Mossberg 590M 12 gauge pump shotgun

bigbravehog

NES Member
Any feedback on this gun ?
Looking for a home defense shotgun and this one has 10+1 capacity

Remington 870DM is the other one I'm looking at.

The mags look cumbersome. A regular 590 is 8 rounds and seems a hell of a lot easier to maneuver

1) pump shotgun + magazine = retarded
2) avoid anything from Remington made in the past 5 years. it's garbage. there's a reason they're bankrupt.
3) if wanting a mossberg get a 590 in 18" barrel configuration and get yourself a quality side saddle. learn to single load the gun and run it quickly.
4) a quality flashlight mount (like the RS Regulate) and a sling are a plus
5) after all this re-evaluate if you still want a magazine system because the answer will be no

there are many nice mossberg models out there, this one happens to be my favorite. unfortunatley none of the shops seem to carry it. they all have the 590A1s which I find cumbersome. the good thing with mossberg is their QC is pretty good on the shotguns so ordering one is a nonissue. the standard 590 is about 1 lb lighter than a 590A1.
590 7-Shot | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-GhcSt3sM

Last edited:
I love the 12 gauge mini buckshot in a short barrel mossberg. Just make sure you buy the rubber adapter off of amazon.

Any feedback on this gun ?
Looking for a home defense shotgun and this one has 10+1 capacity

Remington 870DM is the other one I'm looking at.
Don't get a detatchable magazine shotgun. The shells deform in the magazine over time and then will fail to feed. I read that, I have no first hand experience with it. It makes sense though because shotgun shells are made out of plastic. Besides a long tube magazine is plenty and cheaper.

Last edited:
1) pump shotgun + magazine = retarded
2) avoid anything from Remington made in the past 5 years. it's garbage. there's a reason they're bankrupt.
3) if wanting a mossberg get a 590 in 18" barrel configuration and get yourself a quality side saddle. learn to single load the gun and run it quickly.
4) a quality flashlight mount (like the RS Regulate) and a sling are a plus
5) after all this re-evaluate if you still want a magazine system because the answer will be no

there are many nice mossberg models out there, this one happens to be my favorite. unfortunatley none of the shops seem to carry it. they all have the 590A1s which I find cumbersome. the good thing with mossberg is their QC is pretty good on the shotguns so ordering one is a nonissue. the standard 590 is about 1 lb lighter than a 590A1.
590 7-Shot | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-GhcSt3sM

Remington shotguns are not "garbage". I have one and it's been perfect through over 1000 rounds. It's a pump. I shoot trap and skeet with it. It cycles flawlessly with multiple types of ammo. I also have a mossberg and it too is perfect.

People online make this crap up and then just keep regurgitating it. They had an issue in 2016 with burrs in the chambers and they fixed it. Stuff like that happens to manufacturers of everything. Half the information on message boards is not true.

Sevenrats-

I'm glad you are enjoying your new production Remington shotgun. My experiences have been different. The last remington 870 I owned was so heavily rusted from the factory that it was better at transmitting Tetanus than cycling reliably. Their quality is so bad that they don't even bring the firearm back to their factory for repairs. They secondhand pay a gunsmith to fix their trash, and it still doesn't work correctly. I've seen BNIB 700's where the bolt is rusted shut and from what I hear that's just the beginning.

Remington's toilet bowl maneuver is not internet folklore but rather their own doing. I have experienced this firsthand along with many whose opinions I hold in high regard. Regardless I would advise anyone who is genuinely interested in a Remington product to go ahead and buy them...learn for yourself! all this being said their older production stuff is fine. my father owns an 870 wingmaster from the mid 1980's. looks great and runs smooth. a far cry from the current state of Remington's production.

Last edited:
For home defense I would think you would want to go with a semi auto, no?

Benelli M1 :)

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90, an older Remington police 870 and a Mossberg 590 A1. There is no doubt in my mind that because of the irresponsible Ma. gun laws, the M1 Super 90 is the finest, auto shotgun, for home protection, that is available in Ma., all things considered like capacity, speed, reliability and legality.

It would be softer shooting than a pump, but you don't get the scary sound of racking a pump to scare the intruder. [smile]

Why not? Shotguns have long been popular for HD.

Yeah, but when the shtf, sound isn't stopping any threat the way a Benelli M1 Super does and for reliability, again the Benelli M1 Super 90 wins. If sound impresses you, rack the bolt and let the fun begin. I prefer not to waste the time required to first rack the bolt, but that's just my preference. like they say, opinions may vary.

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90, an older Remington police 870 and a Mossberg 590 A1. There is no doubt in my mind that because of the irresponsible Ma. gun laws, the M1 Super 90 is the finest, auto shotgun, for home protection, that is available in Ma., all things considered like capacity, speed, reliability and legality.

I've seen/heard alot of good things about the Beretta 1301 if and for <$1000 its got a lot of nice features for a "tactical" semi-auto plus if you don't put a pistol grip on it you can put in a tube extension. May not be as nice as a Benelli M series but its a bit cheaper.

Remington shotguns are not "garbage". I have one and it's been perfect through over 1000 rounds. It's a pump. I shoot trap and skeet with it. It cycles flawlessly with multiple types of ammo. I also have a mossberg and it too is perfect.

