My first round...

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
...has just come off the press!!! That's right folks, my first (hopefully) match .223 round has been charged and seated! I could jump back and kiss myself!

Since there was an overwhelming response to my post, I thought I'd update.

I have my first test loads (20 in all) loaded up and ready to hit the range to check groups. It looks like I'll be able to go tomorrow.

I loaded 5 rounds at 24.0, 5 at 24.2, 5 at 24.4, and 5 at 24.5 grains of Re 15.

These are in WCC '03 brass with Winchester SR primers, 69 grain Sierra HPBT.

TonyD said:

I have my first test loads (20 in all) loaded up and ready to hit the range to check groups. It looks like I'll be able to go tomorrow.

I think we are all in shock you didn't blow yourself up. That is all, carry on. [lol]

Good deal, You know, you have to nail the first one you make to the wall....

(J/K, this could be harmful to you or anybody around you. I take no responsibility for the actuality that you may actually do this.)

derek said:
TonyD said:

I think we are all in shock you didn't blow yourself up. That is all, carry on. [lol]

My first point of success was keeping all ten fingers. After that it was about accuracy.

Rooster said:
My first one was a dummy round. Seat andreseated to may sure it was the perfect round for my rifle. I use it to measure the rest.

I set up my my dead length seater die from a loaded round and it came out with perfect AOL.

TonyD said:
derek said:
TonyD said:

My first point of success was keeping all ten fingers. After that it was about accuracy.

That's helpful as you tend to need them when shooting. [lol] I'm VERY proud of you Tony. :D

I guess I should give an update. Our match was called off Saturday because of the deluge from the day before. However, a few of us stuck around for some practice time and I was able to shoot my loads (test loads).

Long story short, I shot at 200 yards and found the 24.5 grains of Re 15 behind 69 Matchkings grouped as well as the 77 grain match I shot as a comparison. Did I mention the wind? No? Well, it was 30 mph sustained with very heavy gusts. I was able to hold about a 3" group of five with the 77's and my 24.5 grain rounds from the prone sling supported. I've since weighed and seperated the bullets by a tenth of grain. I was suprised to find that out of a box of 500 it was split about evenly 4 ways; 69 grns, 68.9 grns, 68.8 grns and 68.7 grns. I did not weigh the test loads so maybe I can make up a little accuracy. I now have about 125 rounds loaded in LC brass and will be working more.

Back
Top Bottom