• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My current Accuracy with pistols.

If you practice you get better.
im not that good with pistols , I can hit center mass inside 15 yards....

That said I think of accuracy based on National Match or Service Pistol matches.
At 25 yards the aiming black is 5.5" with in the black is X, 10 and 9 score rings. 5.5" at 25 yards is 21MOA. When you say to yourself I wish I could shoot 21moa do you feel like thtas hard or easy?
seems over the years shooters have drifted from shooting the smallest groups possible where they need to be (center) to hits on target, split times , and other stuff?

so if your putting a 2" group where you aimed at 12-20 yards your doing ok?

If you practice you get better.
im not that good with pistols , I can hit center mass inside 15 yards....

That said I think of accuracy based on National Match or Service Pistol matches.
At 25 yards the aiming black is 5.5" with in the black is X, 10 and 9 score rings. 5.5" at 25 yards is 21MOA

Just to play devil’s advocate on why a P938:

My main carry gun for over 18 years has been a 1976 Colt government model. At least in the non-inferno months. For all these years I’ve owned, practiced with, and carried many different compacts for summer carry. Walther PPK/s, Walther PPS, Mauser HSc, Makarov, Glock 42, are just a few that come to mind. When I shot someone’s P938 at the end of a steel competition one day several years back, I knew I found my new summer carry gun. I don’t know if having a similar manual of arms for every gun you shoot, carry, and compete with is all that important but a lot of serious shooters will tell you it absolutely is. Regarding the P365, I have to wonder if the trigger is really better than the P938 if you’re someone who uses the 1911 platform exclusively. For me, it’s all a moot point because it’s going to be many years until I can start buying new guns again!
But I am very curious now about the 365. I didn’t realize how small it was until I just now googled a pic of one next to the 938.

A few months back I joined a rather expensive indoor shooting range. At first I was second guessing my decision, now after over a dozen visits I am seeing results.
I have always been a decent shooter with a pistol but feel like I have made a huge improvement. The indoor range for some reason made me slow down and work on my fundamentals.
Here are some of my resent results.
This first image, (100 rounds)The left two small circles were with a rental pistol so not as good as the others. All the others were done with a Sig P938 at 21 feet
The second image is with my Sig P938 also. I still have room to get better but wanted to share my progress. I have a couple of HK pistols I can shoot even better and will share more pictures of targets as I go. Please feel free to use this thread to talk about pistol shooting tips etc. Thank you for looking.
View attachment 270760 View attachment 270761
[
Nice shooting! My accuracy went way up when I focused on what my left hand grip was doing and trigger technique

Just to play devil’s advocate on why a P938:

My main carry gun for over 18 years has been a 1976 Colt government model. At least in the non-inferno months. For all these years I’ve owned, practiced with, and carried many different compacts for summer carry. Walther PPK/s, Walther PPS, Mauser HSc, Makarov, Glock 42, are just a few that come to mind. When I shot someone’s P938 at the end of a steel competition one day several years back, I knew I found my new summer carry gun. I don’t know if having a similar manual of arms for every gun you shoot, carry, and compete with is all that important but a lot of serious shooters will tell you it absolutely is. Regarding the P365, I have to wonder if the trigger is really better than the P938 if you’re someone who uses the 1911 platform exclusively. For me, it’s all a moot point because it’s going to be many years until I can start buying new guns again!
But I am very curious now about the 365. I didn’t realize how small it was until I just now googled a pic of one next to the 938.

