear knob that cocks the assembly doesn't move when pulled back. I just slid it back and could manually turn the rear of the bolt assembly to cock it. Once I did that, I could pull the trigger. Previously, the trigger was just dead.

Here's a quick video I made of it. I'm sure it's something totally retarded I'm doing. Yes, I ensured the firearm was clear.

[video]https://d1wst0behutosd.cloudfront.net/videos/7950017/20812160.480p.mp4?Expires=1457110187&Signature=h27IptNXwyQBTVym9~BswSFS5xYfLymDmxi4Ulc9 CBHKH8aPD-uPzcIRPQ1Im-h2lsAy9qNfXf2obnoUR0IYrDOZIkpidekEYHBZ0IiY7qVCDykP HGnih6lGkP7AxzK5xyaNjTvHs90yflaUBl40eDoc530jCjZxxU sczlQNoKBEXSE4IoXUBxSRMgDBCL-vTeSWrpw0GabB2bEkuy21jTrK3Q8UPO3M5HRLk-76py~QvDttiELmfeeZ-5~0Q7SndXbVQYTx7Gf2hcmln9H-mVBEI2N2imrToTmQNZn~WZMTBafEmrJZtzQDMletnN9mjd9Whp pUadL6QE2MCnky0Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJJ6WELAPEP47UKWQ[/video]

More Edit: Just stripped the entire bolt assembly. Now I have the firing pin portruding (although I can correct that piece by just screwing the rear in more) Everything is there, appears to be working, it just won't cock when I pull the bolt back.

Last edited:
Should be easy enough to tell if it is the firing pin protruding too far or a problem with the sear.

Looks pretty worn. If I put tons of vertical pressure on the bolt assembly while pushing forward, I can get it to catch and cock correctly and pull lthe trigger. It's got to be this.

25jgs2r.jpg

All good suggestions. Thanks. Taking a friend to the range who has never fired one before and I want to get it working.

- - - Updated - - -

At :48 the rifle will fire. In fact, I can't remember if it's in full battery or not. I can't believe it wouldn't be.

Edit: The rear knob that cocks the assembly doesn't move when pulled back. I just slid it back and could manually turn the rear of the bolt assembly to cock it. Once I did that, I could pull the trigger. Previously, the trigger was just dead.

Here's a quick video I made of it. I'm sure it's something totally retarded I'm doing. Yes, I ensured the firearm was clear.

[video]https://d1wst0behutosd.cloudfront.net/videos/7950017/20812160.480p.mp4?Expires=1457110187&Signature=h27IptNXwyQBTVym9~BswSFS5xYfLymDmxi4Ulc9 CBHKH8aPD-uPzcIRPQ1Im-h2lsAy9qNfXf2obnoUR0IYrDOZIkpidekEYHBZ0IiY7qVCDykP HGnih6lGkP7AxzK5xyaNjTvHs90yflaUBl40eDoc530jCjZxxU sczlQNoKBEXSE4IoXUBxSRMgDBCL-vTeSWrpw0GabB2bEkuy21jTrK3Q8UPO3M5HRLk-76py~QvDttiELmfeeZ-5~0Q7SndXbVQYTx7Gf2hcmln9H-mVBEI2N2imrToTmQNZn~WZMTBafEmrJZtzQDMletnN9mjd9Whp pUadL6QE2MCnky0Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJJ6WELAPEP47UKWQ[/video]

More Edit: Just stripped the entire bolt assembly. Now I have the firing pin portruding (although I can correct that piece by just screwing the rear in more) Everything is there, appears to be working, it just won't cock when I pull the bolt back.
ok that video helps. When yoi close the bolt the back half of the bolt should stay back. That is the "cocked" position. Pulling the trigger lets that back half slam forward firing the rifle! Yours is slamming forward when you close the bolt. Thats BAD! I would not fire it until you have a gunsmith look at it.

another suggestion.....did yours come with the firing pin protrusion gauge? If not and you have dissasembled the bolt and put it backntogether you should not fire that rifle until you check it with the gauge. If you have the pin set to protrude too far you can rupture the primer and burn your face. These old rifles are not "fire and forget".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom