Mosin Nagant - Remington made for the Boy Scouts - what is it worth?

What is a Mosin Nagant, made by Remington for the Boy Scouts worth? It has a stamp on the stock that says "Boyce's Tigers"
The hex receiver says "Remington Armory 1917"
There's actually 2 of them that my friend is looking to possibly sell.
They are in really good shape and shoot straight.

Thank you for the offer, but Remington has offered a hell of a lot more than that !!!!
If Remington made a offer I would think its a fair value. I mean really if Remington wanted them back they gotstobe worth at least that offer.

Never heard of the stamp, and apparently, neither has anyone on Gunboards. A search comes up 'nil' on the word "Boyce's".

I would say that maybe only Remington, themselves, know what the significance of the stamp would be.

Boyce founded the boy scouts...well one of the men to do so.
tiger scout is first step 7 years old+ I wonder if these where presentation pieces of some sort for pack leaders. There are also some schools named Boyce around new York. Could they be shooting team rifles?

Thank you for the offer, but Remington has offered a hell of a lot more than that !!!!

If Remington wants them they have to be worth something,and I would put them out for auction. Before you do that try to get as much info on them as you can.

How do you know it was actually made FOR the Boy Scouts? A stock stamp/cartouche could have been made and stamped by anyone after they came into possession of the rifle.

Remember, similar to the way American manufactures contracted to make British Enfields, they also contracted to make Mosins for Imperial Russia. IIRC, when the Bolsheviks took over, the US Govt halted their contract shipments and bought the surplus stock.

My guess is that the rifle here is n Rifle of M1916 "American Nagant" that ended up in the Scouts' hands at some point.

Last edited:
What is a Mosin Nagant, made by Remington for the Boy Scouts worth? It has a stamp on the stock that says "Boyce's Tigers"
The hex receiver says "Remington Armory 1917"
There's actually 2 of them that my friend is looking to possibly sell.
They are in really good shape and shoot straight.

If boy scouts we OK to shoot Mosins, I can't imagine why modern day man-babies cry about recoil. [rofl]

If Remington wants them they have to be worth something,and I would put them out for auction. Before you do that try to get as much info on them as you can.

There must be some story behind that.

How do you know it was actually made FOR the Boy Scouts? A stock stamp/cartouche could have been made and stamped by anyone after they came into possession of the rifle.

Remember, similar to the way American manufactures contracted to make British Enfields, they also contracted to make Mosins for Imperial Russia. IIRC, when the Bolsheviks took over, the US Govt halted their contract shipments and bought the surplus stock.

My guess is that the rifle here is n Rifle of M1916 "American Nagant" that ended up in the Scouts' hands at some point.

The question is if this stamp was done at the arsenal or not. I can put stamps, but if Remington did make a limited run and have that documented, then you got a really unique specimen. Factory stamps are rare, private stamps, not so much.

Boyce's Tigers spanned three wars - Spanish American, WWI, and WWII. They were basically volunteers out of NYC, and trained at a local firing range under the direction of A.L. Boyce. They were identified by the tiger head pin on their lapels.

Almost nothing (aside from a 1917 send off parade in NYC with Boy Scout color guards) ties them to the Boy Scouts.

Just guessing that the range guns, bought from Remington after 1919, were stamped by Boyce's Tigers themselves, and not by Remington.

Do some targeted google searches. What's written here is about all you will find. So, the guns may be cool, but they have VERY LITTLE researchable history - other than they might be tied to volunteer range patrons from NYC.

But pics would be nice. Are they still intact as factory original? Or are they Bannerman style bubbas?

Edit to note: William Boyce of Chicago helped found the Boy Scouts in 1910. A.J Boyce of NYC had no role in the founding of the Boy Scouts.

Last edited:
Interesting, My guess is there is a story here no of us or anyone else knows..... Are you serious when you said remington made an offer?

If it were me, I would only be selling one of them. The second would be safely tucked away in my house!

Ill buy[smile]

EDIT Just a thought, this is the second NES thread about a Nagant NOBODY knew existed, makes me pretty proud to be a regular here!

