• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My co-worker the liberal

25th_pull

NES Member
There is a very fast talking, snake oil salesmen liberal who works with me in my office. He loves nothing more than to walk around and talk to anyone who still has the ability to listen to him about “his” President and how he will “change” this great country for the better. Most of the time I see co-workers being “story rapped”!!

The other day he came into my office which is located in our service department. He begins to explain how the Gun Shows coming up in MA are just here to outfit criminals who shouldn’t have guns!! I sit him down and explain to him that you still need to have a license to carry to purchase a firearm at a MA Gun Show and that the last one that I attended (Fitchburg) many of the sellers would ask for a license before they would let you handle a firearm (not all but most). He shrugged this FACT off as me being brainwashed by…..wait for it…..the NRA!! He then goes off on a rant about how even good citizens are more dangerous with firearms and even him or I should be watched closely if we had one on us! I disagreed and let him go on his merry way.

During this whole conversation I had a S&W 2 ½ “ revolver with .357 magnum Hydra-Shocks loaded on my person. He is the kind of media fed As*#ole who has no facts or idea what is really going on in this world. I wish one day everyone could open carry with no hassle or repercussion just so people like him could stop and say….”crap, all of you have firearms and I was a loud mouth idiot to all of you” That would be heaven!!

After dealing with him.....I don't know how you can!!
If you met Denis you would understand. He is one of the nicest and most laid back guys you will ever meet. He's also got a few years of experience (he's old [wink][smile] ) dealing with idjits...like me.[smile]

Good lord, I hate that argument. "You disagree with me, so you must have been brainwashed by group x." Yeah, or maybe I actually have valid reasons for believing what I believe. Does he not realize that he just insulted your intelligence by implying that you can't think for yourself?

Regardless of his views on guns, his determination to avoid the facts and his assumption that you can't think for yourself make him an idiot.

Last edited:
I second taking him shooting.

I have had more people change or moderate their view of firearms & firearms regulation by taking them to the range than anything else.

I don't argue or debate anything, I just take them to the range, provide safety instruction prior (no guns present) and there (with guns) and then teach them to shoot reasonably. Once they are comfortable with the .22 (rifle & pistol) I move to something scary looking but not scary to shoot (don't be a tool). Before you know it there "view" is changed; it probably won't be "I want to go buy a gun", but it will be more moderate than it was before.

Hard core liberals will think the gun is going to shoot all by itself and kill someone. You'd have more luck trying to convince them that they made a mistake voting for Obama than getting them to agree to go to a range with you.

Hard core liberals will think the gun is going to shoot all by itself and kill someone. You'd have more luck trying to convince them that they made a mistake voting for Obama than getting them to agree to go to a range with you.

I disagree. I have had incredible luck. I don't raise any arguments or even invite them during a discussion about firearms. Just as I would invite them to lunch or to a baseball game I invite them to the range after work. When you remove the political context from your invitation they tend not to bring it up either.

The entire time I never mention laws, politics, etc; my goal is as positive and stress free an experience for them as possible.

I second taking him shooting.

I have had more people change or moderate their view of firearms & firearms regulation by taking them to the range than anything else.

I don't argue or debate anything, I just take them to the range, provide safety instruction prior (no guns present) and there (with guns) and then teach them to shoot reasonably. Once they are comfortable with the .22 (rifle & pistol) I move to something scary looking but not scary to shoot (don't be a tool). Before you know it there "view" is changed; it probably won't be "I want to go buy a gun", but it will be more moderate than it was before.

I would love to take him out and help change his ways.....but then I would have to see him outside of work!!!!

I would love to take him out and help change his ways.....but then I would have to see him outside of work!!!!

Do what you must. If you can show him the light as far as shooting goes then it would be a good thing. Maybe he'd even tell a few of the other libs that maybe guns AREN'T evil after all. Also wouldn't hurt to take him to a gunshow and show him what it's actually like. Just my .02.[wink]

or stage a robbery, and when you pull out YOUR gun to protect yourself, tell the knife wielding mugger "This gun is for MY protection....I don't care what you do to HIM"

National Take an Anti to the Range Day

I agree that a person as described cannot be convinced by reasoned arguments, as from their point of view ( since they KNOW that they're Right [with a capital "R"], your opinion and position are wrong.