People online make this crap up and then just keep regurgitating it. They had an issue in 2016 with burrs in the chambers and they fixed it. Stuff like that happens to manufacturers of everything. Half the information on message boards is not true.
Some people have also had good experiences with rotary engines, doesn't mean they're overall reliable. There is sooo much info out there about modern 870s being really low quality that your one good experience is the exception, not the rule.

I've seen/heard alot of good things about the Beretta 1301 if and for <$1000 its got a lot of nice features for a "tactical" semi-auto plus if you don't put a pistol grip on it you can put in a tube extension. May not be as nice as a Benelli M series but its a bit cheaper.
Nothing wrong with a beretta. I have a Beretta police model, but I prefer the Benelli because it has all of the good features and it's legal. It's hi cap, for a shotgun, it's very reliable and it has a pistol grip. I don't have a pistol grip stock for the Beretta but I'm told that the internal parts are interchangeable with the Benelli. Oh, and the Beretta police model does have rifle sights, like the Benelli.

Yeah, but when the shtf, sound isn't stopping any threat the way a Benelli M1 Super does and for reliability, again the Benelli M1 Super 90 wins. If sound impresses you, rack the bolt and let the fun begin. I prefer not to waste the time required to first rack the bolt, but that's just my preference. like they say, opinions may vary.

Benelli is a fine shottie, but the OP was looking for a HD gun, not a SHTF scenario. Plenty of pumps and semis that will do the same job at a cost point much lower than the Benelli.

I have a Stevens 520 that I use, real nice for a hundred year old gun. I just like old guns, manual of arms is pretty much the same as my 50 year old Rem 870.
It’s a shotgun.

As much as I revere the 16ga, my defensive guns are 12s.

Nothing wrong with a beretta. I have a Beretta police model, but I prefer the Benelli because it has all of the good features and it's legal. It's hi cap, for a shotgun, it's very reliable and it has a pistol grip. I don't have a pistol grip stock for the Beretta but I'm told that the internal parts are interchangeable with the Benelli. Oh, and the Beretta police model does have rifle sights, like the Benelli.

OP inferred that $1000.00 shotgun is in his price range. The Benelli M1 Super 90 is within that price range, so I didn't see a price issue here.

Last edited:
Used Remmy 870.

Or a used Ithaca. That way your left-handed wife could use it without jacking empties into her eye. (Assuming your wife is a lefty.)

I've got a Mossy. It's not. . . . howyousay? Smoooooth. Anything but.

I agree that fit is important, but function, in a HD shotgun should be the most important consideration when protecting your family don't you think?

I guess if by function you mean 'working'. My point was there are many patterns of shotgun, they're all very hungry guns, you spend alot of time loading it, so it's important to pick a scattergun and stick with it. The slug changeover drill is alot different on the m3 than the 870, so you gotta drill drill drill until you can do it in your sleep. They're all viable for HD. Even a SXS can be reloaded and fired really fast. What matters most is getting lead on target. This is why I'm such a big advocate of fit on scatterguns.

I guess if by function you mean 'working'. My point was there are many patterns of shotgun, they're all very hungry guns, you spend alot of time loading it, so it's important to pick a scattergun and stick with it. The slug changeover drill is alot different on the m3 than the 870, so you gotta drill drill drill until you can do it in your sleep. They're all viable for HD. Even a SXS can be reloaded and fired really fast. What matters most is getting lead on target. This is why I'm such a big advocate of fit on scatterguns.

This is a home invasion scenario I think isn't it? If so, it's not likely he'll need more than the 8 or 9 rounds already in the shotgun. If so, he, like most of us will have a pretty decent handgun for backup, but geez, that much buckshot should do the job more than one time over.

Some people have also had good experiences with rotary engines, doesn't mean they're overall reliable. There is sooo much info out there about modern 870s being really low quality that your one good experience is the exception, not the rule.

Actually, considering that they've made over 10 million of them, I think that the "info out there" is bullshit from 10 guys on message boards.

Actually, considering that they've made over 10 million of them, I think that the "info out there" is bullshit from 10 guys on message boards.
10 million in the last five years, huh? Because that's the time period that an earlier poster said had bad quality guns. Try again.

Used Remmy 870.

Or a used Ithaca. That way your left-handed wife could use it without jacking empties into her eye. (Assuming your wife is a lefty.)

I've got a Mossy. It's not. . . . howyousay? Smoooooth. Anything but.

Used 870 from decades ago can be had for cheap and is very good.

Also I am left handed and never hit myself with empties from my 870.

This is a home invasion scenario I think isn't it? If so, it's not likely he'll need more than the 8 or 9 rounds already in the shotgun. If so, he, like most of us will have a pretty decent handgun for backup, but geez, that much buckshot should do the job more than one time over.

KEEP SHOOTING UNTIL THE TARGET CHANGES SHAPE OR CATCHES FIRE!

8 or 9 is good for a couple of invaders, yes. Home invasion probably is the most likely scenario you would pick up a scattergun. I can't imagine how much that must hurt your ears. Alot of people like to run an AR15 with frangible ammo for HD too, I hear. Flashlight and a HOLO. Nothing says GTFO my property like the sound of that DI gas system.

Back
Top Bottom