Monson Man Convicted in Self-Defense Dog Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would only expect a human to think rationally. Maybe ask yourself while in the heat of the moment. "is this dog attacking me?" If you can't do this, then you shouldn't own a gun. The article says the dog "lunged". If this is considered attacking then we have lost all common sense as a society.

I still don't know how to large breed dogs could knock someone down and not bite or shred any clothing and have it be considered an attack. I'm willing to bet the two dogs were wagging their tales and were jumping with excitement.

Again, this owner should have control of his dogs, but the gunmen shouldn't be that disassociated with common sense.

If a Golden Retriever ran onto your property and you went pet it and it bit you. Would you pull out your gun and shoot it? Or better yet, if a Golden lunged at you, would you shoot it? ....I think not. The breed of this case shouldn't even be considered. This was a dumb gunman who was playing god.

Don't want your aggressive dog shot? Keep it on your property.

Any dog with potential to do great harm should be handled like a dog with potential to do great harm.

The owner needs to handle the rotty/pit/lab/whatever appropriately and others need to be appropriately cautious. You DON'T know the shooter was too fast to shoot and I DON'T know the shooter acted appropriately.

My point exactly. The jury thought otherwise of the dog being aggressive. Any rational person would shoot an aggressive dog. I guess it depends on what you consider to be aggressive.

My parents neighbors had a real aggressive dog. Some kind of black mut, mid to large sized dog. they put it down after it finally bit some lady up the street. It came after me several times when walking up the road.

One time it was growling at me and i could feel it's breath on my hand as i tried to walk by it. I'm pretty sure it was about to bite me so i turned around and punched it right in snout. It ran back to it's owners house wimpering. The owner came walking at me briskly and I thought, "oh god here we go". Instead of getting assaulted the guy thanked me and said maybe that'll teach him, how's your hand. I told him I hate having to hurt an animal but he's lucky I don't take my double barrel 12 on my evening walk. He assured me that he'd be fine with me shooting his dog.

He said he hated the thing and has been wanting to put it down but his wife gets all teary eyed at the though because it was a rescue dog.

He was pretty good at keeping the dog inside or on his property, but he had young kids who kept leaving the door open[rolleyes] and letting him out and if he wan't around, the wife had no chance at controlling the thing.

My point exactly. The jury thought otherwise of the dog being aggressive. Any rational person would shoot an aggressive dog. I guess it depends on what you consider to be aggressive.

I agree. Which leads me to believe that there may have been other reasons as to why the neighbor shot the dogs. There could have been evidence that this neighbor hated these dog's existence, and used a lunge as an excuse to rid his problem.

Which would be totally sad. But very believable.

The guy got screwed because he messed with someone that knew the system better than he did. That lawyer looks like the kind of guy that could make himself cry too.

None of us were there, so any guesses as to the real dangerousness of the situation are just that - "guesses". Unless you believe in the infallibility of the press, we don't really know what happened.

I once killed a healthy dog that was running away from me and I didn't feel threatened when I did it. I'd do it again in a second. Without knowing any of the details, was I right or wrong?

I agree. Which leads me to believe that there may have been other reasons as to why the neighbor shot the dogs. There could have been evidence that this neighbor hated these dog's existence, and used a lunge as an excuse to rid his problem.

Which would be totally sad. But very believable.

Didn't I read somewhere the dog owner had only been there 4 days? How does someone work up a beef to kill the dogs in that time frame?

Didn't I read somewhere the dog owner had only been there 4 days? How does someone work up a beef to kill the dogs in that time frame?

It could happen easily. Someone is happy with how peaceful a neighborhood is, happens to be anal, and very grumpy. New owner moves in and shatters the grumpy a-hole's peaceful neighborhood with 2 barking, energetic dogs. Grumpy a-hole is kept up at night by barking and broods over it. Decides to place shotgun near the rear screen door just in case he gets his 'opportunity' and bam, dogs get loose and poo hits the fan.

I moved into an apartment complex with my dog and within two days my upstairs neighbor was up my ass about her after seeing her once. She doesn't bark at all.

You'd be surprised at how intolerant some people can be.

I once killed a healthy dog that was running away from me and I didn't feel threatened when I did it. I'd do it again in a second. Without knowing any of the details, was I right or wrong?

I personally can't answer that.

True. Some poeple are just animal haters and will look for any excuse to be justified in hurting them. I lived by a guy like that in NC.

I'm not sure, but knowing you they prolly never found all of the pieces [laugh]

After reading that, you were right in what you did. You had kids to worry about and I'm sure they were no match for a 100 pound rottie.

After reading that, you were right in what you did. You had kids to worry about and I'm sure they were no match for a 100 pound rottie.

That's one way to look at it.
After I whacked it a couple of times, the dog was trying to get away.

