Mouth and Dental First Aid

Dental first aid cannot be overlooked. If you have ever had tooth troubles of lived with someone that has you know why I say this. Oh, and of course a toothache always occurs when the dentist’s office is closed…unwritten rule of pain.

Toothache & Tooth Loss contains sound advice but it is not a real first aid primmer.

Let’s look at what we need…

Prefab kits:

Dental First-Aid Kit – Deluxe from Nitro-Pak looks promising albeit somewhat of overkill for many city or semi-rural dwellers. Of course, it is better to err on the margin of safety…

Made EXCLUSIVELY for Nitro-Pak. Our Deluxe Dental First-Aid Kit has been a top seller for over 10 years. A MUST HAVE KIT when dental emergencies unexpectedly happen and no dentist is available. Nothing can remind you faster about real pain faster than dental problems!

Our Deluxe Dental First Aid Kit comes with simple to follow instructions and is easy to use. No dental skills required. Handles a variety of temporary dental emergencies including lost fillings, knocked out teeth, sore gums, toothaches, and more. We highly recommend adding this to your first-aid and TRAVEL supplies. Comes packed in a heavy-duty waterproof ziplock bag (not with blue nylon bag shown it photo above).

* Dentist approved!
* A travel & emergency kit must!
* Weighs only 5.2 ounces!
* Suggested Retail: $35.00! (on sale for $25.99)

* List of Contents: Eugenol Clove Oil (pain relief)
* Cavit® (temporary filling)
* Mouth Dental Mirror
* Tweezers
* Topical Anesthetic (3)
* Dental Wax (holds loose tooth in place)
* Dental floss
* Spatula (for use with Cavit®)
* Cotton Rolls (5)
* Toothpicks (4)
* Cotton Pellets (5)
* 3"x3" sterile dressings (4)
* Motrin® Pain Relief (4)
* Antimicrobial Viral/Bacteria Hand Wipe
* Nitrile Exam Gloves (2)
* Infectious Waste Bag
* Instruction Sheet

DenTek Toothache Kit – Price: $6.99 (This is an extremely basic kit and it is available at most drugstores.)

Each Kit Contains:

* Temparin - Temporary Filling Material
* Toothache Medication
* Crown Saver
* Tooth Saver

Do a search on-line and there are many available. The bottom line it a prefabricated kit may be cheaper but you may still have to add a few items to it. Remember dental/mouth first aid does not only pertain to the teeth. There are canker sores and mouth lacerations to consider and, externally, cold sores or so-called fever blisters and even severly-chapped lips can cause medical problems if not treated.

A short list of additional items to stock are:

* Salt for use as a mouth wash/rinse.
* Liquid Diphenhydramine (Benadryl).
* Maalox (or generic) liquid.
* Topical anesthetics that contain benzocaine (5% to 20%), lidocaine (0.5% to 4%), tetracaine (2%) or dibucaine
0.25% to 1%) examples are Lipactin® gel and Zilactin®.

You may want to build your own dental kit, as many of these items will be redundant with your existing medical supplies, the decision it strictly up to you.

I have a document entitled “Canker and Cold Sores” which covers, rather completely, the topics. As well, I also have "First Aid for Dental Emergencies" by the North Dakota Department of Health/2001. I will be more than happy to share either document. Both are on the FTP site in the First Aid folder or I can e-mail you a copy.

There is an excellent product called Hank's Balanced Salt Solution (sold under various names) which is excellent for preserving a tooth for a day or so if it gets knocked out.

There is an excellent product called Hank's Balanced Salt Solution (sold under various names) which is excellent for preserving a tooth for a day or so if it gets knocked out.

Scotch or Bourbon works just as well.....really, not kidding!

I use to have a job that had me away from civilization for stretches of time I became good friends with ambosol if i got a tooth ache in the middle of nowhere

Back
Top Bottom