Thanks, I appreciate the informative and well thought out reply. I felt the same way a few years back when I shot somone’s p238 - fell in love with it and bought one. It was like throwing darts, incredibly pleasant to shoot and accurate for a gun that size. I had a friend who wanted a 238 and I was looking to upgrade the the 938 so I sold him mine and got the 938. Again, an incredible shooting little gun. Although truth be told, the trigger on both the 238/938 leave a bit to be desired but they do the job. Not comparing the trigger on the 365 to a 1911 trigger, but I find it compares favorably with the 938 (accounting for the differences in type, of course). I was also surprised at the size relative to the 938 until I handled them side by side. I find a lot of people who have the 938 got it for two reasons: Size & shootability but are not familiar w the 1911 manual of arms or what it means to have an IWB gun cocked and locked. Only a few people I know that have them also have a 1911. Most of the people I know/see at the range w 238/938 aren’t experienced shooters, don’t practice regularly and have no business carrying one (I know you can say the same for any gun but IMO the 1911 manual of arms just exacerbates that dynamic). The 938 also costs quite a bit more and I’m just wondering if there will be a market for the 938 once the 365 gets rolling. If you compare them objectively side by side I’m not sure there’s a large enough hammer fired/1911 leaning market to keep the 938 viable going forward. The small/shootable gun folks, which is most of the market IMO, will most likely go for the 365. Oh yeah, one more 365 advantage: ease of takedown/cleaning, fewer parts to deal with.

I find a lot of people who have the 938 got it for two reasons: Size & shootability but are not familiar w the 1911 manual of arms or what it means to have an IWB gun cocked and locked. Only a few people I know that have them also have a 1911. Most of the people I know/see at the range w 238/938 aren’t experienced shooters, don’t practice regularly and have no business carrying one (I know you can say the same for any gun but IMO the 1911 manual of arms just exacerbates that dynamic).

I’m sure you didn’t mean to be offensive when you generalized this above opinion toward the OP (and, by extension, me), but can you see how it can be interpreted to be grossly patronizing to those of us who trust the 1911 design?

I’ve been carrying 1911s IWB cocked and locked since 1998. I’m quite familiar with the manual of arms, thanks. I’d imagine there are a lot of shooters like me, despite what you’ve seen in your limited sample “at the range.”

Generalizations cause misunderstandings, especially when they’ve got nothing to do with what the OP brought up.

It's fun to shoot my P226 9mm at 50 yards. Very seldom any bullseyes for me, but can get 12" or less groups if I concentrate with my old eyes. LOL Love that gun. Kind of big for a carry gun.

I’m sure you didn’t mean to be offensive when you generalized this above opinion toward the OP (and, by extension, me), but can you see how it can be interpreted to be grossly patronizing to those of us who trust the 1911 design?

I’ve been carrying 1911s IWB cocked and locked since 1998. I’m quite familiar with the manual of arms, thanks. I’d imagine there are a lot of shooters like me, despite what you’ve seen in your limited sample “at the range.”

Generalizations cause misunderstandings, especially when they’ve got nothing to do with what the OP brought up.

If you got offended by extension, that’s on you. I’m not offending or patronizing those who trust the 1911 design, I happen to love the 1911. However, the 938 is an alloy <correction> gun it is not a 1911. The 938 is loosely based on the 1911 with half of the 1911 safety features. You have been carrying a 1911 since 1998, excellent, there’s nothing wrong w that. If I could effectively conceal a 1911 I might too.

My limited sample at the range consists of 2-3 trips per week to a large, commercial public range that rents guns and another trip or two to an outdoor range when weather permits. While I don’t claim to be the best or most experienced shooter, I’d say I qualify as above average when it comes to pistol shooting and knowledge and I can see who’s shooting what and who’s experienced and who’s not. I have had a number of people ask to see my 938 at the range and I’ll let them shoot it if they want. The superficial comments about the gun are always positive: It’s so small, it shoots so nice. I’m getting one! I also take a fair amount of new/inexperienced shooters to the range and many people ask me about and tell me their thoughts and experiences about a variety of guns.

I also go to two local gun shops a couple of times per month and have developed a relationship w/ the owners. One is retired military and has forgotten more about firearms than I’ll ever know and is also probably the best shooter I know. He has talked me out of a few purchase mistakes and failed to talk me out of a few others but he always gives a great take of the pros & cons of every gun I buy from him. He’s all about the 1911 and has the same take on the 938 as I do, particularly since the 635 came out. The shop I got the 365 said the same thing and also said that a lot of the people who carry the 938 shouldn’t.

If you think a majority of 938 owners are military trained devotees of the 1911, I will respectfully disagree based on my limited sample at the range. I will be interested to see what Sig does with the 938 line now that the 365 is out.

Last edited:
I like hammer fired guns because for me and my mechanics I can shoot them better. In the last 10 years I have probably bought and sold over 50 handguns. I have tried nearly everything to find which type and specific model I can shoot best.
I own just 2 striker fired pistols, HK VP9 and a Glock 21 gen 4. Although I like them both enough to not sell them I can not shoot them as well.
The pistols I can consistently shoot well and feel most confident carrying are my HK's. P30sk, USP 9 and HK45. The P938 was the first micro pistol that I made 10 ring hits at 21 feet the very first time I shot it. How could that not be confidence inspiring?
I will however give any new pistol that comes to market a go and see if it works for me. Maybe I find something better?

Can we get back on topic and talk about and share pistol shooting techniques and share pictures please.

Okay another opinion.. I normally carry 1911 style guns but recently picked up a striker fired Walther PPS. I don't like it . Nothing wrong with the pistol . Its reliable and as accurate as I can shoot . I just prefer a hammer. Maybe it's just hard to teach a old dog new tricks .

I don't know why Walther designed the PPS trigger they way they did. It is by far the worst trigger I've ever tried on a Walther. Considering how great the PPQ trigger is, the maker really has no excuse.

There's a lot of fodder in this thread. I don't see any reason for the hate thrown at the 938. Mine has a consistent 4.5lb trigger and it's as crisp as anyone would want for a carry gun. And that's out of the box. I haven't had time to do any polishing yet. I expect to get the pull to 4.0 lbs and smooth as warm butter. The safety detent is quite strong and I am totally comfortable with its safety carrying IWB or pocket (in a Sticky pocket holster). It's as small as a Glock 42, definitely more concealable than a 43, although it weighs a little more.

As for improving accuracy, shooting one-handed is one of the two best training exercises you can do. It develops both strong grip and trigger control far better than two-handed shooting. The other best exercise is ball-and-dummy drill. If you want to develop absolutely consistent trigger pull and follow-through, there's nothing like firing a shot when you don't know if it's a snap cap or a live round.

Last edited:
As for improving accuracy, shooting one-handed is one of the two best training exercises you can do. It develops both strong grip and trigger control far better than two-handed shooting. The other best exercise is ball-and-dummy drill. If you want to develop absolutely consistent trigger pull and follow-through, there's nothing like firing a shot when you don't know if it's a snap cap or a live round.

Excellent advice. I’d say a third excercise, particularly for drawing from a holster and rapid target acquisition, is using a laser training cartridge. It’s what got me over the hump w a DA/SA hammer fire carry gun w a decocker, translated well to the range. When Madame is not home I’m drawing and shooting light switches and thermostats in the house. Works well w 1911/938 since you can cock the hammer pretty easily, a bit more of a pain w the striker yuans since you have to partially rack the slide to re set the trigger.

Good thread Rocco, it seems you have a pretty good grasp of 7 yards. Move it back to 15 and get that group as tight as you can. Then move it back to 25 and repeat. Once you have consistent groups at 25, 15, and 10 start increasing shot pace for each string and it will force you to manage recoil. Once it gets warm get to an outdoor range and shoot at 50 yards. There are a lot of people that think just because it's a carry gun you'll never need to shoot past 15 yards, etc. That is simply a false statement. Being able to hit at 50 yards with your carry gun is important and also builds confidence in your blaster. Just my .02 take it for what it's worth. ;)

Good thread Rocco, it seems you have a pretty good grasp of 7 yards. Move it back to 15 and get that group as tight as you can. Then move it back to 25 and repeat. Once you have consistent groups at 25, 15, and 10 start increasing shot pace for each string and it will force you to manage recoil. Once it gets warm get to an outdoor range and shoot at 50 yards. There are a lot of people that think just because it's a carry gun you'll never need to shoot past 15 yards, etc. That is simply a false statement. Being able to hit at 50 yards with your carry gun is important and also builds confidence in your blaster. Just my .02 take it for what it's worth. ;)
Excellent advice. I have many times shot out to 100 yards with my HK45 and 1911 at a man sized ar500 target. It really shows your mistakes. I will hit the range this week and start extending the distance. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom