• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MSR vs AR

Since the politicians and media have latched onto the term "Assault Rifle" and have associated that term with the AR-15 (ArmaLite), I am no longer going to refer to AR-15s as "ARs." I pledge not to refer to any of the firearms available to me as assault rifles, because that is not what they are or were designed to be. I will use the term MSR when referring to the semi-automatic black rifles that resemble the ArmaLite AR-15. I hope that we all can start doing that. I cringe whenever a gun expert falls into the trap of calling an AR-15 an assault rifle. Assault rifles are not available to me for purchase. We can neuter the politicization of our guns by vowing to never use the term assault rifle/weapon when referring to our firearms. A Smith & Wesson AR-15 is not an AR-15, it is a M&P 15 MSR. Bushmaster does not have any AR15s in its line-up. Neither does Windham Weaponry. Let's stop calling them assault weapons. We can make assault weapons seemingly disappear from the world by not using that term. They are MSRs. What assault rifles? The ones the police and military have? We don't have those and are not permitted to have them, but we want them. have a right to them, and wish to change those laws.

I've NEVER referred to any firearm that civilians can own as an "assault weapon". Ever. I've always refereed to them as what they are.... a rifle. That's it. That's what they are... a rifle.

I beg to differ. They ARE AR15's.
True "Assault Weapons" are M16's and M4's, etc..
AR15 is the civilian (semi-auto) equivalent.

I am fully supportive of using the correct terminology, as it relates to weapons. However, I harbor no illusions about changing anyone's opinions about the suitability of non-LEO/military ownership of semi-autos or full autos, simply by calling them by one name or another. For those that are convinced that "no one needs an AR-15", there is no label that will alter their view.

I think 'rifle' is fine. Maybe "family defense rifle" would be even better, taking a page from the "pro life" crowd, it's hard to argue with that name.

I'm not going to stop calling them AR-15's because a bunch of moonbats think the "AR" stands for "assault rifle". If someone says something to me about it standing for assault rifle, I will simply correct them and give them a quick punt to the fupa.

Back
Top Bottom