• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My LTR jams some -- what's the best ammo to feed it?

Prepper

NES Member
With the exception of the sling, I have my LTR all set up. For years now, it has had an occasional jamming problem that I have yet to adequately solve. I believe I clean and oil it (CLP stuff) enough. It is jamming frequent enough that it may give me trouble when I attend Appleseed shoots. With 4 loaded 10-round mags, odds are it'll jam up at least once during this. But other times, I can put 100+ through without a problem.

I can best describe the jam as follows: usually, the cartridge is bent [right where the lead part ends and the case begins) and partially inserted into the barrel, and a second one is in the chamber. This second one may be a spent case or an unfired one. Racking it often clears it but sometime I have to hold the bolt open and extract the stuff with my micro Leatherman .

Could it just be the ammo? I switch between various CCI ammo usually. I haven't been able to find one that reliably works all the time.

With the exception of the sling, I have my LTR all set up. For years now, it has had an occasional jamming problem that I have yet to adequately solve. I believe I clean and oil it (CLP stuff) enough. It is jamming frequent enough that it may give me trouble when I attend Appleseed shoots. With 4 loaded 10-round mags, odds are it'll jam up at least once during this. But other times, I can put 100+ through without a problem.

Mine would stovepipe about two or three out of a hundred or so. Rather than trying to fool around with ammo, I tried replacing the extractor. I've read that the factory one is less than optimal.

This is the one I got:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]&ct=65366&pd=268114

It is, to the eye, a much nicer quality part that the stock one, sharp clean edges, nice angle. The stock one was stamped.

I've not yet tried it though, maybe tomorrow, so I can't give a real report.

Have you tried to scrub out the chamber with a bore brush? Have you tried cleaning the magazines?

I've had issues with extracting and it's been suggested that cleaning the magazines would cure the problem. One of my LTRs was used by JonJ (one of the two newest RIFLEMEN!!) today with his magazines and I didn't notice him having any jams, so that might be it - his mags are new, and one would hope, clean. [wink]

Have you tried to scrub out the chamber with a bore brush? Have you tried cleaning the magazines?

Bore brush in the chamber? I do clean the chamber but not with a bore brush... just a toothbrush-like thingy that came in the cleaning kit. I thought it was pretty clean already though. I don't suppose more CLP on the bottom of the chamber would help?

I've never tried cleaning a magazine... not sure how that's done; it'd require taking apart, right? There's a quick check I could do; I have 3 new unopened mags.

Interesting idea about the extractor; I wonder if replacing it would help.

That long spring that is part of that L-shaped charging handle was extremely difficult for me to compress and get the bolt back on top of it; it required a huge amount of force to start it moving, and it's motion was very "jumpy" making it difficult to compress all the way. I covered it with CLP but that had no effect. Is this normal? I'm just guessing wildly (not being a gunsmith and all) that it may have trouble extracting if that bolt doesn't slide well?

Yes, all 4 of my mags are new. I bought a VQ extractor for my rifle but I haven't bothered to put it in.
For ammo, mine eats Federal Value Pack and CCI Blazer with no problems.

Prepper, here is a page on how to clean the magazines. Other things that I'm told can cause problems with extraction is a dirty chamber - not the receiver but the chamber - use a cleaning rod with a bronze brush or a bore snake.

Another possible cause is that guided rod might need to be polished. Look on www.Rimfirecentral.com in the 10/22 forum in the "action" section. Try here.

Polish the guide rod? How do I get the handle and spring off of it first, and then back on again? (And will there be any surprises, like the spring flying off at 100mph, or huge effort to get it back together again?)

That long spring that is part of that L-shaped charging handle was extremely difficult for me to compress and get the bolt back on top of it; it required a huge amount of force to start it moving, and it's motion was very "jumpy" making it difficult to compress all the way. I covered it with CLP but that had no effect. Is this normal? I'm just guessing wildly (not being a gunsmith and all) that it may have trouble extracting if that bolt doesn't slide well?

I found the same thing, but I think that is normal. When the bolt/guide rod/spring is not seated in the receiver then the force against the guide rod is at an angle and it hangs up. I found that one it was put back together and the bolt supported on the sides by the receiver to keep it straight, it slid smoothly. Keep in mind too that the charging handle is on the opposite side of the bolt from the guide rod which makes this effect even worse than the blowback pressure which would be centered on the bolt.

I'm trying to figure out in my head the mechanics of how a dirty magazine would cause a failure to extract, especially one like you described where the spent cartridge wasn't even removed from the chamber. I'm just not picturing how it would happen.

I doubt that the magazines are the problem too... they seem to operate just fine, not crunchy or anything when I'm inserting ammo.

Some of the jams are accompanied by a much quieter than normal "bang", as if there wasn't enough powder to properly push back the bolt.

Polish the guide rod? How do I get the handle and spring off of it first, and then back on again? (And will there be any surprises, like the spring flying off at 100mph, or huge effort to get it back together again?)
I don't think that you can remove the spring and bolt handle, so I believe (haven't tried it myself yet) that you have to hold the bolt handle down against spring pressure and polish the shaft with crocus cloth.

I have solved that particular problem in other 10/22's by CAREFULLY polishing the barrel just beneath the chamber. As I recall the ones I've examined were somewhat roughly finished in that area. The bullet hits that, sticks, and the rim gets forced under the bolt-there is less resistance from the magazine than the face of the barrel.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom