My current Accuracy with pistols.

roccoracer

NES Member
A few months back I joined a rather expensive indoor shooting range. At first I was second guessing my decision, now after over a dozen visits I am seeing results.
I have always been a decent shooter with a pistol but feel like I have made a huge improvement. The indoor range for some reason made me slow down and work on my fundamentals.
Here are some of my resent results.
This first image, (100 rounds)The left two small circles were with a rental pistol so not as good as the others. All the others were done with a Sig P938 at 21 feet
The second image is with my Sig P938 also. I still have room to get better but wanted to share my progress. I have a couple of HK pistols I can shoot even better and will share more pictures of targets as I go. Please feel free to use this thread to talk about pistol shooting tips etc. Thank you for looking.
20190213_152839.jpg 20190104_120855.jpg
[

I have heard a lot of good things about the P365 but I prefer a hammer fired gun.

There’s nothing wrong with a hammer fired gun, I have several, but the P938 is not one of the desirable versions. Striker fire is infinitely safer to carry than micro compact gun with cocked hammer and a manual safety (and no grip safety like the 1911). The P365 is about the same size as the P938, has standard ten round capacity, and is striker fire w a much better trigger and costs hundreds less. Up until now the P938 was my pocket or ankle carry gun when I wear dress pants w shirt tucked in (which is every day at work although in the winter I can put a jacket or vest on and carry something bigger). I’m not happy that my 938 was just rendered useless, but it was. I cannot imagine anyone who’s in the market for a micro compact 9mm choosing the 938 over the 635, there is just no reason to and I can’t imagine that Sig will continue with the 938 line now. If “prefer hammer fire” is the reasoning for accepting all the pitfalls that come w the 938, I’d suggest doing a little more research and taking a concealed carry class.

There’s nothing wrong with a hammer fired gun, I have several, but the P938 is not one of the desirable versions. Striker fire is infinitely safer to carry than micro compact gun with cocked hammer and a manual safety (and no grip safety like the 1911). The P365 is about the same size as the P938, has standard ten round capacity, and is striker fire w a much better trigger and costs hundreds less. Up until now the P938 was my pocket or ankle carry gun when I wear dress pants w shirt tucked in (which is every day at work although in the winter I can put a jacket or vest on and carry something bigger). I’m not happy that my 938 was just rendered useless, but it was. I cannot imagine anyone who’s in the market for a micro compact 9mm choosing the 938 over the 635, there is just no reason to and I can’t imagine that Sig will continue with the 938 line now. If “prefer hammer fire” is the reasoning for accepting all the pitfalls that come w the 938, I’d suggest doing a little more research and taking a concealed carry class.
Wow. Did you just accuse me of being dumb and needing training because I like a pistol that you do not? And you bought one too. My training in the military must have been substandard. Im terribly sorry.

A few months back I joined a rather expensive indoor shooting range. At first I was second guessing my decision, now after over a dozen visits I am seeing results.
I have always been a decent shooter with a pistol but feel like I have made a huge improvement. The indoor range for some reason made me slow down and work on my fundamentals.
Here are some of my resent results.
This first image, (100 rounds)The left two small circles were with a rental pistol so not as good as the others. All the others were done with a Sig P938 at 21 feet
The second image is with my Sig P938 also. I still have room to get better but wanted to share my progress. I have a couple of HK pistols I can shoot even better and will share more pictures of targets as I go. Please feel free to use this thread to talk about pistol shooting tips etc. Thank you for looking.
View attachment 270760 View attachment 270761
[
Nice shooting. Range time always pays off.

That is great shooting, especially with such a small non-target type gun. It's good to practice some rapid firing too for self defense type training.

Nice shooting! I stopped by Hot Brass yesterday to have a look around and to see what they had to rent. Nice people and it looks like a nice setup. I will be heading over there to try some of the guns out... No not the 50 BMG!

I have heard a lot of good things about the P365 but I prefer a hammer fired gun.
I'm with you on the hammer fired v. striker, at least in a CCW. But I recently rented a p365 and I have to say it was excellent. Both me and my son are planning on getting a p365 when they release the version with a manual safety (my son has to wait for MA to give permission). And you definitely want eh12 round mag, even if you use it as 11+1. That little extra keep your pinky in place. I wonder if we could do a group by for the p365, I'd be glad to stop by the Sig shop and ask.

Wow. Did you just accuse me of being dumb and needing training because I like a pistol that you do not? And you bought one too. My training in the military must have been substandard. Im terribly sorry.

Coffee first man. Coffee first...

There was actually a lot of good info in that post for someone who said this:

Sounded to me like that was worthy of a reply.

The funny thing about forums (and we all can forget this) is it is not just for you. So when things are posted (like anything) it is there to be consumed by others at a later date regardless of how it molds to the original comment. Nothing worse than a thread deleting tantrum where everyone loses...

Opinions.

They sure are fun.

Coffee first man. Coffee first...

There was actually a lot of good info in that post for someone who said this:

Sounded to me like that was worthy of a reply.

The funny thing about forums (and we all can forget this) is it is not just for you. So when things are posted (like anything) it is there to be consumed by others at a later date regardless of how it molds to the original comment. Nothing worse than a thread deleting tantrum where everyone loses...
You are correct. I had my coffee and feel better now. I was annoyed by the do some research and take a ccw class. That to me implied that he thought he was more "trained" and educated than me simply because I like my P938. Am I wrong? It was very good information posted and IF the P365 become available in Mass I will take a hard look at it.

You are correct. I had my coffee and feel better now. I was annoyed by the do some research and take a ccw class. That to me implied that he thought he was more "trained" and educated than me simply because I like my P938. Am I wrong? It was very good information posted and IF the P365 become available in Mass I will take a hard look at it.
Supposed to be available in the next two months from regular shops. Some shops do have them already. From somebody who likes the 938 as well that hard look might be sooner than you thought.

Okay another opinion.. I normally carry 1911 style guns but recently picked up a striker fired Walther PPS. I don't like it . Nothing wrong with the pistol . Its reliable and as accurate as I can shoot . I just prefer a hammer. Maybe it's just hard to teach a old dog new tricks .

No offense was intended. I thought I laid out the case why striker fire in one particular gun was better than hammer fire in another particular gun and I wouldn’t disagree with you on hammer vs striker for a full size duty gun carried OWB. There’s certainly plenty of room for personal preference between a 1911 and say, a Glock 21. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would think a SA hammer fired/manual safety 938 would be better than a striker fire 9mm subcompact of about the same size, manufacturer/quality, with a better trigger and higher capacity. I definitely do not feel the 938 to be as safe as a 1911 or a striker fire gun, particularly for IWB. When I saw the rationale being “I prefer a hammer fired gun” it didn’t sound like a well thought out argument, I probably could have used a cup of coffee too.

I bought a P365 in MA yesterday, they are now available although difficult to find. I’d be happy to take you to the range to try it.

Last edited:
I’d be more than happy to hear arguments about the benefits of a hammer fired subcompact like a 938 over a striker fire gun like a 365.

No need. You already own both; we all get to make up our own minds.

Me, I dislike plastic guns. But unlike you, I don’t mock those who like them. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean they haven’t thought their opinion through.

Here is my 45 ACP American Classic II that I shot rested at 20 yards. It was the first day I shot it. It was sighted in right out of the box. Not bad for $429.00 from Bud's. I did change the grips for $26.00. I also made this IWB holster with parts from WHITE HAT HOLSTERS. Very comfortable.

MetroArms AC45G2 1911 American Classic II 8+1 45ACP 5

Read the reviews.

Attachments

• 1911 & target .png
    1911 & target .png
    269.6 KB · Views: 31
  • MY ACII .JPG
    MY ACII .JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 31
  • rainier 200 grain HP .png
    rainier 200 grain HP .png
    74.8 KB · Views: 28
  • good IWB .JPG
    good IWB .JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
No need. You already own both; we all get to make up our own minds.

Me, I dislike plastic guns. But unlike you, I don’t mock those who like them. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean they haven’t thought their opinion through.

I didn’t mock anyone nor did I say people couldn’t make up their own minds. I stated my opinion and mentioned the reasons why. I was hoping for someone to explain why they like a SA hammer fired gun better than striker fire in the context of these two guns and their respective attributes.

Back
Top Bottom