• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My 5.11 Tactical Holster Shirt Review

Here's my initial review of this shirt/holster.

I recently took a full time job and will have to go back to wearing more business professional dress.

I typically carry IWB in casual dress with an untucked button down shirt.

I'm going to have to tuck my shirts in for work now, and my CTAC IWB isn't great for doing that. (clips show on the belt and it the butt of my G19 prints)

I purchased a 5.11 tactical holster shirt from USPatriotstore

5.11HolsterShirt_MED.jpg

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/Produ...=ShoppingEngine&utm_campaign=GoogleBase092007

Pros:
* I can conceal a G19 in a dress shirt with no issues.
* The pockets are very deep. You can use this shirt for spare mags, wallets, money whatever.
* The pockets are on both sides so it is ambi-friendly
* The design of the shirt makes it look like an undershirt or a tank-top
* It is a compression shirt so it really sucks close to your body. No loose clothing

Cons:
* Pricy. Some places sell it for over $40.
* ITCHY! It's comfortable after a while, but when you take it off your skin is red where some of the stitching is. I wear an undershirt underneath it and it's fine. I haven't yet tried to wash it to see if it's better, but reading some other reviews, it has not helped.
* Very seldom, the angle of the pistol makes the butt of the grip move forward and may make you look like you have a 3rd nipple. If you carry a smaller frame pistol, or another one with a shorter handle, you probably won't have this problem.

Notes:
* If you are between sizes, order the larger. I'm not the best person to size shirts. I'm always in between a medium and a large. I bough a medium but I think in retrospect I should have gone towards the larger.

Some pics:
j13jo0.jpg

aqmva.jpg

mi2c2f.jpg

14m5ohw.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Underwhere. I have that exact undershirt but have yet to wear it out into public. When you state that is sucks in to your body, you are not kidding. I'm 6-1 and 220lbs and I had to get the 2x size for it to fit at all. It did itch me so I was also thinking of wearing an undershirt between the 5.11 shirt and my skin. I've washed mine a few times hoping it would soften up some of the more itchy areas, but it hasn't worked. Do you use a tank top, v-neck or traditional undershirt? I was thinking of getting some v-necks to try.

Glad to see the review. Question though. How easy is it to draw from?

To access, unbutton a button, slip your hand inside your shirt grip the pistol.

Each pocket has a single small piece of square velcro to keep it shut so when you bend over, the contents do not go flying out.

It may take some practice to draw correctly as the cant of the pistol is going to be typically perpendicular to the ground.

As far as the overall concept of "ease of draw"...my philosophy is that "ease of draw" is of secondary importance.

To me, it is more important that I am able to conceal properly. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to carry at all.

It's my personal belief that it is easier to access than an ankle holster and may be more concealable.

Hi Underwhere. I have that exact undershirt but have yet to wear it out into public. When you state that is sucks in to your body, you are not kidding. I'm 6-1 and 220lbs and I had to get the 2x size for it to fit at all. It did itch me so I was also thinking of wearing an undershirt between the 5.11 shirt and my skin. I've washed mine a few times hoping it would soften up some of the more itchy areas, but it hasn't worked. Do you use a tank top, v-neck or traditional undershirt? I was thinking of getting some v-necks to try.

I wear a crewneck undershirt and pretty tight.
That's just my style. I'm not talking about spandex tight, but "tight".

I am used to wearing underarmour compression shirts so the tightness doesn't bother me as much as someone who's not used to it.

But again, buy the larger size if you're in between sizes.

I just bought one of these so I can carry with my shirts tucked in.(finally). I'll post some pics and let you know how it turns out. I just hope the size is right.

This should make you guys feel better about your carry rig: When I looked at the photos (since the picture of the product from the uspatriotstore website is Xed out due to the Firewall of Doom here at work), I had NO IDEA where your gun was located. Only once I saw the photo of you without the dress shirt on could I see where the gun was.

These seems like a great "office-carry" type of rig. Because your concern during "office-carry" should be comfort, concealment, and having it on you...versus being able to draw it in .3 seconds aka speed-holsters. I believe every rig has its place, and this one seems good for the office. I use a comp-tac tuckable holster, and it works great but is uncomfortable when sitting upright. I wear my shirts pretty baggy, even when tucked so I don't print.

