Mosin Nagant PU sniper

OK...I finally bought one that I can take to the range.
Here are some pictures of the 1943 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU sniper I bought a couple of weeks ago in Germany.
It has been refurbished, but it wasn't done very nicely.
The person who varnished the wood also varnished some of the metal parts.
Because of this I could talk the price down a bit.
The bore is nice and shiny and rifling is strong.
The rifle is all matching except for the bolt handle.
I have my doubts about some of the other numbers, but that's OK with me.
After I have found the right load I will take the rifle apart and start cleaning the metal parts that were lacquered.

I'll get back on the ammo in the reloading forum, but just for your info........this is what I reloaded:

S&B cases trimmed back to 53.45mm
S&B LR primers
Different loads of VihtaVuori N110 (reduced loads) starting with 27.2gn up to 28gn.
Prvi Partizan 182 gn cal .311 FMJBT bullet.

I'm not sure what to do with the wood.
It looks good.
Only the hand guard has some scratches.
I think I'll leave it for now.

OK.......some pictures.

SDC16158.jpg

SDC16159.jpg

SDC16145.jpg

SDC16156.jpg

SDC16157.jpg

I hope it's a shooter.
Got some range time coming up tomorrow.
I'll keep you all posted.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Last edited:
Nice rifle. Before you get carried away with the stock finish, that could be original.

Looks like shellac which is the correct finish and often is slopped all over the metal hardware. Try some denatured alcohol and shellac mixed together, 3 parts DA to 1 part shellac on a rag and wipe it over the scratched areas and see if it blends in. Sometimes a touch up is all you need and no one will ever know the difference.

Fred (50 BMG) the local Mosin expert, should be along shortly to tell you some more info.[grin]

Thanks for the welcome and yes....firearms ownership is legal in the Netherlands, although it's very difficult to get the correct paperwork.

Here's some info on Dutch gun law IN A NUTSHELL.
First you all have to know that gun ownership in Holland is for the police and the army only.
The Dutch people have no right to bear arms.
In a few exceptional cases private persons can own firearms.
One of the exceptions is made for the so called sport shooter.
This is somebody who uses the firearm to shoot competitions with(as a hobby).
Before you get permission to buy a firearm you have to be a member of a Dutch gun club for one year.
After this year you can apply for ownership for one firearm.
Both the gun club and the police have to give their OK.
If you want to buy a second firearm you have to wait for another year.
After this second year you can buy up to 5 firearms.
Every year you have to prove to the police that you still are a member of a gun club and have used your firearms according to the law.
One of the rules was: When you own 5 firearms you have to shoot at an official Dutch range 35 times a year.
About 2 years ago this law was changed and the amount of rang visits was brought back to a minimum of 18.
If you are not able to make this amounts of visits to the range you can go to the police and explain why this happened.
The first time you might get away with a warning, but when this happens a second time you might have to turn in one of your firearms.
In the worst case you lose your license.
This is the story on a small part of the Dutch gun law.
I will not bother you with the details on the rules and regulations over here.
I'm sure you have some of those in the US....at least in some states.
If you have more questions on the subject, please just let me know OK ????

About the stock of the PU sniper.
I will leave it as it is for now.
Maybe Fred has some more info for me.
Thanks Ray.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Last edited:
In most places in the US, you walk into a gun store, pick up a gun, get a 5 minute background check over the phone, pay cash, check, or credit card, and walk out the door with the gun. Sounds terrible over there.

Welcome to Northeast Shooters!

Since the bolt is not matching, it has likely seen at least one arsenal refurbishment. But the main portion of the gun which consists of the high-wall receiver and PU mount/scope is the critical part. If this is your first gun, then you have scored a fine range rifle that should give you at least eighteen days of pure enjoyment this year!

If you can get yourself a laser bore sighting tool, you may save yourself some time zeroing the scope. Or, you can have more fun just making incremental adjustments without the tool.

As for the stock, it looks much like the ones we have here in the US. Not many are perfect.

What is your range like? Can you shoot out to 300 meters?

rear sight

Welcome to NES. Does the receiver have any markings that appear to be tiny star shapes? If so it could be a Czech modified rifle. They were known to have replaced the rear sights. Also the receiver appears to have an import mark, banner type, on the receiver. In addition it appears the rear adjustment screw on your scope mount appears to be a refurb and not original. Still may be a tack driver and thats all that counts.

Look at the receiver, if it has a C and what looks like a symbol like a staple it was a sniper rifle.

Again welcome...let us know how you make out at the range....and please, leave the stock as is. It gives the rifle character.

Update, I found that exact sight on one of my ex dragoons. Rifle is date 1922 and is a Tula with the script on the receiver not the star.

Also my Original sniper arrives today from__________ sorry cant post where. They are $800 and are all matching with original scopes. I saw one at the Springfield gun show, which by the way was the WORST gun show I had worked in years!!!!!! The owner let me examine it closely. Only problem, a small banner import mark on the receiver. I can live with that.

Last edited:
Welcome to Northeast Shooters.

What is your range like? Can you shoot out to 300 meters?

Thanks for the welcome Martin08.
We drive over to Germany a couple of times a year to shoot at a 300 meter range.
I'm a member of a gun club in Holland that owns it own indoor 100 meter range.
Building started in 2007 and about 1,5 years later the range was ready for use.
Found a couple of pictures.
Not the best quality, but I think you get the picture.

baan4.jpg

Vloergereed.jpg

Legebak.jpg

Stempelszetten.jpg

Airview.jpg

Ingang2.jpg

c989b626-1.jpg

2d8e9bc9.jpg

10e599df.jpg

Hope you like the pictures Martin08.

@ 50 BMG.
I will check the rifle for various symbols, take some pictures and post when ready.
Thanks for the info.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Thanks for the pictures of the range!

Sounds like you'll get an opportunity to test your PU set-up at an adequate distance in Germany. It's always interesting to hear a range report when you can!

Thanks for the welcome Martin08.
We drive over to Germany a couple of times a year to shoot at a 300 meter range.
I'm a member of a gun club in Holland that owns it own indoor 100 meter range.
Building started in 2007 and about 1,5 years later the range was ready for use.
Found a couple of pictures.
Not the best quality, but I think you get the picture.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

I'll skip re-quoting the images and just say this... I would love to have an indoor range like that where I live!

+ Rep points to you for sharing your range info with pics where you live.[thumbsup]

I'll skip re-quoting the images and just say this... I would love to have an indoor range like that where I live!

+ Rep points to you for sharing your range info with pics where you live.[thumbsup]

I should point out it appears to be on a schools grounds too... [grin]

The brass caps shows that the handgaurd is from an Ex-dragoon. The lower is a prewar. What are the markings on the scope?

Thanks very much for your kind reply SKS Ray.
I appreciate it.

@ terraformer
The range isn't situated on a school ground.
Might look that way because of the football.....sorry....I mean soccer field right next to the range.
The soccer fields belong to the local soccer club.
In fact...we have a 25 meter range that is build right under the canteen of the soccer club.
It has been there for over 25 years. [grin]

@ jpattersonnh
Here's a picture of the markings on the scope.

IMG_4768-1.jpg

As far as I know this is a postwar copy of a PU scope made by a manufacturer called "PROGRESS".

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

You are right, it looked that way because of the sports field. I forget you folks over on that side of the pond really take your futbol seriously. [wink] Here they are all on school or local muni grounds and they are never in good shape. Nothing privately run. I am in awe of that range though.

Back
Top Bottom