Mossberg shotgun maintenance/repair

MGnoob

NES Life Member
NES Member
I’m just curious what you guys would do.

My brother used my shotgun to take a deer a few years back. I let him borrow it two seasons ago. When I went to use it this season I noticed it was missing the little brass front “bead” site. No big deal It just fell out. I’m going to replace it.

I’ve had this rail kit for it so I could put a red dot on it. I went to put it on after I was missing the front sight. There’s four little screws that you take out and then bolt the rail onto it. I could only get two of them out. I did attach the rail but then I kind of just put it away because I don’t need it till next year.

I stopped because I didn’t wanna strip the screws out. I tried tightening a little bit and then loosening. But if I continued I was just gonna strip them out and I didn’t wanna have to start drilling on it. What would you guys do, leave it with the two screws? I guess it’s secure enough. The other option was to take a little torch and try heating them up. I didn’t have my micro torch or I would have. I just didn’t want to get carried away cause it’s got this weird camo mossy Oak Paint job. I guess it doesn’t matter because it’s all gonna be covered by the rail if I mess up the finish. But I try not to do things like that in case I decide I don’t like the rail.

What would you guys do? I just hate ruining my own stuff I’d rather pay a gunsmith to ruin it for me..

I may post some pictures later but it’s not really anything crucial. Just looking for your thoughts

Last edited:
The screws might have a bit of locktite on the threads. If you have one those 250 watt soldering guns, put the heating element on the top of the screw head for minute or two while it’s hot and see if the heat will soften the locktite long enough for you back out the screws.

Its also possible that a bit of moisture got into the threads and it’s corroded a little. A drop of penetrating oil around the screwheads and left for a few hours to work its way in might work too.

Soldering iron is exactly what I was thinking. One of my other post explain how I can’t find my soldering iron I have Several the one I found was missing a tip I guess I could’ve used it anyway but I Threw it out. There isn’t Loctite on the screws

Thank you for the suggestion that’s probably how I’m gonna have to approach it.

I suppose I could just heat up something and then apply heat to it if I don’t feel like going getting a soldering iron

It seems to me like it’s corrosion

Soldering iron is exactly what I was thinking. One of my other post explain how I can’t find my soldering iron I have Several the one I found was missing a tip I guess I could’ve used it anyway but I Threw it out. There isn’t Loctite on the screws

Thank you for the suggestion that’s probably how I’m gonna have to approach it.

I suppose I could just heat up something and then apply heat to it if I don’t feel like going getting a soldering iron

It seems to me like it’s corrosion
If it’s corrosion, a few drops of PB Blaster around the screw heads and let it seep in for an hour or two. Also, if your screwdriver fits the slot on the screw really well, you could try putting the screwdriver in the screw head and tapping the top of the screwdriver with a small hammer gently while trying to back the screw out. I think tapping the driver helps break the bond the corrosion has in the tapped hole. You have to be gentle though…just light taps

Your spot on. These little bastards are stubborn. I don’t know why anything is ever smaller than a 1/4-20…
I believe you’re right and they’re slotted. When you replace them when you bolt on the rail they are Allen head… I just have so much experience with bullshit but at least I have the restraint to stop before I make a f***ing mess of something.

I’ll have to send photos. There’s four screws two pair close together spread out about 4 inches apart. I got one out of each two groups.. So it is secure but my OCD won’t let me stop there I don’t like doing things that aren’t complete…

The whole thing isn’t a big deal I was just looking for suggestions because you guys come up with some great stuff. A lot of tricks I used before but you guys come up with new ones sometimes.

Last edited:
I think the biggest failure is the size of the screw and the fact that you need a flat head to take it out. I made sure I had the exact right size screwdriver. Such a tiny screwdriver but then I put the channel locks on it so I can get the torque I needed. Basically my shotguns been Exposed to the elements and it’s old.. No matter what happens. If I replace the front sight it’s still a lethal tool. This is another gun I won at an NRA raffle..
I believe I won three firearms that day. Everybody was all upset. I told the guy I’m just gonna stand here till you draw my next ticket.. And no shit the next ticket was mine. Unfortunately everybody already grabbed all the good guns.

Friends of the NRA banquet dinner. Great time

I’m just curious what you guys would do.

My brother used my shotgun to take a deer a few years back. I let him borrow it two seasons ago. When I went to use it this season I noticed it was missing the little brass front “bead” site. No big deal It just fell out. I’m going to replace it.

I’ve had this rail kit for it so I could put a red dot on it. I went to put it on after I was missing the front sight. There’s four little screws that you take out and then bolt the rail onto it. I could only get two of them out. I did attach the rail but then I kind of just put it away because I don’t need it till next year.

I stopped because I didn’t wanna strip the screws out. I tried tightening a little bit and then loosening. But if I continued I was just gonna strip them out and I didn’t wanna have to start drilling on it. What would you guys do, leave it with the two screws? I guess it’s secure enough. The other option was to take a little torch and try heating them up. I didn’t have my micro torch or I would have. I just didn’t want to get carried away cause it’s got this weird camo mossy Oak Paint job. I guess it doesn’t matter because it’s all gonna be covered by the rail if I mess up the finish. But I try not to do things like that in case I decide I don’t like the rail.

What would you guys do? I just hate ruining my own stuff I’d rather pay a gunsmith to ruin it for me..

I may post some pictures later but it’s not really anything crucial. Just looking for your thoughts
I replaced the factory rifle sights on my 870s slug barrel with Trueglow sights. Got them from a company called "Cheaper Than Dirt" for about $30. Excellent value for the dollar. If they have these sights for your Mossberg, I would highly recommend them.