Explain how it is any better than a good shoulder rig?

I don't have any experience with shoulder rigs so I wouldn't know.
It's a pocket so the handgun faces downwards. You can also use the shirt for holding many other things since it's a pocket and not molded for any specific type of gun.

The muzzle is pointed straight downwards so it conceals very well front to pack. You don't have the muzzle point out the back of your shirt, and the butt pointing out the front.

Aren't shoulder rigs relatively expensive?

I just bought one and I'm a lefty. Pockets are the same size on both sizes. I can fit a glock 21 in there and conceal it ok. Anything smaller would be a breeze to carry.

I tried one of these shirts for awhile (Kramer) for my undercover gig. As soon as I got to scenario training I threw them out. Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy slooooooooooooowwwwww on the draw. I mean when you need a gun you need it now, not later. Draw times with these type shirts is measured in seconds when you (or at least I [wink]) want fractions of a second.

Just my take on the product.

biking?

Do you think one of these would work under a bicycle shirt?
I'd need a 2x and could get a larger Pearl Izumi.
Seems more secure than a fanny pack.
A crazy pattern might lessen printing.

What is the real deal with a compression shirt?
Just for a vest or do LEO's carry that much weight?

Thanks,
Bill

Do you think one of these would work under a bicycle shirt?
I'd need a 2x and could get a larger Pearl Izumi.
Seems more secure than a fanny pack.
A crazy pattern might lessen printing.

What is the real deal with a compression shirt?
Just for a vest or do LEO's carry that much weight?

Thanks,
Bill

I used to run with a J frame so I assume it would be ok for biking.
I will be biking (road) with my G26 so we'll see.

Like the previous person said, draw times are slow but I'm not LEO. My philosophy is that it's better to have it than not to have it all.

You won/'t really print with this shirt. You might seem like you have a 3rd nipple but you won't see the frame of the gun.

underwhere, you said you were in between sizes M-L. can you tell me your height and weight?
im trying to figure out where i would fit into the size chart for this shirt.

I'm 5' 8" and 180lbs.
I'm somewhat thick up top as I used to go to the gym 6 days a week (about 5 years ago)

I bought a Medium but I should have bought a large.
If I lose 10lbs then it'd fit much better. Working on it.

underwhere, thanks a lot for your review. my size medium came in the mail today. my Glock 23 fits very well in it, Jar said he wouldnt of noticed it if i didnt point it out.

i have a size medium, its a little tight, but not uncomfortable. im 5'9 and 165lbs if anyone is trying to figure out what size is good for them.

thanks!

Long term review:

I still wear this holster shirt occasionally when I need to.

1. Still need an undershirt with it as it gets itchy after a while if you don't.
2. I carry my glock with a saf-t-block behind the trigger since the shirt itself doesn't really cover the trigger area as solid as I would like.
3. The velcro on the shirt is getting a little weak but I expected that. No big deal.
4. I still think I would rather have a Large instead of a Medium. If Dench has a medium (and he's not too thick of a guy) and it's a little tight on him, then I must be Fat Albert in spandex. Order a size up if you are on the border.
5. With my G19 someone "might" notice the butt of the grip if they were looking for it. With my G26 I don't think they'd be able to.
6. Running/Jogging with this is perfectly fine. Comfortable. I put my keys and ID in it too since there is a pocket on either side.

Concerns:
I went biking with it once and carried my cell phone in the other pocket. The cell phone fell out several times because of the angle at which I was biking. The gun did not because it is bigger. It's not too big of a concern but if you have a very slim gun and are a certain angle for extended periods of time it may work it's way up and out. I still think it's unlikely but worth mentioning.

I think biking is just a very specific motion. Your legs move and you are hunched over. Your legs actually cause your torso area to tighten and move which I believe may have caused my cell phone to move upwards.

Great review, thank you for taking the time to give us your opinions and photos to show just how this shirt looks and wears....I like many others have been very curious about this item.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom