Moving with guns

cockpitbob

NES Member
So, after too much delay, we are pulling up stakes and moving to MA (North Shore) late Sept. I've got 3 questions:

1) I've got too many long guns to move in the car. Does anyone have experience with trusting moving companies to move your guns?

2) I reload, so I've got a lot of ammo and components. I assume the brass & bullets can go with the movers and the ammo ships ground. Are there any better options?

3) On a recent trip to MA I took the MA approved NRA basic pistol safety course. Can you think of anything else I can do from CA to speed up getting my LTC?

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and after being an NESer for a year, I'm looking to finally going to a NES shoot meeting some of you. It looks like we'll be there in time for a pumpkin shoot! [banana]

The two issues I'd suggest reading up on are-

1. What the grace period is for moving into the state with guns and not holding a Mass license. Personally I'd store them out of state till you have a permit in hand in Mass. I used to know the date, but forgot.

2. Your local police chief may not issue you a class A permit, meaning you can't even have preban pistol mags, or guns capable of accepting preban hicaps, even if you don't have any preban hicaps. You could call and inquire whether he issues Class A permits, and if he issues them for "All Lawful Purposes", which is a clause that allows you to legally carry concealed vs. a permit issued for Target, which only allows you to transport guns to and from the range.

I think your best bet may be to call the Police station of your new town, inquiring as to what you can do to hasten the permit from out of state, and whether you're ok to bring them in now.

Here is some information on Mass LTC-A and B, if you're not familiar with the differences-
lawshttp://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Last edited:
The two issues I'd suggest reading up on are-

1. What the grace period is for moving into the state with guns and not holding a Mass license. Personally I'd store them out of state till you have a permit in hand in Mass. I used to know the date, but forgot.[/qoute]

60 day grace period.

(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

2. Your local police chief may not issue you a class A permit, meaning you can't even have preban pistol mags, or guns capable of accepting preban hicaps, even if you don't have any preban hicaps. You could call and inquire whether he issues Class A permits, and if he issues them for "All Lawful Purposes", which is a clause that allows you to legally carry concealed vs. a permit issued for Target, which only allows you to transport guns to and from the range.

I think your best bet may be to call the Police station of your new town, inquiring as to what you can do to hasten the permit from out of state, and whether you're ok to bring them in now.

Here is some information on Mass LTC-A and B, if you're not familiar with the differences-
lawshttp://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

To the OP - what city/town are you moving to? You might want to make the call now to find out what the departments deal is - ie if you need to make an appointment w/ the licensing officer or how that all works, so this way if you need to schedule an appt in the future you can accomplish that part of the wait already. I'm sure you've found the LTC A Application form on the web? Print that out and fill it out. Maybe be in touch w/ a firearms lawyer if you're not in a bright green town...

We're moving to Topsfield. There's no mention of it in typo1313's Guide to Gun Rights in Your MA Town thread, but I've herd one or two positive things about it.

I wasn't sure if calling the town PD before I get there was appropriate, but it looks like that's what I'll do next week.

Most movers will handle firearms (both handguns and longuns), bullets and brass but will not handle ammo, primers, or powder. I would let the movers handle what they can and transport the remainder myself.

There is a 99% chance you will not get a license in the allocated window. Leave them boxed up very well (ready for shipping) with a friend or FFL, and have them shipped here only when you are licensed. It seem innocuous to just move with them, lock them in the basement, and ignore them until you are licensed, but I have some stories about how bad things can turn out when you do this.

If you really want to move with them, get your application prepared now (you can do it, or any attorney on this board can do it). Your 1st stop is the police station (with a meeting already set), when you roll into town. Then, watch you calendar, and, if things are taking a while, you bring your collection to an FFL. Also, before you leave, get a crate of HKs and Glocks.

Topsfield promises a 45 day window, so that is good, but remember... they may take longer for you to get your card printed, after they approve you.

