More WASR-10 confusion

All right sorry to bring up a probably tired subject but.....

I went to my local shop to check out a WASR-10, it comes with two mags a 5 and 10 rounder both single stack. Does this mean it is not a high-cap model? I know the WASR-10 can take both single and double stack but why would this only come with the single stack mags?

Are the double stack mags that say FS sells with their WASR-10's a "throw in" by FS or should they all come with the high-cap mags?

I like the gun but obviously don't want a low-cap version.

If I'm not mistaken, the locap single stack mags are narrower than the hicap double stacks. I'd guess that the 5- and 10- rounders ship with it to MA to avoid preban/postban restriction foolishness. Century supposedly imports the locap rifles and then hogs out the mag well to accept either mag but I have heard that their quality control is sometimes lacking resulting in a bad fit.

This page has a good amount of info about the AK mags, the site itself has lots of other interesting AK stuff:
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/magazine.htm

There are WASRs that have low cap single stack mags... stay away...
what you want is one of the legally converted ones (like what FS sells, etc... )
those will take typical AK mags no problem.

-Mike

I agree with firtree. The low caps probably mean that the magwell has not been converted. I believe that the conversion cosists of "widening" the magwell to accept full capacity mags and then twp pieces of metal welded on the inside of the reciever to limit the magazine "wobble".
If you compare the recivers of the WASR-10 to a SAR-1 or other AK variant... the WASR-10 is missing the magazine "dimples" to prevent mag wobble.
I have a WASR as well as a SAR-1 and an ass load of saiga's. I love them all but the WASR is the "roughest" (for lack of a better word) of them all. Don't get me wrong... I still shoot it often and run it wicked hard. I take better care of my other AK's but a little CLP and a boresnake and the WASR keeps hammering away... then again it is an AK.
Good luck!

The original single stack model was all they can legally bring into the country because of the assault weapon import ban (still in place). Century arms had a local company widen the mag well and weld a shim on each side to stabilize the magazines. While mine is not in the same league as my Bushmaster HBAR when it comes to accuracy, it is very reliable. The AK family made their name on reliability in adverse conditions, not accuracy. The AR's hold that title.

Single stack WASR-10s are awesome for people that only have FIDs. I know of a shop that keeps one single stack in stock just incase someone with a FID wants to buy an AK. Happens more often then you might thing.

--EasyD

Has anyone seen any of the fixed wire stock WASR models? I used to see them a couple of years back at FS. Are they still around?

Back
Top Bottom