• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving from CT Permit question

Hello all, I'm going to be leaving CT this summer, I have my resident permit to carry pistols and revolvers as I am a legal Ct resident (Active duty stationed here) and my question: I'll be living in TX but maintain my home in CT while the wife is putting it on the market, and then catch up to me in TX for the final exit. When I move to TX, do I need to notify CT of the change in order for my permit to still be valid in the event I come back here to help with the closing/move? If for some reason I wanted to maintain my permit, can I switch it over from a res to a non-res?

Wow, that was quick. I feel kinda stoopid now, looks like that was pretty clear cut (not what I was expecting).

I can't swear that it's right, only that the link's good and that's what's there...

As for feeling stupid, don't. The page is kind of buried. I knew it was there because I had the same question a couple of weeks ago. :)

Cool man I appreciate it. It wasn't going to be a deal breaker either way but figured 75.00 every 5 years I'll keep it up just for the sake of it if only for the reciprocity with states I may travel to. I just really can't see myself ever setting foot in Ct again. I looked on the TX DPS website and they honor CT's permit, so I should be good to go while waiting for my TX CHL.

The other thing Stape, is that if you are returning to CT on a regular basis to sell your home, you are still a resident of CT when you are up here.

This would be especially true if you maintained a bed and clothes in your home while it was for sale.

Once your CT PP expires, I wouldn't bother renewing it unless you were going to be in CT again.

Spend your money on a FL permit. It will get you a lot more reciprocity. And you won't have to take a specific class for it like you would a UT LTC.

Don

One of the only reasonable things about a CT permit is the ability to renew indefinitely by simply keeping your primary mailing address up to date.

One of the only reasonable things about a CT permit is the ability to renew indefinitely by simply keeping your primary mailing address up to date.
yes very pragmatic about CT in that respect, its all about the $$$$$

This is interesting news to me.

So if you move out of state, just keep renewing with an out of state address? Nothing changes?

According to the state's web page...

I'd keep the permit, even if I had no intention of coming back. It's one more state that he's licensed in if he visits, and it's recognized by other states.

According to the state's web page...

I'd keep the permit, even if I had no intention of coming back. It's one more state that he's licensed in if he visits, and it's recognized by other states.

Per my research, there are no states that recognize CT that don't recognize FL. So why not just get a FL? (per usacarry.com)

Honor CT Permit
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin

Honor FL permit
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

Honor FL and not CT
Delaware, Florida, Georga, Louisiana, North Dakota, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Honor CT and not FL
CT and Wisconsin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom