• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mother of Ethan Song takes to Twitter to push for Gun Storage Law(s)

As you read the tweets from the mother of Ethan Song below who is pushing for more gun control (storage laws), keep in mind the state of Connecticut's investigation report into her son's death:

Report of the State’s Attorney for the Judicial District of Waterbury Concerning the Investigation Into the Death of Ethan Song in Guilford, CT on January 31, 2018
Investigatory Results

Mr. Song’s death was a tragic event in that he accidentally shot himself in the head with a .357 magnum handgun which was stored in a master bedroom closet at the location where he was shot. Mr. Song did not reside at this location and he was not related to the gun owner. This handgun was one of three which was owned by an adult male who resided at the home. On the date in question, it appears that all three weapons had been stored in a cardboard box inside of a large Tupperware container in this closet. Each weapon was secured with an operable gun lock. There is no evidence that the gun used was loaded at the time it was stored within the closet. However, ammunition for the gun was located within the same small cardboard box next to the weapon used, inside of the Tupperware container. It appears that this small cardboard box was hidden under some clothing in the larger Tupperware container. Subsequent investigation has established that the keys to the gunlocks on the three weapons were hidden in the same Tupperware container in a separate area hidden under other clothing.

An exhaustive review has determined that during the months prior to January 31, 2018, juveniles had gained access to the adult male’s weapons and played with them on several occasions. It appears that the weapons were returned to their original location after each access and there is no evidence that the gun owner knew that the guns had been retrieved by the juveniles. Rather, it appears that there was a deliberate attempt by the juveniles to withhold this information from the gun owner. There is no evidence that Mr. Song knew that the gun responsible for his death was loaded or that he had any role in loading it.

View: https://twitter.com/kristinsong3/status/1737871438403551693

My name is Kristin Song.

On January 31, 2018, my son Ethan was shot in the head in his best friend's house. The father/gun owner stored 3 handguns and ammunition in a shoebox.

Ethan's friend had been accessing the guns for over 6 months.

At the hospital, the ER doctor slid down the wall, put his head in his hands, and whispered, "Your son is gone." At that instant, all I knew, loved and trusted was imploded into a million tiny pieces.

I begged to say goodbye to my beautiful boy. I wanted to kiss his forehead, tell him how cherished he was, and tuck him in one last time. But the doctor begged me to remember Ethan as he was, you see, he was unrecognizable even to my eyes.

The day before Thanksgiving in 2018, the prosecutor told me she would not charge the negligent gun owner, and if I wanted negligent gun owners to be held accountable, I would have to change the law. So I did.
6 months later, Connecticut passed Ethan's Law, which requires gun owners to secure their weapons if children can gain access.

Then, I learned that so many states stood silent on this issue, so in 2019, I turned my attention to passing Ethan's Law nationally. I met with over 400 congressional offices, 130 of them Republican.
In 2022, Ethan's Law was passed in the House of Representatives as part of the Safer Communities Act. Sadly, it was not picked up in the final package.

When the Democrats lost the House of Representatives in 2023, I pivoted to passing safe gun storage laws in the States. As a result, Michigan, New Mexico, and Maryland passed safe storage laws.
Currently, I am working with 5 states to pass Ethan's Law.

I am emotionally and mentally exhausted, but I will not stop until there is a cultural shift in this country where it becomes second nature to secure your weapons around unsupervised children.

If you believe in protecting children from gun violence, please follow and repost.

View: https://twitter.com/kristinsong3/status/1737881878772789557

Sadly, his friend grew up with guns, went to the shooting range all the time and had just taken the NRA safety course and his friend still took his father’s loaded unsecured gun, raised it up and shot my son in the head. And don’t worry I blame myself everyday it was my job to protect Ethan and I failed. You don’t need to pile on. I hope and pray you don’t ever have to bury a child. Merry Christmas.

it is obviously not going to be any social justice served in this country and no calm existence for women until an every single white male will get incarcerated and then incinerated.
only total and unrestricted removal of all toxic masculinity can resolve the current unacceptable situation.
kill off all the males. chicks rule.

ps. only white masculinity is toxic, all other colors and shades are 'exotic'.

Quick look
I am not smart enough to interpret anything

The kid had nothing to do with horses
Mother owned two horses pre anything happening
They start an anti gun organization
They take money in the foundation
Kristin Song said her own need for healing after Ethan’s death moved her to start the horse sanctuary.
ACTIVITY CLASSIFICATION: GRANT. GRANTEE NAME: ALL THE KING'S HORSES. GRANTEE ADDRESS: FOREST ROAD NORTHFORD, CT 06472. GRANTEE RELATIONSHIP: NONE. PROPERTY DESCRIPTION: CASH. DATE OF GIFT: VARIOUS. AMOUNT GIVEN: 26,841.