There is a 99% chance you will not get a license in the allocated window. Leave them boxed up very well (ready for shipping) with a friend or FFL, and have them shipped here only when you are licensed. It seem innocuous to just move with them, lock them in the basement, and ignore them until you are licensed, but I have some stories about how bad things can turn out when you do this.

If you really want to move with them, get your application prepared now (you can do it, or any attorney on this board can do it). Your 1st stop is the police station (with a meeting already set), when you roll into town. Then, watch you calendar, and, if things are taking a while, you bring your collection to an FFL. Also, before you leave, get a crate of HKs and Glocks.

I would advise against bringing your guns to an FFL for storage. There are plenty of people, here especially, who can store them free of charge.

We're moving to Topsfield. There's no mention of it in typo1313's Guide to Gun Rights in Your MA Town thread, but I've herd one or two positive things about it.

I wasn't sure if calling the town PD before I get there was appropriate, but it looks like that's what I'll do next week.

Couldn't move 25 minutes north? [wink]

Good luck on the move. Hopefully you're not moving when the Topsfield Fair is in town.

The charges would be high with an FFL... I agree. The risk would be remote as a new unlicensed MA resident "lending" firearms to a MA resident, but it still does exist.

The charges would be high with an FFL... I agree. The risk would be remote as a new unlicensed MA resident "lending" firearms to a MA resident, but it still does exist.

my safe almost never gets opened as of late [frown] no one would know if I was holding to other persons firearms, lol

Bring them with you. Otherwise you face the following:

- MUST file FA-10s for EVERY GUN you bring in AFTER you move in (not required if you move in with the guns).

- If you involve an FFL, you may find that some of your handguns can NOT be transfered to you at all in MA! In that case, you "lose them"!

Do NOT call any PD/LEO and ask "if it is OK to bring guns with you" . . . few know the law and many will use your info to hassle you.

Keep them locked up (not boxed up) at home until you get your LTC. I'm not aware of anyone prosecuted after 60 days due to PD incompetence. I won't say that it isn't possible, but if you don't touch them, 99.99999% of PDs won't hassle you. If you feel nervous as you approach 60 days, find a local NES friend who has space and is willing to store them for you temporarily. No transfer, no FA-10!

You can use the fact that you already own "hi cap firearms" as a way to ensure that the PD issues a LTC-A (even if restricted). Again, less than a fraction of a percent of PDs would "make you a felon" by ramming a LTC-B down your throat, knowing that you are moving in with hi-cap guns.

DO ask the PD what you need to do to expedite getting your LTC-A, make any appointments, etc. in advance of your move.

Good luck.

- MUST file FA-10s for EVERY GUN you bring in AFTER you move in (not required if you move in with the guns).

- If you involve an FFL, you may find that some of your handguns can NOT be transfered to you at all in MA! In that case, you "lose them"!

Do NOT call any PD/LEO and ask "if it is OK to bring guns with you" . . . few know the law and many will use your info to hassle you.

Keep them locked up (not boxed up) at home until you get your LTC. I'm not aware of anyone prosecuted after 60 days due to PD incompetence. I won't say that it isn't possible, but if you don't touch them, 99.99999% of PDs won't hassle you. If you feel nervous as you approach 60 days, find a local NES friend who has space and is willing to store them for you temporarily. No transfer, no FA-10!

You can use the fact that you already own "hi cap firearms" as a way to ensure that the PD issues a LTC-A (even if restricted). Again, less than a fraction of a percent of PDs would "make you a felon" by ramming a LTC-B down your throat, knowing that you are moving in with hi-cap guns.

DO ask the PD what you need to do to expedite getting your LTC-A, make any appointments, etc. in advance of your move.

Good luck.

I would love to see the court battle between someone who already owns high cap firearms and a PD who issues them an LTC-B. I so want to know how that would go down.

Topsfield used to be a very reasonable place . . . at least when my friend was Chief. But he left there many years ago and I have no idea these days.

I can tell you that there is a "lot of money" in Topsfield and I have every reason to believe that there are a lot of gun owners there too.

