• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first Japanese; a T99 long rifle with a twist...RANGE REPORT

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Filled the Japanese slot in my collection last night off Gunbroker. Here is a totally matching Toyo Kogyo Series 31 Type 99 long rifle. The Toyo Kogyo (now known as Mazda) arms factory was located in the Hiroshima Prefecture. The 31st series was produced in the second quarter of 1943. With a serial number of 81350, I assume it was made late in the 2nd quarter - either May or June. I also assume the Japanese used 'series' as the Germans used letter block suffixes, but the Japanese simply continued to count over the years and not a single year as did the Germans.

The 'twist' here is that the rifle has been converted to .30-06, and I thought it would be a great bookend for my Norge converted bcd41 K98k.

From Wikipedia:

"During the Korean War, approximately 126,500 short and 6,650 long Type 99 Rifles were re-chambered under American supervision at the Tokyo arsenal to fire the then-standard .30-06 Springfield cartridge. Apparently intended for the South Korean gendarme, few rifles appear to have been issued at the end of the war in 1953. These rifles were fitted with a lengthened magazine well and had a small notch cut in the top of the receiver to accommodate the .30-06 round's 1/3 inch greater length. Accuracy suffered, due to the difference in cartridges, rifling rate and characteristics, but they were nonetheless functional."

The chamber was reamed out by 5mm to seat the longer American round. This rifle lacks the legend lacks the “US Cal. 30,” and thus may not be a US Military conversion, but many examples were converted to .30-06 elsewhere, including here in the US. This rifle has all the 'toys' - AA sights, monopod, and full mum. Non-import marked. The sling and muzzle cover were not included in the auction. I've ordered a reproduction rubberized canvas sling for it.

These are the seller's pics.

Thanks for the look.

T

Last edited:
Cool rifle (haven't gotten "mine" yet). Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history.

Cool. Another thing that I didn't know existed. I have a regular ground-mum 99 in 7.7x58. I've shot some .308" projectiles out of it just because I could. Accuracy is good, but they shoot a lot lower than the same weight .311 projectile, probably slower due to some gas blow-by...I didn't chrony them.

55_grain

Very cool to have such an intact mum. Also, you will save a lot of time/dough being able to shoot .30-06 out of it. That's a hint to buy more HXP from the CMP…...

That's actually the short rifle like mine

Long rifle would look like..

TKW-RF-TYPE99-LONG_1_mark.jpg

こんばんは (Good evening) Arisaka-San.

I picked up the rifle today at the post office and it is in excellent shape with great wood and barrel. I added the reproduction rubberized canvas sling. The .30-06 conversion is this configuration is useless; as the receiver was not notched nor the magazine extended, this rendered an all matching example into a single shot .31-06. Why? I have a correct 42/43 original barrel on the way, and I will return it to its correct 7.7 caliber. As the Japanese did not number the barrels, it will still look totally correct at nearly 100%.

T

Last edited:
I'll probably put the spare barrel in the cabinet for now. The Japanese forum on GB explained that for $5 back in the '50's and '60's you could get a chamber conversion only and a single shot .30-06 to plink with. It is a legitimate part of the rifle's bring back history.

T

Range report. Mostly cloudy, breezy, 72 degrees. 20 rounds of HXP one at a time; headstamps of 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1982. Seated, using monopod. I liked the sights with the rear peep, save the front sight triangle nearly filled the peep hole. Aiming 6:00 low on the black, the first shots were low right. I then covered the black with the front sight and gave a little extra out at 10:00 and I started to hit black. The last 10 went higher, probably as I was not holding the rifle tightly, allowing the recoil to lift the monopod off the table. Now that I know how to aim it, it does shoot quite well.

The replacement barrel arrived, and the patina matches quite well. I've stashed it in the safe for now; no rush to put on.

T

Is the barrel actually just rechambered or was a 30-06 barrel installed ? Im actually surprised it shoots as well as it does with 308" bullet. Both my 99s slug out at 315"
311 bullets give me fist size groups for about 10 shots then she gets hot and starts opening up some. My eyes dont work well with that sight set up and im shocked the Jap rifle doesnt have peep style sights ?

It has the standard Jap 7.7 barrel, with the chamber reamed out 5mm to take the 7.62x63 vs. 7.7x58 cartridge. Rear sight is a peep, front sight is a largish triangle that fills most of the peep.

I'm going to have a .30-06 conversion shoot-off tomorrow; the Jap vs. my Norge bcd41 K98k.

T

Finally got the Arisaka back from the Gunsmith. It took a little longer as the replacement barrel rotated three degrees past zero. They had to cut new threads into the breech, then ream out the chamber a little to match the headspace up. The barrel zero did not match as the Japs had no provision for re-barreling their rifles. If a rifle became unserviceable, it was sent to a training school and demilitarized. I think I still have a little less than full retail into it with the barrel swap, but not by much. Now to find a box of 7.7 to try it out.

Let the rabbit jokes begin...

P.S. Where is everyone? No posts in three days. Grinch got your tongues?

T

Last edited:
Finally got the Arisaka back from the Gunsmith. It took a little longer as the replacement barrel rotated three degrees past zero. They had to cut new threads into the breech, then ream out the chamber a little to match the headspace up. The barrel zero did not match as the Japs had no provision for re-barreling their rifles. If a rifle became unserviceable, it was sent to a training school and demilitarized. I think I still have a little less than full retail into it with the barrel swap, but not by much. Now to find a box of 7.7 to try it out.

Let the rabbit jokes begin...

P.S. Where is everyone? No posts in three days. Grinch got your tongues?

T

glad you found a smith with the tools to do the job on such a rifle, I wanted to put a new barrel on a K98 and the local smith near me wanted me to buy the reamer and barrel bushing for the barrel block on top of the price for the job? I managed to get the K98 shooting well enough (thanks to your link on K98 accuracy) BUT if im going to buy tools im going to do it myself, hence the up coming new barrel M1 project.

Oh, he can jump. You see him on the recliner. His best vertical leap has been about 18". He mostly scoots around on all fours. The cats have found him to be very fast; he'll chase them around in circles and out of my office making little snorting sounds.

T

Tim not sure if you reload but my Arisaka love cast bullets and lighter FMJ loads with H4895. I have yet to get good accuracy with the load data on the higher end of published powder charges.

I'd appreciate that; trying to find a box. I haven't gotten into reloading yet...

T

With the variety of cals you have might be a good investment even if it's just the lee basic reloader set up or as my dad called it.....whackAround 7.7 might be tough to find. For basic reloading to enjoy blasting off a clip or 2 would be the lee hand press and a set of dies. Few old timers at the club use this set up right on the bench.

Not going to shoot enough to reload, just a box a year maybe. At some point I will have to reload 8mm, then .30/06 when CMP dries up.

T

Back
Top Bottom