And the address is a 1.5 million dollar home

14Occupancy, rent, utilities, and maintenance...................1414,024

quote about the situation with storage
The key to the gun’s lock, along with ammunition, had been stored in a plastic box.
he bill is named after our son Ethan who was shot and killed by an unsecured gun at a neighbor's home.
Gun was secured, key was unsecured
Ban unsecured keys

(Don't sue me, I don't have any money anyways, and this is just an uneducated opinion........ toss me some grant money if you want to educate me)

Mandatory safe gun handling classes in all public schools starting in kindergarten
Gun safety could be taught in a way where that wouldn’t even be the evil topic.

Call the class or subject of study “common sense life essentials”. it would involve all dangerous tools that could be encountered in life and how to safely handle situation.
Saws, nail guns etc.

Gun was secured, key was unsecured
Ban unsecured keys
It's not about the key or the fact the gun had a gun lock on it. CT state law at the time mandated some form of secure storage if one had minors in the home. Due to her push they changed CT state "safe storage" law to mandate guns be locked up in the home even if no minors are in the home. Note what she said when she settled with the gun owner for $1 million.

Ethan Song’s parents settle lawsuit for $1 million in Guilford teen’s fatal shooting
“We sued Mr. Markle because we have always felt that Ethan’s death lies at his feet,” Song said in her text. “He would not stand up and take responsibility for his actions and instead [threw] his child under the bus. We want to send a message to gun owners that they need to take personal responsibility for their deadly weapons. They are the ones who brought the guns into the home and they should pay the ultimate price — not the children. Access to [guns] accounts for a majority of suicide in children and accidental shootings. Eight children a day lose their life because the gun owners did not secure their weapon.”

I feel for the parents, but that answer doesn't equate to telling me how to store firearms in my own house.

You always see these stories and it is always the firearm that is at fault. No one ever considers respect for personal property and kids being in places where they shouldn't be.

This kind of story comes out and the parent is always looking for a way to blame someone else for what happened. The parents don't think they have any responsibility for teaching their kid about gun safety (projecting here) because they are wealthy anti-gun liberals who are blaming the person who bought a firearm.

How many cases have you heard of wealthy parents purchasing a new sports car for their 16 year old that gets killed for driving too fast, and is charged for causing their child's death...none.

How about suing the federal government when someone falls off a cliff in a national park by someone walking on an unmarked trail too close to the edge?
Is personal responsibility a thing anymore?

My kids were taught to leave guns alone, how to check them to see if they were loaded (every time) and were allowed to touch and shoot them with proper supervision.

Last edited:
I feel for the parents, but that answer doesn't equate to telling me how to store firearms in my own house.

You always see these stories and it is always the firearm that is at fault. No one ever considers respect for personal property and kids being in places where they shouldn't be.

This kind of story comes out and the parent is always looking for a way to blame someone else for what happened. The parents don't think they have any responsibility for teaching their kid about gun safety (projecting here) because they are wealthy anti-gun liberals who are blaming the person who bought a firearm.

How many cases have you heard of wealthy parents purchasing a new sports car for their 16 year old that gets killed for driving too fast, and is charged for causing their child's death...none.

How about suing the federal government when someone falls off a cliff in a national park by someone walking on an unmarked trail too close to the edge?
Is personal responsibility a thing anymore?

My kids were taught to leave guns alone, how to check them to see if they were loaded (every time) and were allowed to touch and shoot them with proper supervision.
No such thing as personal responsibility anymore

People who don't give a shit about securing their guns are not going to care about this. The best you can do is prosecute for negligence. And that isn't going to stop people who do this from doing it. So tired of this.

And I'm more of a fan of S&G's Mother & Child Reunion song over Mother Of Ethan song.

Friend charged with manslaughter and friends father settled with Ethan's parents for $1 million

Majorly libeling her son‘s friend and the gun owner In that tweet.

View attachment 830594View attachment 830595

so.... who's right? did the kid play russian roulette with all cylinders loaded and finally get some oxygen to his brain or did his friend do it? Someone is lying.
Someone signed that report under penalty of law. I'm not saying unscrupulous investigators are out there, I'm just saying someone put some coin in the game and signed something after looking at the facts.

Friend charged with manslaughter and friends father settled with Ethan's parents for $1 million

Amazing first post, who are you family or friend? Reading is fundamental. The police report said Ethan shot HIMSELF.

People who don't give a shit about securing their guns are not going to care about this. The best you can do is prosecute for negligence. And that isn't going to stop people who do this from doing it. So tired of this.

And I'm more of a fan of S&G's Mother & Child Reunion song over Mother Of Ethan song.
I tend to agree, but 'if' the gun was locked up, even securing your weapons isn't enough to protect from a lawsuit/charges.

