Moving from Oregon to Vermont, with guns

I searched, but my weak skills came up empty.
My son is moving to Vermont from Oregon soon, driving cross country in a small hatchback (no trunk) with all his stuff jammed in .
What is the best way for him to get his guns to Vermont? I want him to stay out of trouble, he doesn't always have the best luck.
He'll be staying with a family member in Vt, can they be shipped there, to an FFL, or to me in Mass to hold temporarily?

My son is moving to Vermont from Oregon soon, driving cross country in a small hatchback (no trunk) with all his stuff jammed in .
What is the best way for him to get his guns to Vermont? I want him to stay out of trouble, he doesn't always have the best luck.
He'll be staying with a family member in Vt, can they be shipped there, to an FFL, or to me in Mass to hold temporarily?

Search results

He can use FOPA but you say he has bad luck. He can mail long guns to himself at his new address. Never involve MA in anything gun related.

Follow FOPA. Legally he can only ship to himself or to an FFL. If handguns touch MA, likely no MA FFL will work with you or him and he may lose them.

Keep them in locked cases, buried under other stuff and never allow a "consensual" search of the car.

I think he might be able to mail them to himself.

Perhaps he can find a FFL and mail them to himself in care of said FFL.
He could probably mail them to himself in care of anybody.
A FFL would better be able to safe guard them though.
Offer the FFL $50 to keep the packages safe till he gets there.

I think it would be insane to go cross country with gun in a hatchback filled with other stuff.

Guns or no guns, he needs to plan on the possibility of getting robbed.
Keep all his expensive stuff in a bag with him at all times.
Or mail his laptop also.

If he owns any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds he would be wiser to mail them, unloaded, to the VT address prior to the move. Regardless of FOPA, which is routinely ignored by NY cops, possession them in MA, and probably other leftist jurisdictions, is a felony.

If he owns any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds he would be wiser to mail them, unloaded, to the VT address prior to the move. Regardless of FOPA, which is routinely ignored by NY cops, possession them in MA, and probably other leftist jurisdictions, is a felony.

If he's moving to VT and NOT stopping in MA for anything, no need as he's GTG. FOPA problems in NY seem to be airport issues, I haven't seen reports of this being an issue driving. Also if you refuse consent for a search of the car, how would them find them? Searching a car for a speeding infraction isn't legal (unless one is dumb enough to consent to the witchhunt).

He can't stay overnight in NY or NJ, as they will void his FOPA and have convicted people for doing that. I agree about PA, gun friendly state.

How many handguns and how many rifles?

If it is just a couple of each, it would be easier to just fly to VT and pay a company $500 to take the car there. It will probably end up costing about the same without all the worries.

If that is not an option, why not wait until he gets there and you ship them? - I don't know if the Oregon laws would allow you to do this, but if they do, then that would allow your son time to stop at different places and visit without worrying. Oregon to VT is a cool trip, why spend it worrying about a couple of guns in the back seat?

How many handguns and how many rifles?

If it is just a couple of each, it would be easier to just fly to VT and pay a company $500 to take the car there. It will probably end up costing about the same without all the worries.

If that is not an option, why not wait until he gets there and you ship them? - I don't know if the Oregon laws would allow you to do this, but if they do, then that would allow your son time to stop at different places and visit without worrying. Oregon to VT is a cool trip, why spend it worrying about a couple of guns in the back seat?

Fed Law only allows owner to ship, nobody else.

This is not that difficult. Print the FOPA laws protecting him and put them in glove box. Lock guns and ammo separately in cases in rearmost part of vehicle and drive to VT without stopping for anything but gas and food. Stop in a free state if needed to stay. Should be able to sleep in a truck stop for a few hours to get you ready to safely continue the drive. No reason to involve ffl or anything to do with MA or NY except to pass through without stopping.
Common sense is best practice obviously.
Don't speed or drink or do drugs etc and he will be fine.

Put guns in car per FOPA, don't stop in NY, etc, drive. Shipping shit around and other BS = pointless.

I wouldn't take a several hour detour just to avoid shitcago, either. Just transit that shit and get it done. Everyone here keeps shitting their pants, its not that big of a deal. Now if his car is junk and a cop magnet, and he drives like an *******, different story. Then he might want to ship guns. [laugh]

-Mike

Chicago like NYC has a bad habit of pulling over folks for no reason

Best way to avoid problems is to AVOID PROBLEMS

Overblown. I've never heard of anyone running into FOPA problems there.

Not to mention none of this matters, because most of the routes from Oregon would take him south of the city anyways, via i80.

-Mike

Chicago like NYC has a bad habit of pulling over folks for no reason

Best way to avoid problems is to AVOID PROBLEMS
Exactly. The Illinois State Police are revenue-hounds, probably because the state is billions in the red. They specialize in the crime of having out-of-state plates. Given the choice, I'd spend $12 for a priority mail box to send my hi-cap mags to VT rather than debate the chapter and verse of my copy of the FOPA law with some cop who probably never heard of it.

Get a big footlocker.....dont use rifle cases. Field strip rifles so they fit in the footlocker. Lock the footlocker. Put ammo in a separate locked box. Drive. Agree keep a printed copy of fopa with you.