In small towns like this, one exerts political pressure on the Selectmen for "corrective action" when required. Courts are for the "last resort" as they take years and years and "justice" is never guaranteed!

Cockpit bob, take a look at our approved firearms list, and buy everything you want thats not on those lists before you come (in triplicate [wink]). Glocks, HKs, Springfield xDs, etc....

If you're already going to be northshore, why in God's name aren't you just going a little but further north into NH? I don't understand why anyone with a choice in the matter would move to Mass if they like their guns.

Where in CA are you moving from ?

Fremont, CA. Just south of the People's Republic of Berkeley and across the bay from Occupied San Francisco.

It's interesting seeing the differences in gun laws between the states. I'd say CA and MA are "different but equivalent". I recently picked up 2 XDs, which I can't get in MA, but on the other hand, my chances of getting an LTC in CA are "zero point shit over infinity".

Good luck.

Great advice! My plan is to move with the guns. Avoiding the FA-10 nuisance is one of several reasons.
I do own a pre-94 S&W 9mm with 12 round mags. It never occurred to me that it could be leverage for an LTC-A...outstanding!

Cockpit bob, take a look at our approved firearms list, and buy everything you want thats not on those lists before you come (in triplicate [wink]). Glocks, HKs, Springfield xDs, etc....

I've done as much of that as I can. 2 XDs

If you're already going to be northshore, why in God's name aren't you just going a little but further north into NH? I don't understand why anyone with a choice in the matter would move to Mass if they like their guns.

I'm an electrical engineer with a family. The jobs are closer to Boston. I've done 1+hr commutes before and I won't ever waste 2+hrs/day in traffic again. Life's too short.

Besides, someone has to stay and fight the good fight. If all good men flee to the comfort of NH, MA has no hope.

Couldn't move 25 minutes north? [wink]

Good luck on the move. Hopefully you're not moving when the Topsfield Fair is in town.

Oh crap!!!! The move-in date is 1 day before the Fair starts. [shocked]

Fremont, CA. Just south of the People's Republic of Berkeley and across the bay from Occupied San Francisco.

It's interesting seeing the differences in gun laws between the states. I'd say CA and MA are "different but equivalent". I recently picked up 2 XDs, which I can't get in MA, but on the other hand, my chances of getting an LTC in CA are "zero point shit over infinity".

I was born and raised in CA,I used to live in San Mateo and commute to Hayward before i moved to Tahoe.

Pick me up a HK45 will ya ? [smile]

I was born and raised in CA,I used to live in San Mateo and commute to Hayward before i moved to Tahoe.

Pick me up a HK45 will ya ? [smile]

Tahoe! Now that's God's country.

Naturally these jokes about group buys and ..pick me up a... are just good natured jokes. We all understand the illegality of straw purchases. (Had to say it for the benefit of those reading that may take it seriously.)

I think your best bet may be to call the Police station of your new town
Do NOT listen to the guy from New Hampshire.

Keep them locked up (not boxed up) at home until you get your LTC.
DO listen to the MA Constable - he knows the laws.

Oh, and buy anything you can afford that's NOT on our EOPS list and bring them with you. You can sell them off at 4/calendar year once you've got your LTC and get good prices for them.

Tahoe! Now that's God's country.

Naturally these jokes about group buys and ..pick me up a... are just good natured jokes. We all understand the illegality of straw purchases. (Had to say it for the benefit of those reading that may take it seriously.)

It's not a straw purchase if I can legally buy it from you when you move here.[wink]

I understand where you are coming from technically but from a practical level, this is not the best advice. The BS in trying to get them in after the fact is high. He is allowed 60 days after moving in and the state is required to process his application in 40 days. He has the law on his side on this one.

CockpitBob, send in the application the second you sign the papers for the house. Start that clock ASAP.

Even though the 'grace period' at the state level is 60 days, my LTC A took exactly 90 days and that was well before Obama got elected.

Don't trust 60 days...have a plan B.

Back
Top Bottom