Quick, who here can't get a "secured" handgun unsecured without a key in between 30 seconds (Master trigger lock) to 5 minutes (cable lock, including the time to go into the cellar to get my cutters) ?

What’s the point of this thread? Someone who is devastated by her kid being dead is pushing for gun control?

As others have said, people who don’t care about keeping their guns secured around kids certainly won’t care about a law requiring it.

I love guns, have many of them, and plan to introduce my kids to them when they are old enough. I have them well secured from the kids, but have rapid access to them. It’s not hard. You can’t fix stupid. There is a reason thousands of children die from various accidents every year, only a fraction of which are related to firearms. Sometimes it’s just shit awful luck and nobody’s fault, but often it’s idiot adults and unattentive parents — whether it being drownings, shootings, car wrecks, falls, accidentally poisonings, etc.

Amazing first post, who are you family or friend? Reading is fundamental. The police report said Ethan shot HIMSELF.
Username trotter
Definitions of trotter. a horse trained to trot; especially a horse trained for harness racing. synonyms: trotting horse. types: pole horse. the horse having a starting position next to the inside rail in a harness race.
CT IP address ?

What’s the point of this thread? Someone who is devastated by her kid being dead is pushing for gun control?
I think the point is two fold.

First, that they are mandating storage laws for people who have no kids in their home because of an accident that began with someone unsecuring a secured firearm. Seems like a redundant and unnecessary law to further burden people who are doing nothing wrong.

Second, that you can have your weapons legally secured and still be held responsible if someone decides to unsecure them without your knowledge and use them on themselves.

I think the point is two fold.

First, that they are mandating storage laws for people who have no kids in their home because of an accident that began with someone unsecuring a secured firearm. Seems like a redundant and unnecessary law to further burden people who are doing nothing wrong.

Second, that you can have your weapons legally secured and still be held responsible if someone decides to unsecure them without your knowledge and use them on themselves.

Not sure that I'd call a locked container and its key inside the another container "secured". That being said, someone drilling the 4 rules of gun safety into his head before that would have prevented it all. Even if you don't have guns, its right up there with "safe sex" talk on the list of mandatory talks.

Not sure that I'd call a locked container and its key inside the another container "secured".
While it's easy to criticize the keys being in close proximity to the locked firearm. How many keeps the keys to their gun safe, gun cabinet, gun locks somewhere in the home? Keep them in an easy to access location close by where the firearms are stored? Keep them in a desk or nightstand drawer? Keep them in the same room as the guns or down the hall from the guns?

If one looks at the mother's other statement(s), particularly her comments after settling with the gun owner for $1 million, they'll see what the next step will be. Hold the gun owner responsible simply for having the gun in the home.

As already point out, her desire for government to mandate how people store their guns is affecting people who don't even have kids and may not ever have kids in their home. And as we saw in CT, her group relentlessly demands the "safe storage" laws be expanded every year. Because of her group, CT has gone from having the gun locked up if a 16 year old or younger lives in the home, to an 18 year old or younger in the home, to everyone has to lock up their guns even if they don't have kids in the home. No doubt next legislative session, next month, they'll be back with more demands.

Last edited:
Quick, who here can't get a "secured" handgun unsecured without a key in between 30 seconds (Master trigger lock) to 5 minutes (cable lock, including the time to go into the cellar to get my cutters) ?
My loaded P220 is less than 30” from my head right now. “Secured” in a drawer with 2 spare 8 round magazine next to it.
I’m not stupid enough to point it at my head and pull the trigger.

While it's easy to criticize the keys being in close proximity to the locked firearm. How many keeps the keys to their gun safe, gun cabinet, gun locks somewhere in the home? Keep them in an easy to access location close by where the firearms are stored? Keep them in a desk or nightstand drawer? Keep them in the same room as the guns or down the hall from the guns?

If one looks at the mother's other statement(s), particularly her comments after settling with the gun owner for $1 million, they'll see what the next step will be. Hold the gun owner responsible simply for having the gun in the home.

As already point out, her desire for government to mandate how people store their guns is affecting people who don't even have kids and may not ever have kids in their home. And as we saw in CT, her group relentlessly demands the "safe storage" laws be expanded every year. Because of her group, CT has gone from having the gun locked up if a 16 year old or younger lives in the home, to an 18 year old or younger in the home, to everyone has to lock up their guns even if they don't have kids in the home. No doubt next legislative session, next month, they'll be back with more demands.
Another good reason why negotiating "common sense" on gun control issues will be concluded when there is nothing left in your safe, except for maybe a wrist rocket or some throwing stars.

This is another angle of the gun grabbers...they want the whole pie and every time we give in you lose a little more until the next time they want you to forfeit more rights.

They want the whole pie, including the sugar, flour and the apples so you are left with nothing.

Back
Top Bottom