So....since you can't reason with a person who cannot admit that there is a possibility that they are wrong, more drastic action is required.

I like the suggestion that bringing it up at a time other than the initial discussion is best.

By removing it from the "argument" and making it a separate conversation, you have actually put it to him that he's being intellectualy dishonest if he doesn't take you up on the offer! If he agrees, the worst that happens is that he stays as he was (which he would, anyways) ; the best, an epiphany that shooters are not all lunatics.

If he refuses, he's admitting that his belief are too flimsy to put to the test.

We're outnumbered in Mass., and that's a fact. Our only way forward is to bring more people to our side of the discussion. Even if said Liberal doesn't get an LTC, he'll no longer have the "all guns are evil 'cause I know it," argument to fall back on - breaking a clay can be quite satisfying ( as some reading this may know) and, possibly the camel's nose of a change of heart.

Three things I never bring up at work: guns, God and politics. If someone tries to start in on it I move along.

Its been my experience that there is no one more intolerant than a liberal who knows your on the other side of their favorite "issue".

Three things I never bring up at work: guns, God and politics. If someone tries to start in on it I move along.

Its been my experience that there is no one more intolerant than a liberal who knows your on the other side of their favorite "issue".

I would say that there is no one more intolerant than a person who opposes you from an emotional position, rather than a reasoned position. People who take a position not because they've been convinced of it through logic but because it resonates with them emotionally don't know how to deal with other people who share those emotions, and when empathy fails, they don't have any logic to fall back on, but because they're so emotionally invested in their beliefs that they can't consider the idea that they might be wrong. I see it from a lot of recycling proponents, defense of marriage types, hardcore 9/11 conspiracists, hoplophobes, etc...

you ought to work at a museum where everyone has liberal arts degrees or phd's.

You think you have it bad.

Don't rope PhDs and liberal arts degrees into the same corral. Some people have PhDs in subjects like mechanical, electrical or aerospace engineering, which tend to be very weapon/defense contractor friendly. Engineers are often also naturally interested in things like weapons for the engineering aspect.

This guy is obviously a complete moron. If you go to the Brady Bunch's website:

Gun Show Checks
Are background checks required at gun shows? Partial
State law requires people buying any firearm at a gun show to obtain a license to purchase firearms from local law enforcement, which includes a criminal background check. With few exceptions, these licenses are valid for 6 years and have no limit on the number of firearms that can be purchased. Only licensed gun dealers may sell firearms, except that a "private" person may sell up to four firearms a year as long as the buyer and seller notify law enforcement and the buyer has a proper gun license.

So there you go, how can this idiot disagree with them??

25th PULL: Tell your co-worker the next time he gives you an argument, look into his eye's and say," we'll see how you feel when the inevitable attack comes" don't ask for my help I warned you, but you wouldn't or as liberals are, you couldn't listen to other people, GOD HELP YOU!! case closed!!!

Don't rope PhDs and liberal arts degrees into the same corral. Some people have PhDs in subjects like mechanical, electrical or aerospace engineering, which tend to be very weapon/defense contractor friendly. Engineers are often also naturally interested in things like weapons for the engineering aspect.

I worked with a group of engineering PhDs, all of whom were liberals.... and owned guns.

I work with lots of scientists and engineers, and a lot of them have PhD's.

Most of them are liberals, not as in real liberals, but as in the communist obama loving type of pseudo-liberal. (There is really nothing liberal about those people at all... they want the government involved in EVERYTHING).

Just like anything else, however that doesn't mean they all are, though. I know several notable exceptions. This is just as dangerous as assuming that most LEOs are pro gun, or that every teacher you run into is going to be a libtard. Many may "fit the mold" but it's important to scope/seek out those who don't.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom