My Family Gets LTCA-ALP

On Friday the three of us, me, my wife and my son (age 22), all got out LTC-A Restrictions:None permits in Sterling. Any suggestions on first purchase. I was thinking P22 for her, first.

We all took a private course from Darius Arbabi in April. Fantastic course which I recommend to everyone. Extremely professional, safe and informative. Included a few hours of hands on at the range. Simply fantastic! Thanks Darius.

Submitted application and fingerprinted on June 13. Son needed prints redone about week later since they were done wrong. Hands were reversed?

Check cashed on July 9. I assume they were submitted to the state around that time. PD called on August 15 saying permits were ready. We picked them up immediately. All three were LTC-A Restrictions: None.

Now I need to go buy something. Was going to trek up to FS today, but got waylaid. Maybe next week. I know I missed the Tax Holiday. Oh Well!

On Friday the three of us, me, my wife and my son (age 22), all got out LTC-A Restrictions:None permits in Sterling. Any suggestions on first purchase. I was thinking P22 for her, first.

We all took a private course from Darius Arbabi in April. Fantastic course which I recommend to everyone. Extremely professional, safe and informative. Included a few hours of hands on at the range. Simply fantastic! Thanks Darius.

Submitted application and fingerprinted on June 13. Son needed prints redone about week later since they were done wrong. Hands were reversed?

Check cashed on July 9. I assume they were submitted to the state around that time. PD called on August 15 saying permits were ready. We picked them up immediately. All three were LTC-A Restrictions: None.

Now I need to go buy something. Was going to trek up to FS today, but got waylaid. Maybe next week. I know I missed the Tax Holiday. Oh Well!

Congrats on your licenses.

As far as firearms go, here are my must-haves (even if you don't think you need one of these, I think eventually you'll realize you'll have one)

A nice 1911 (I like the Smith and Wesson 1911DK 'Doug Koenig')
AR15 (any configuration will do. They are just plain fun to shoot)

If you want to dive in instead of wade in, i'd go for those.

In my experience though, don't buy a new gun unless it's something very difficult to find or rare. As soon as you shoot a new gun it becomes used...so if the gun you want isn't a specialty item find it used on the forum and save yourself some money.

If you're looking for cheaper, a Ruger 10/22 Rifle is always good. Used ones are about 150 bucks. Very upgradeable.

Skuter,

You, your wife and son did an excellent job with your course. You each have great safety skills and excellent grasp of the handgun shooting fundamentals.

Four Seasons is like a gunny's candy store. If Carl doesn't have it in stock, he can usually get it for you in a week or so. Feel free to mention my name to him when you visit the shop.

Darius

you can't beat a good 22 to hone your skills fun to shoot and inexpensive ammo. But you will almost always want something bigger, and a lot of them, addiction it's a wonderful thing. P.S Darius is top notch, He taught the pistol instructor course i was in back in march. OH and you to John.

I recommend .22's to shooters who want a solid foundation and to build good habits.

I like the Ruger MKII, in any of its forms. A MkIII is great too, just a few more bells and whistles. Both are great training, work and range guns. For a first rifle, the Ruger 10/22 can't be beat.

After that, a nice 4" .357 revolver is a great choice. Shoots .38 or .357, and is a great all around gun. Good for self defense, plinking, small game, and starting to nurse the "Recoil addiction", so popular here.

After you get a year or so under your belts, then you'll want to find the "perfect" carry/ defense pistol, probably an automatic, but the Smith J frame is great too.

So far my search for the "perfect" carry gun has led me down more than 40 trails. Every time I think I've found it, I see something else that I think might be better.

So ask me how I end up with more than 20 J frame revolvers? It's a fun trail to go down.

Congrats on your family getting licensed, and letting the state know there are three new shooters on board.

Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will still start with a .22 just to get our feet wet and get used to shooting. I will have to see which fits my wife best. I can always get something bigger, or a few things that are bigger later after I try a few different ones. Thanks again for the congrats.

I have a Ruger 10/22 you can shoot if you want.

Haha!
Dude, didn't we just go shooting maybe 2-3 weeks ago and you said you didn't want to spend the money on guns...then you bought a glock and then a 10/22? what else did you get?

Congratulations. I too like to recommend that new shooters start out with a .22 in order to develop good skills and get in a lot of shooting inexpensively. As far as what gun you should get your wife, the answer is simple. Unless she's tried a number of guns and tells you that she wants a particular one, don't. People's hands, fingers and muscles are all different, and it's pretty much impossible for one person to say what another will like or dislike, shoot well or shoot poorly. Give her the opportunity to try as many different guns as possible so that she can pick out the one that works best for her. Forget all the crap you might have heard or read about the ideal "woman's gun" because there's no such thing. The same recommendation goes for you son.

Ken

kmaurer, Thanks good advice. I was thinking of taking a trip to Manchester to have her try shooting a few different ones before a purchase anyway. I want one that she will be comfortable with. She liked the .22s that Darius had us try during training. She was very confortable with them. I think they were Rugers & S&W.
I think that Wayne's (about 5 minutes from my house) lets you try the used ones before purchase. I might try over there too since its so close.

Skuter,

You, your wife and son did an excellent job with your course. You each have great safety skills and excellent grasp of the handgun shooting fundamentals.

Four Seasons is like a gunny's candy store. If Carl doesn't have it in stock, he can usually get it for you in a week or so. Feel free to mention my name to him when you visit the shop.

Darius

Skuter - Tell Carl Cross-X sent you and wait there while he calls the cops [grin]

Congrats to another fellow Sterling resident. Chief Chamberland is a good guy who personally signed off and delivered my wife's LTC.

Wayne's is great and definitely a place to go.

If you want to try out some of my wares let me know. I am a member of WPR which isn't too far. PM me offline and we'll talk.

Now the fun begins! Guns are like shoes - try them out and then decide what is comfortable - so important with the first one as it sets the pace for the others to follow.[smile]

That is awesome - congrats to the whole family.

You know the saying don't you?

A family that shoots together... argues over who has to clean all the guns.

Back
Top Bottom