Don't drive like a **** stick and if pulled over play nice.

Done.

Exactly. The Illinois State Police are revenue-hounds, probably because the state is billions in the red. They specialize in the crime of having out-of-state plates. Given the choice, I'd spend $12 for a priority mail box to send my hi-cap mags to VT rather than debate the chapter and verse of my copy of the FOPA law with some cop who probably never heard of it.

If they pull you over, deal with the MV infraction and go on your way. There is NO NEED to discuss firearms or what is in the boxes, cases, etc. in the back of the vehicle. And there is no legal justification for them to pull everything out of the vehicle and search it either . . . unless one is dumb enough to offer info or consent to a search (that otherwise would be illegal).

You folks are making a lot more of this than there is.

If they pull you over, deal with the MV infraction and go on your way. There is NO NEED to discuss firearms or what is in the boxes, cases, etc. in the back of the vehicle. And there is no legal justification for them to pull everything out of the vehicle and search it either . . . unless one is dumb enough to offer info or consent to a search (that otherwise would be illegal).

You folks are making a lot more of this than there is.

Simply, this.

Put guns in car per FOPA, don't stop in NY, etc, drive. Shipping shit around and other BS = pointless.

I wouldn't take a several hour detour just to avoid shitcago, either. Just transit that shit and get it done. Everyone here keeps shitting their pants, its not that big of a deal. Now if his car is junk and a cop magnet, and he drives like an *******, different story. Then he might want to ship guns. [laugh]

-Mike

You should have ended that with a video !! [rofl]

Follow FOPA. Legally he can only ship to himself or to an FFL. If handguns touch MA, likely no MA FFL will work with you or him and he may lose them.

Keep them in locked cases, buried under other stuff and never allow a "consensual" search of the car.

Yes and don't stay overnight in Illinois, New Jersey, New York or CT.

i guess his real problems would be Chicago area and all of NY state, and obviously no side trips into Canada. there should be no reason to enter MA, just go RTe 7 thru NY to Bennington VT.

I would lock all ammo in one box, and trigger lock everything else and put a big rug on top of it all so there is no visual sign they are there when looking thru the windows. In NY, have him run the speed limit, especially if he gets off the main thruway! NY Cops LOVE to jack up speeders from out of state.

Overnight, i would pick a motel where i can park my car near my room door, and just move all the guns into my room

Last edited:
Have him drive through PA as far as possible, rather than across all of NY.

if you look at the map, it does not buy you much, you have to go way north in NY from PA to hit VT. But it is not a bad idea, especially if he is going to stop overnight for a nap. It is 100% safer to stay in a PA motel than a NY motel!

Thanks for all the good responses, I'll pass all this wisdom on to him.
If he decides (due to lack of cargo space) to ship his long guns, it appears that he can send them to himself legally. Does this fly for handguns as well? What carrier?

i guess his real problems would be Chicago area and all of NY state, and obviously no side trips into Canada. there should be no reason to enter MA, just go RTe 7 thru NY to Bennington VT.

I would lock all ammo in one box, and trigger lock everything else and put a big rug on top of it all so there is no visual sign they are there when looking thru the windows. In NY, have him run the speed limit, especially if he gets off the main thruway! NY Cops LOVE to jack up speeders from out of state.

Overnight, i would pick a motel where i can park my car near my room door, and just move all the guns into my room

And this is what gets people into legal trouble. FOPA does NOT recognize trigger locks for transportation any more than MA does!! MUST be in a locked container or FOPA won't protect him and prison isn't a fun trip.

Thanks for all the good responses, I'll pass all this wisdom on to him.
If he decides (due to lack of cargo space) to ship his long guns, it appears that he can send them to himself legally. Does this fly for handguns as well? What carrier?

Legally he can ship handguns and long guns to himself. Handguns MUST go via UPS or FedEx (depots only, no stores) and their rules cause a problem . . . must go air (2nd day air should work) plus they will not accept shipment of guns unless it is going or coming to/from FFL. USPO will ship long guns only and do it by ground with NO FFL required.

Yes and No

FOPA was written with the explicit intent that locked container = trunk

If you have no trunk then they need to be out of reach of driver and in a locked gun case of sorts other than console/glove box

Firearms in trunk need to be in some sort of bag/case......a sock qualifies for the purposes of the law

Here's the actually code

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

It goes without saying that the firearms need to be unloaded and ammo separate from firearms

There is no trunk here (OP), therefore my statement still stands.

I'm also not certain that the intent was literally putting uncased (and case locked) guns in a trunk would be adequate but I'm unaware of any such cases for or against.

Having driven across NY with firearms in my trunk, I can say that it's the longest 70 miles between CT and PA that I've ever driven. You can literally feel the freedom when you see that "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign. Even on the return trip it was a relief to see the CT border.

Anyways, as Len has said previously. Guns in a locked container in the back underneath everything, ammo in a separate locked container, don't consent to any searches should he get pulled over for speeding. Keep a copy of FOPA handy but hidden. Bury any concealed carry permits in your wallet so they aren't conspicuous. Don't drive like an idiot and he'll be fine.

If he's really nervous, shorten routes through Illinois and New York. Definitely don't stay overnight in either state. Stay out of New Jersey completely.

Back
Top Bottom