moving to NYS; ban compliant AK's

Howdy,
I'm moving to Central NY State (Tompkins County) from Central Texas. I've been trying to read up on this as much as possible, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

I want to make my Yugo M70 AK variant (made/imported by Century Arms in 2007) legal in NY state. Is it true that all I need to do is weld on a "thread protector" over the flash hider threads and grind off the bayonet lug?

Or are there other things?

Are "post-ban" AKs commonly sold in NYS gun shops? Or am I potentially risking some hassle from law enforcement types if I bring it to the range to shoot it? (obviously all my hi-cap mags are pre-ban)

Should I just sell the Yugo down here and buy a ready-made ban compliant AK in NYS?

Glad to be joining the forum.

I live in Tompins county...................why the heck would you move to Tompkins county. Ithaca(county seat) is gun hell!!!!! I just wish i could leave. I went to the Ithaca mall a year ago (Borders)looking for Shotgun News on the magazine rack.......100's and 100's of magazines. there was Field & Stream, and i think a few bow hunting mags. NOTHING with guns. Oh and i almost forgot............. probably a dozen magazines of the joys of being a HOMO[angry]. Thats Ithaca. Glad the rest of the area isnt quite that bad yet.

Back
Top Bottom