EDIT 2 The other thing I find odd is a lack of US proofs..... I know NEW nagants got them when the military had to purchase them, so whats up with these Remingtons?

Last edited:
***DRB*** PM an offer. My friend is looking to sell them. He doesn't shoot them, they are essentially safe queens. I brought up some ammo, they shoot great !!!
I suggested trying to find out more about them. I figured the Mosin experts here on NES could be of assistance. A lot of people replied with some good info, much appreciated BTW.

Does it have the Fleur de Lis on it,
BSA-logo.gif

ETA: Couldn't make any out in the photos... Was a Boy Scout & Cub Scout - cool piece.

Last edited:
Does it have the Fleur de Lis on it,
BSA-logo.gif

ETA: Couldn't make any out in the photos... Was a Boy Scout & Cub Scout - cool piece.

These rifles have NOTHING to do with the Boy scouts after doing some research. From the little I can find, Boyce's Tigers was a civilian training group for those seeking service in the military in NY

***DRB*** PM an offer. My friend is looking to sell them. He doesn't shoot them, they are essentially safe queens. I brought up some ammo, they shoot great !!!
I suggested trying to find out more about them. I figured the Mosin experts here on NES could be of assistance. A lot of people replied with some good info, much appreciated BTW.

I refrain from getting into a bidding war with any of the other collectors here....... Just as a FYI it may not be taken very kindly by the mods if there is a WTS ad happening where there is NOT a price listed as NES is not a auction site ( I only say this to be helpful, not rude in anyway )

EDIT: I would caution on the sale price.... If there is no way of positively identifying these rifles origins and fare value is hard to place, and they will be subject to what risk the buyer is willing to place upon them. If the seller is patient and willing to do the research he could end up some serious interest and and a serious price tag if they prove to be a rare/interesting rifle. I certainly find them intersting, but not nearly enough to put a museum quality price tag on them without any sort of substantial evidence of their history

Last edited:
I wondered about that after I replied to you. I rescind my offer for you to make me an offer. I don't want to upset the mods.

Like I said, not trying to be rude but it will get this thread shut down.

Back on topic, Unless you can prove what these are you are going on the "story" of the gun. Good collectors NEVER ( ok almost never[wink] ) buy the story they buy the gun. Unless you can for sure identify what the gun actually is you/he would have a hard time getting a premium above the fact that its a Remington Nagant.

A quick check of gunbroker shows Reminton Nagants vary in price from $180 on the low end to $600 for an original correct and good condition example. Now I would guess "IF" you could prove these were something special they would top that $600 mark. If not I would "guess" they would fall to the mid or even lower end of that pricing scale.

All that being said, I am NOT the expert here on NES for Nagants so I could be way off on this..... But thats my take on something like that

Last edited:
Well, DON"T SHOOT THEM!!!!!!!!!!

They are Cadet training rifles, and possibly made with second grade, or defective parts.

I just posted a thread that might interest you. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/mil-surp-collectors/193563-remington-armory-cadet-rifle-no-322-a.html

Three have sold on Gunbroker in the past two weeks. Do a search and you will get your market value.

Those are plenty cool, BTW. This is possibly the first tie in the Cadet world to a solid training facility.

[smile]

Cool

They said they wanted them for their museum, when he spoke to them about the guns awhile ago. He started thinking about again because we were shooting my Mosin yesterday and one thing lead to another and here we are.

trade one, sell one after the other is traded.

The fact that remington wants them back will certainly indicate there's something legit and collectible

They said they wanted them for their museum, when he spoke to them about the guns awhile ago. He started thinking about again because we were shooting my Mosin yesterday and one thing lead to another and here we are.

Ill repeat then..... If he is trying to sqeeze every last cent out of it than trade one, wait and sell the other. If remmy wants in in their museum, many others will want it because of that.

Me personally, I like firearm in the hands of collectors. While firearms should be preserved IMHO they loose a little soul when placed behind glass for no one to ever touch or hold again

Back
Top Bottom