Moving to Westchester County NY

CRR

I am moving to Weschester county, NY, is there anyone on this forum who knows what the regulations are in this county? I shoot competitive handgun and don't plan to apply for a concealed permit.

I am moving to Weschester county, NY, is there anyone on this forum who knows what the regulations are in this county? I shoot competitive handgun and don't plan to apply for a concealed permit.

Are you moving in from another state or just moving intrastate?

I live two counties north of Westchester in Dutchess county.

Under New York State law, you cannot even possess a handgun unless you have a pistol license. New York is definitely NOT a "shall-issue" state, which means you are at the whim of the county officials. In most upstate counties, they are issued by a county judge, after an investigation by the county sheriff. On Long Island - and possibly Westchester, not sure - it's handled by a county Police Commisioner. In a county with anti-gun officials that choose not to issue pistol licenses, you can't even keep one in your home legally.

New York City (A world unto itself here in NY) issues three types of licenses:

1) Premises - which allows you to keep the handgun in your home or business (jewelry store, etc.) but NOT transport it to or from a range.

2) Target - which DOES allow you to transport, unloaded, in a locked container, to and from the target range.

3) Carry - which is what it sounds like

Most counties in upstate NY only issue a simple pistol license, which means a carry permit. In some jurisdictions, though, the Judges arbitrarily attach limitations like "only valid while hunting or fishing" or "only valid while going to and from a range".

In Most of upstate NY, licenses are non-renewable. I got mine back in 72, and I've never had to renew it. The fee for adding or removing a handgun from your license is a reasonable $5 in Dutchess county. And yes, they register your handgun by serial number on your license. And if the Judge thinks you own more than a "reasonable" number, you may find yourself standing in front of him in court explaining why you think you "need" so many guns.

Westchester, however, got special legislation introduced a few years back so they are now a renewable county. So every three or four years, you will need to renew your license.

Westchester does NOT enjoy a reputation for being a gun-friendly county. You might be better off in Putnam county, which is just north of Westchester.

Another problem. The permit application asks for three local references. Not sure how they would handle somebody just moving in from another state who doesn't really know anybody locally.

Good Luck

Regards
John

Another problem. The permit application asks for three local references. Not sure how they would handle somebody just moving in from another state who doesn't really know anybody locally.

Erie County (Buffalo) required references from within your town and they had to know you for at least a YEAR. I made sure when I found that out that I took the time to get to know a few good neighbors and co-workers who lived in my town.

And, the license after all the baloney, application, state fees, FBI fees, prints, etc., took 9 MONTHS to process. They just hope you get frustrated and quit the process before you get the license.

Also good luck!

Bob

I lived for a time in Rockland County, across the Hudson from Westchester. The application process was onerous and expensive and required, among other things, letters of reference from a minimum of two County residents whom you had known for a minimum of two years. Made it pretty hard for a Massachusetts transplant to bring his guns with him.

I live two counties north of Westchester in Dutchess county.

Under New York State law, you cannot even possess a handgun unless you have a pistol license. New York is definitely NOT a "shall-issue" state, which means you are at the whim of the county officials. In most upstate counties, they are issued by a county judge, after an investigation by the county sheriff. On Long Island - and possibly Westchester, not sure - it's handled by a county Police Commisioner. In a county with anti-gun officials that choose not to issue pistol licenses, you can't even keep one in your home legally.

New York City (A world unto itself here in NY) issues three types of licenses:

1) Premises - which allows you to keep the handgun in your home or business (jewelry store, etc.) but NOT transport it to or from a range.

2) Target - which DOES allow you to transport, unloaded, in a locked container, to and from the target range.

3) Carry - which is what it sounds like

Most counties in upstate NY only issue a simple pistol license, which means a carry permit. In some jurisdictions, though, the Judges arbitrarily attach limitations like "only valid while hunting or fishing" or "only valid while going to and from a range".

In Most of upstate NY, licenses are non-renewable. I got mine back in 72, and I've never had to renew it. The fee for adding or removing a handgun from your license is a reasonable $5 in Dutchess county. And yes, they register your handgun by serial number on your license. And if the Judge thinks you own more than a "reasonable" number, you may find yourself standing in front of him in court explaining why you think you "need" so many guns.

Westchester, however, got special legislation introduced a few years back so they are now a renewable county. So every three or four years, you will need to renew your license.

Westchester does NOT enjoy a reputation for being a gun-friendly county. You might be better off in Putnam county, which is just north of Westchester.

Good Luck

Regards
John

Based on the 3 levels of permits offered in NYC, and apart from the AR restriction, NYC might seem a better alternative than Westchester, if I want to quickly resume competive pistol shooting. Once I have an NYC license for target shooting I can then travel throughout the state.

Does anyone live in NYC?

Based on the 3 levels of permits offered in NYC, and apart from the AR restriction, NYC might seem a better alternative than Westchester, if I want to quickly resume competive pistol shooting. Once I have an NYC license for target shooting I can then travel throughout the state.

Does anyone live in NYC?

I lived just outside of NYC for years and I think you are making an assumption on what Optimistic Paranoid was saying. He just said what they make available as a permit. I would press for more info from NYC residents re: the likelihood of the issuing those permits. This is not a shall issue state, even for target restrictions. I would also go to NYC and find some gun shops (which I think means finding one outside of the city limits) and ask around. I would hate to see you move and find out the hard way. Putnam cty may be your best best or LI.

Lived in NYC

A New York City license to carry is unbelievably hard to obtain. I lived there for about 10 years and the only people I knew who could carry a gun were NYPD. When I asked a friend (a detective) about getting one he told me to forget about it.

NYC is probably not the way to go

...I think you are making an assumption on what Optimistic Paranoid was saying. He just said what they make available as a permit. I would press for more info from NYC residents re: the likelihood of the issuing those permits. This is not a shall issue state, even for target restrictions.

Amen (sadly). To the original poster: you want to go north, young man, not south! The further you go "upstate", the better, as far as I can tell, particularly if you exclude the major upstate cities (e.g., Rochester). I don't have any first hand experience with Westchester, but NYC is arguably the least gun receptive jurisdiction of the ones being bandied about in this thread. I'd be happy to fill you in on any of the details re. NYC, but you might want to check out this thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29606 and my response in another thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=633066#post633066 (among others) for some useful information on NYC's licensing regime.

I live in Westchester County. You will need to apply for a permit for all handguns. Target will be easier to obtain than concealed carry. If you own over 5 handguns, you will need to prove that you have a safe. If you are in or retired from Law Enforcement, the fee is waived. Below is the link, good luck.

http://www.westchesterclerk.com/4213_4724.htm

Back
Top Bottom