My Mayor joined MAIG. *EDIT: It's ok, he left MAIG*

Turbocharged

NES Member
Got the notice from the NRA that the mayor of Gardner (Mark Hawke), has join "Mayors Against Illegal Guns", a liberal anti-gun organization founded by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

I know I will be sending Mayor Hawke letters and calling his office, anyone have some particularly good points?
I know very little about MAIG, other than they should be renamed "Mayors Against Legal Guns".

I am not happy. [angry]

ETA:
We have found out that he did in fact quit MAIG because of their true goals and the missleading nature of their organization.

Last edited:
aren't mayors supposed to support law enforcement in their cities anyway? They might as well join Mayors for Illegal Arson or some other nonsense.

I scanned the postcard in for anyone that wants to see it. I know a couple people on here live in Gardner, I suggest you guys send a letter or call him.

Attachments

• MAIG.jpg
    MAIG.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 80
When I heard Menino and other mayors were going to a meeting in Washington D.C. on August 24th, I knew they would be pushing for enrollment in this MAIG org.

This sounds like a rehash of the same old crap the antis have been spewing for years. IIRC, there was a coalition of mayors that sued the firearms industry during the Clinton years, blaming manufactures for the violent acts of criminal misuse of their products. Thanksfully it failed in the courts and backfired on them, which led to Lawful Commerce of Arms Act, protecting manufactures from BS lawsuits.
But the leftists, being the sore losers they are, can't admit the fact that they're
wrong on this issue and keep pissing on the Constitution. [frown]

You might want to ask yourself: What exactly is an "illegal" gun and why haven't these mayors joined the following causes...

Mayors Against Illegal Sporks?
Mayors Against Illegal Cars?
Mayors Against Illegal Fingernail Clippers?
Mayors Against Illegal TVs?
Mayors Against Illegal Pools?

[thinking]

Got the notice from the NRA that the mayor of Gardner (Mark Hawke), has join "Mayors Against Illegal Guns", a liberal anti-gun organization founded by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

I know I will be sending Mayor Hawke letters and calling his office, anyone have some particularly good points?
I know very little about MAIG, other than they should be renamed "Mayors Against Legal Guns".

I am not happy. [angry]

[email protected]

I haven't decided exactly what I am going to send.

I may just ask that we meet to chat a bit.

Maybe you can use something from this letter:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/6840
August 17, 2009

VIA FACSIMILE and U.S. MAIL

Honorable Michael R. Bloomberg
Mayor of the City of New York
253 Broadway, # 9
New York, New York 10007

Subject: Resignation from Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG)

Dear Mayor Bloomberg,

Upon careful review of your statements and actions, listening to the concerns of many of my constituents and receiving communications from and speaking with firearm industry officials, I hereby, effective immediately, resign my membership in the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition. I am withdrawing because you are attempting to erode all gun ownership, not just illegal guns.

I have learned that the coalition may be working on issues which conflict with legal gun ownership, and that some actions on your behalf are dubious. I joined your coalition because of its purpose to combat the criminal acquisition and misuse of guns, which is a goal shared by every single American. Regrettably, it has become continuously clear to me that you are using this coalition of mayors to advance a hidden agenda of bringing lawsuits against members of the firearms industry and spreading anti-gun propaganda.

Mayor, you and your coalition of allies have misrepresented yourselves to the mayors of America and its citizens. This effort is simply another attempt to shift blame for violent crime from criminals to law-abiding gun owners. This is gun control, not crime prevention. These tactics do not target illegal guns, but rather honest citizens and lawful dealers, essentially criminalizing all gun ownership. This coalition makes no distinction whatsoever between law-abiding gun owners and violent criminals.

Please Mayor Bloomberg, instead of being a part of a misguided coalition and advocating attacks against law-abiding gun owners, I ask you to direct your efforts towards strict enforcement of existing laws in our cities to ensure both our safety and civil rights. I am dedicated in defending and advancing the right of Ohio citizens to own and use firearms for all legal activities, including self-defense and competitions. We need to defend our Constitutional rights to keep and bear arms.

Mayor, I can only hope that you will see my departure and the recent departure of other mayors from your coalition as a sign that things must change. We are all on the same side when it comes to stopping criminals from getting guns. Where you lose me is in your true quest – to end lawful firearms ownership and destroy a lawful American industry.

Warm personal regards,

Marlene B. Anielski, OCPM
Mayor / Safety Director
Village of Walton Hills, Ohio

Word back from Mayor Hawke in Gardner.

He has rescinded his membership in MAIG as of about two weeks ago.

This is very good to hear!

Word back from Mayor Hawke in Gardner.

He has rescinded his membership in MAIG as of about two weeks ago.

This is very good to hear!

I called them and this was confirmed.
I couldn't believe it when I got the notice, he's a Republican. It was a "WTF?!?!" moment.

I was glad to hear that he realized what was up and left MAIG.

I had heard that a few Mayors had resigned because the group was mis-leading. Course, some of them could have gotten wind that the NRA was sending notices out to members. Nothing like getting beat up in an election year to change one's stance on sumpthin. [laugh]

Does anyone have specific examples of how MAIG and Mayor Bloomberg are misleading other mayors around America? I would like to send a letter to my mayor with specific examples.

Thank you,

The Bradys respond.

From: Paul Helmke, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence <[email protected]>
Subject: Support Mayors Fighting Illegal Guns
Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009

-----------------------------

SUPPORT MAYORS FIGHTING ILLEGAL GUNS: CALL YOUR MAYOR TODAY

Dear xxxxxx,

The Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of more than
450 mayors from around the country committed to reducing illegal gun
trafficking in their communities and nationwide.

Now the NRA is trying to undermine Mayors Against Illegal Guns with a
campaign based on misleading information to bully mayors into dropping
out of this important coalition. We need your help in supporting those
mayors who have signed on to fight illegal guns and to help recruit
new mayors to join the coalition.

If your mayor is part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, call or email to
thank your mayor for joining. If your mayor is not part of the coalition,
call and urge your mayor to join.

Let's support our mayors who oppose illegal guns and are fighting to
keep our families and communities safe.

****************************** HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:

1. Click here to find out if your mayor is part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns:

If your mayor is listed as a coalition member: Call or email their office and say: "Thank you for your participation in Mayors Against Illegal Guns and keeping our communities safe."

If your mayor is not on the list: Call or email their office and say: "I urge you to join the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition."

2. Forward this email to friends, family, and colleagues:

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts across the country:

Together, working with mayors, and other allies, we can fight illegal gun trafficking and help to keep our communities safe.

Sincerely, Paul Helmke, President Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

The Brady Campaign, along with its sister organization, the Brady Center, is the nation's largest, non-partisan grassroots organization leading the fight to protect you, your family and your community from gun violence.

© Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

You can also mail a check to: Brady Campaign & Brady Center
1225 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100 Washington, DC 20005

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

Back
Top Bottom