It’s an 870.. I looked at those sites as well. I’m just thinking red dot but either way I still need to replace the front sight just in case

1. Do you have the receiver secure in a solid vise.
2. Make sure your bit fits very well . Both width and length
DO NOT use a tapper screw driver.
3. Apply you psychological support oil of choice
4. Heating with a soldering works wonders
BUT
Make sure the tip is as hot as it can get
Place it on the screw for a good 20 sec
You dont want to heat it to much. If you get the screw so hot that the surrounding metal is just as hot it does not always work well.
Plus you have aluminum receiver so just proceed slowly
That steel to aluminum corrosive bond is awful. Go slow if you get movement stop clean , oil turn in and out until it comes free. < dis regard this I read “mossy” in the OP and it just = mossberg in my head.

Also see if where the screws go through the receiver on the inside they are not peened over or damaged in some way.
Been a while since I put my eyes on a 500 or any mossberg shotgun

I would probably go this route vs the rail on receiver
54F4C2F1-F298-4DC1-ADA2-69219486EC50.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m gonna take a video of this when I f*** it up… I just hate uncompleted projects… It’s some really basic stuff that shouldn’t be very difficult. I’d be happy just to get one more screw out of the motherf***er…

I’ve never had a shotgun with a red dot but I do want one.

Worst case scenario is it is going on gun broker

Your spot on. These little bastards are stubborn. I don’t know why anything is ever smaller than a 1/4-20…
I believe you’re right and they’re slotted. When you replace them when you bolt on the rail they are Allen head… I just have so much experience with bullshit but at least I have the restraint to stop before I make a f***ing mess of something.

I’ll have to send photos. There’s four screws two pair close together spread out about 4 inches apart. I got one out of each two groups.. So it is secure but my OCD won’t let me stop there I don’t like doing things that aren’t complete…

The whole thing isn’t a big deal I was just looking for suggestions because you guys come up with some great stuff. A lot of tricks I used before but you guys come up with new ones sometimes.
1/4 20 would be huge for that application.
Plus you can make more screws with less material when they are smaller.
I would replace those allen screws with torx bit .

I’m gonna take a video of this when I f*** it up… I just hate uncompleted projects… It’s some really basic stuff that shouldn’t be very difficult. I’d be happy just to get one more screw out of the motherf***er…

I’ve never had a shotgun with a red dot but I do want one.

Worst case scenario is it is going on gun broker
For small stubborn screws I have had a lot of luck using a 1/4” breaker bar to hold the bit . Then with slight pressure turning I tap with a small hammer on top of the breaker bar.
I use this method alot with rotted bleeder screws
Lightly - meaning small hammer
With blows that are basically the weight of the hammer from a few inches.
I will give you this tip.
Take your bit all on its own tap it into the screw slot lightly if it does not stand on its own its not a good fit.
Then as you lightly tap see if any rusty film works up around the the screw.
Clean it off and keep doing this.
Its usually the corrosion right at the end of the threads that locks up hard.
Check the inside also
My hammer of choice for most “smith” jobs is a 4 or 6 oz ball pean with polished head.

Last edited:
I’ve changed my mind. I’m gonna go surrender this weapon to The police department… And take my new one out of the box and continue with my life. This isn’t a family heirloom. It’s either that or put it in the trash I don’t even care… That would blow their minds right? We’re talking about nothing here.

Its garbage anyway…

If it’s corrosion, a few drops of PB Blaster around the screw heads and let it seep in for an hour or two. Also, if your screwdriver fits the slot on the screw really well, you could try putting the screwdriver in the screw head and tapping the top of the screwdriver with a small hammer gently while trying to back the screw out. I think tapping the driver helps break the bond the corrosion has in the tapped hole. You have to be gentle though…just light taps

I would try this. PB Blaster might be all you need.

I’ve changed my mind. I’m gonna go surrender this weapon to The police department… And take my new one out of the box and continue with my life. This isn’t a family heirloom. It’s either that or put it in the trash I don’t even care… That would blow their minds right? We’re talking about nothing here.

Its garbage anyway…
At least toss it in my trash bin!

I know it sounds crazy, I’m just tired wasting my time things that don’t matter…

I pay good money for the police to be like what the f***?

I just get so frustrated with shit I have no emotional attachment to.

I shelled out the $14.50.. For a new brass bead for the front site. I haven’t installed it yet but it sure doesn’t look like the right one. I think I should’ve bought the one with a little plastic white bead on it but don’t want that… I’m not sure if these things come in different lengths for elevations to make it more accurate. It’s a shotgun you shoot it and then you learn how to aim at based on whatever it is.

That $14 is more than I have invested in the entire gun when it was new.

I put some penetrating oil on the two remaining screws that offend me. I’ll probably try and remove them. Likely I’m gonna have to heat them up.

When I was going through reloading room the other day I found a really shitty sig red dot. I only ever mounted it on a weapon once. It’s not very useful for a rifle. It looks like it’s going to be the prime candidate to go on the shotgun. I’ve never been a fan of red dots on shotguns, I figured I’d give it a try..

I usually sell firearms through FFL’s or people I know. Every experience I have selling to a random person.. Either goes nowhere or leaves me open to risk that isn’t even worth my time or money.

Sorry I freaked out I just get so pissed off at everything and that’s why I don’t lend shit to people most of the time.

Patience, penetrating oil and a hollow ground screw tip that fits the head of the screw exactly,lightly tapped in to seat it.
If it doesn’t move a little more oil and time………I like Kroil.
If you dont have a soldering iron Heat the shaft of a screwdriver with a torch And transfer the heat to the screw.
Once you get a little movement work the screw both ways.
You could also try removing the bolt and getting some oil on the backside of the screws Inside the receiver.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom