Moving into Mass w/ previously owned guns question...

I've heard differing answers on all my questions in other places, so I thought I'd ask here since I know some lawyers post here.

1) I just graduated from a Boston area university and recently made Brighton my town of residence. I own several guns that are back in Maryland. I understand that I cannot bring my "assault weapons" to Boston due to the city's ban, but can I bring a handgun that I owned before I moved here that isn't legal for sale here (it's a relatively early Para P14 LDA Ltd)

2) Do I need to register those guns with FA10 forms once I get my LTC and bring them up here?

Welcome to the forum.

You have my sympathy about moving into Meninostan! You are in for a very tough ride trying to get a LTC in Boston.

Also, please reset your User CP from Default to see ALL THREADS and you'll find a wealth of legal info here. Advanced Search will turn up info regardless of User CP settings as well.

well, my application went in just under 4 weeks ago and I took the marksmanship test 3 weeks ago today and passed easily, so I'm hoping it'll be approved some time this month. It's definitely not going to be ALP, nor do I really mind that at this point.

Moving

By law, you can bring guns into the state that were owned out of state, and this does include those that are not allowable for us residents to own. HOWEVER, in order to possess a high capacity handgun in the state, you MUST have a LTC-A. Unfortunately, you may not be able to obtain one of these as the closer one gets to Boston the less likely an A will be issued. If they will only issue a B, which allows you to possess and transport a low capacity handgun in a locked container, you must dispose of your PO hi-cap LDA (I am assuming that it is a hi cap). You cannot sell it thru a MA FFL since it was not in the state prior to 10-98 so if it goes to a dealer, he will have to sell it outside of MA.

If you can, take up residence in a smaller town further from Boston where you may be able to get a LTC-A.

dd

Getting an LTC-A is not the problem in Boston, it's getting an unrestricted one. The one I have says: Sport/Target Only No Concealed Target

They will issue LTC-A just fine but only with restrictions. Unless you are a business owner or you bribe the mayor with campaign contributions. Or you have a friend in the massively corrupt and incompetent boston police department.

Back
Top Bottom