• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Canik's just as good as a Walther!

Meh - sounds like lawyer speak to me. "Rather, the goal here is to prevent drop discharge in heavy or severe duty conditions that are beyond industry standards."

The P320 also met "industry standards".

Very good engineers have been thinking about designing drop safe handguns for decades. In addition to lab testing, these drop safety systems have been real world tested through millions of hours of on duty carry.

Quality modern handguns will not fire from being dropped. Full stop. A duty gun must not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Full stop again.

I have examined the drop safety mechanisms in many modern handguns. I have good confidence that these guns will not fire if dropped from any height or at any angle. They also will not fire if they are beaten with a hammer or if the pistol is abused by using it to hammer nails.

A properly made duty handgun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. I will not settle for less, and I would prefer that guns designed to lesser standards not be carried near me.

A manufacturer who identifies a problem, acknowledges it, and offers a fix to customers can remain in my good graces. I manufacturer who tries to pass any costs for this process on to the customer is forever on my bad side. Canik and/or their importer need to pay the full costs of improvements, including shipping, or I will speak ill of them until they make it right.

I sometimes hear that drop safety is overrated and that a gun owner who exercises proper care will never drop a handgun. My thinking is that when a handgun takes a long fall and lands at a bad angle, that does not necessarily mean that it has been separated from the owner. No one plans to fall down stairs, or off a motorcycle, or get hit by a car, but the real world can disrupt the best laid plans. In any of these horrible situations, the handgun should not be an additional concern.

My Canik TP9sf is (No Joking) one of the easiest, softest, cheapest and most accurate pistols I have shot. If it's a 350.00 "Poor copy" of the Walther then be it.

When the Canik first came out they were less than $200. After I shot one I was thinking hi point is in serious trouble, but Canik got the price point in the right direction to being like XD

...upgrade to the trigger safety spring and firing pin block spring...

That's the spring for the Glock like lever in the middle of the trigger, right?

Those sound like they'll change the trigger pull a little bit, but not very much.

Too bad they won't pay for shipping. Or that they won't just ship me the springs.

Are people just now gone crazy and whipping guns all over the place or hitting them with hammers to see if they can fire? Waiting for my recall notice from Colt on my SAA. Apparently they have just discovered that if you cock the hammer and slam it down on the ground it could go off. Who knew? [smile]

Cuz you'll never drop it at the range right?

I'm filing this under the term personal responsibility. If I do and kill myself I will hold myself personally responsible for not getting the upgrade and not blame Canik, the weather, my slimy hands, or my wife, or Trump. 99% of the time the range is empty when I shoot....but the 1% of the time is isn't I'll be sure to let people know I'm shooting a dangerous gun, that could possibly go off if dropped like any other gun could possibly go off if dropped.

But then again, I own the old 3 screw Ruger Single Action in 41 Mag....never sent that back either...Im a risktaker.

Last edited:
Are people just now gone crazy and whipping guns all over the place or hitting them with hammers to see if they can fire? Waiting for my recall notice from Colt on my SAA. Apparently they have just discovered that if you cock the hammer and slam it down on the ground it could go off. Who knew? [smile]

Yeah...its on the internet....I see people throw pistols into logs, sandbanks, mud creeks, water, concrete, steel plates, etc......most of the time I don't pay attention if it's loaded or unloaded....I'm just waiting for it to go off and kill them because they are stupid and are not following basic rule #1. Treat every gun as if it's loaded.

Though, the videos where people shoot themselves or others to try a ballistic vest is higher up on the Darwin award list, throwing guns isn't too much lower.

Last edited:
I'm filing this under the term personal responsibility. If I do and kill myself I will hold myself personally responsible for not getting the upgrade and not blame Canik, the weather, my slimy hands, or my wife, or Trump. 99% of the time the range is empty when I shoot....but the 1% of the time is isn't I'll be sure to let people know I'm shooting a dangerous gun, that could possibly go off if dropped like any other gun could possibly go off if dropped.

But then again, I own the old 3 screw Ruger Single Action in 41 Mag....never sent that back either...Im a risktaker.

My point was not that you should or should not send it back. I don't care.

My point is what difference does it make if you carry it or just use it at the range? You said if you'd carry it you'd send it back. what's the difference between range or carry with regard to safety?

When I stub my toe real bad on the coffee table I usually pull my loaded gun out of the holster and chuck it at something real hard out of anger. Is that crazy or irresponsible? [smile]

Back
Top Bottom