My (minor) SHTF yesterday

glostamon

NES Member
So yesterday I recieve this "Reverse 911" call that our cities water has traces of E-Coli.

I consider myself better prepared then 80% of the sheep in my community,but discoverd a couple of shortfalls.We always buy spring water & have plenty on hand,I happen to like the taste of Poland Springs.I have a faucet filter in the kitchen for washing dishes,the pets,plants etc.However I have also been filling the icecube trays in the freezer w/ the filterd "Tap" water.

I decided to pitch out the trays of ice & head off to the local Stop & Shop market,what a "Horror show".There was a hudge run on what else,bottled H2O. The market was conjested with more then average pushing & bumpin'. I was in search of ICE from "Over the bridge". A couple of ladies were complaining that the Dunkin' Donuts in the store was closed because of the crisis (no dunachino's).I had to interject a little hysteria saying" Yup,I heard Dunks' could be closed for a week!" Wow the look she gave my was as if I told hershe had an hour to live.

Ahhh...the dog days of summer [laugh]

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_233231115.html

Last edited:
interesting.

kinda like the night before a snow storm. not quite STHF, but enough to get the gears turning

If you can do it, travel at least 10 miles away from the affected water source. So if you're in Gloucester, maybe go to Rockport or Beverly and pick up water there. You'll have more of a selection and less of the bumping and shoving.

If you can do it, travel at least 10 miles away from the affected water source. So if you're in Gloucester, maybe go to Rockport or Beverly and pick up water there. You'll have more of a selection and less of the bumping and shoving.

Transporting Ice 10+mi in almost 90 degree heat can be a SHTF situation in itself. [laugh] j/k

my neighbor said stop& shop & both shaws stores were sold out of water as of 8am.She was heading out of town for gallons of H2O.
These minor inconviences are a good little eye opener, for some people.
The vast majority of society has become "Soft" w/technolgy & well functioning municipal infrastructures(Water,sewer,garbage collection etc.)

Transporting Ice 10+mi in almost 90 degree heat can be a SHTF situation in itself. [laugh] j/k

my neighbor said stop& shop & both shaws stores were sold out of water as of 8am.She was heading out of town for gallons of H2O.
These minor inconviences are a good little eye opener, for some people.
The vast majority of society has become "Soft" w/technolgy & well functioning municipal infrastructures(Water,sewer,garbage collection etc.)

Oops, didn't read the part about ice. I thought you were just trying to get water. I do agree about the complacency that's exhibited today. The way I figure, it's just natural selection at work.

I live one town over from Milford. I couldn't believe how packed the grocery stores were in that area. Water was gone quick. They had problems for almost a week before they could use the water again. My mother in law was showering and doing her laundry at our house.

Oh and the horror, both DDs in Milford were out of operation for a week. The DD in Mendon was overrun something aweful!

This is just one of the reasons I keep at least 200 2.5 gallon jugs of water on hand at all times.

I’m re supplying my stores all this week.

Water, Gasoline and Propane.

I keep the water in the subbasement and bring it to the top floor 20 at a time.

It keeps cool down there and keeps the upper floors cleaner.

GloS I thought I taught you better.

I would bet 90% of you need better preps, People there is a storm coming.
http://www.survivalblog.com/

I am now making spring water ice cubes.Showering @ a relatives,boiling water to do the dishes,brushing our teeth w/bottled water,using hand sanitizer after washing my hands in the sink.
I will continue the springwater for making ice practice long after the E-Coli dilema passes. I am probally gonna get another freezer too.
We now have even less confidence in the municipal water supply's quality & know disruptions of service are an increasing national reality.

Just a confirmation of why I'm glad I have:

1. Well Water
2. Mountain Stream, right next to the house.
3. Lots of Bottled Water Stored up.
4. Emergency Water Filtration Systems; Berkey, etc...

Back
Top Bottom