I grabbed it and finished it off because it bit people in the past, it bit me, and I was sure it would bite somebody else in the future if the opportunity presented itself.

The dog in the story bit somebody else, and went after the guy that got convicted.

I grabbed it and finished it off because it bit people in the past, it bit me, and I was sure it would bite somebody else in the future if the opportunity presented itself.

The dog in the story bit somebody else, and went after the guy that got convicted.

You shoulda pressed charges. The owner was libel to raise a jerk dog again.

Nope. I liked the guy. He knew what the dog was like and tried to keep him tied/fenced up, but the dog got away.

And an injured dog is a potentially dangerous dog.
As much as I think it would have sucked to have ot do that, you did the right thing.
It boggles my mind though, how the guy knew what his dog was like, but kept the dog anyways. I'd get rid of a dog before it became a lawsuit, but that's just me.

It could happen easily. Someone is happy with how peaceful a neighborhood is, happens to be anal, and very grumpy. New owner moves in and shatters the grumpy a-hole's peaceful neighborhood with 2 barking, energetic dogs. Grumpy a-hole is kept up at night by barking and broods over it. Decides to place shotgun near the rear screen door just in case he gets his 'opportunity' and bam, dogs get loose and poo hits the fan.

I moved into an apartment complex with my dog and within two days my upstairs neighbor was up my ass about her after seeing her once. She doesn't bark at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence. This was a guy, coming to his parents house while they were away, so I'm finding it hard that he had a bone on to kills these dogs, who had been there only 4 days prior.

Unless, of course, this was the 4th incidence of them coming up on the deck and scaring the shit out of him...

Being a lawyer does make a difference in these situations. My wife is an attorney (just real estate, not litigation) but it is amazing what doors get opened in the courts when a member of the bar is a party to a suit.

..and he does look like he could be a crybaby, too.

This was a guy, coming to his parents house while they were away, so I'm finding it hard that he had a bone on to kills these dogs, who had been there only 4 days prior.

..and he does look like he could be a crybaby, too.

ahh my bad. I apologize that I didn't catch that in the article. I feel even worse for the guy getting convicted, now. Damn.

Here's an honest question with no wrong answer.

If a "so-called" aggressive breed (rottweiler, pit, shepperd) were to enter your yard would you instantly kill it because of what you went through before?

Just curious because I've never had to shoot a domestic animal. (keeping my fingers crossed that, that day will never come)

Here's an honest question with no wrong answer.

If a "so-called" aggressive breed (rottweiler, pit, shepperd) were to enter your yard would you instantly kill it because of what you went through before?

Just curious because I've never had to shoot a domestic animal. (keeping my fingers crossed that, that day will never come)

Just for coming in my yard? No.

some of the guys here know my dogs from HSC - 60 lb golden retriever and ~ 100 lb GSD. They do go off leash there but that said, it can be intimidating to see large dogs off leash... the "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly..." statement is as tired as "my baby didn do nuthin..." don't shoot these two:

sprink2.jpg

I myself had recently went to A NES members house, he had A nice looking 120lb+ american bulldog, (all white spotted). He was locked up in his cage, He had told me that he was an aggresive dog before I showed up, as I was walking out the door He had let him out of the cage to go outside right behind me, I then noticed he didn't look mean at all and E*** wich I won't put on the spot[thinking] had told me to pet him, so as I reached down to do so and when I did he had bit and tried to shake my hand, I was quick enough to rip my hand out of his mouth and grab him under his jaw by the neck and the extra skin on his back and slammed him on his back trying to submit him holding him there, in that instant the thought of me pulling my piece a G30 and putting him out had quckly entered and then quickly exited my head, supprisingly the next thing I hear come out of E*** mouth was "DID YOU HURT MY DOG" as I kneel there using every bit of my muscle to hold him, and this dog did not want to give up, After about what seemed like 10min was really about 15sec he finally grabbed his dog and put him in the house. I then had alot of words with him. I wasn't so mad that the dog had bit me, I was more frustrated that him knowing that I got bit and defending myself as best I can without harming his dog and the words that came out of his mouth. He then tried justifying what he said by telling me that he knew I was ok because he the dog had bit his wife and his step father once before and he didn't hurt them. I had then told him to train his dog before he has A law suit on his hand, He had replied "that is the way he should be" I just laughed said good luck and left. In my opinion wich I assume would be alot of people's, I would consider that as animal abuse, wich would be the owner's fault not the Dog's, but obviously if I really thought that I was fighting for my life or other circumstances like my wife or kid's being there I would definitly would have shot the dog wich is one of the thing's that I had told E***. It's just to bad that alot of dog's die by the hands of people because of there irresponsible owner's.

Anyone here think that the shooter's "warning shot" thing is a bad idea?

To me "warning shot" says "Well, the dog was a threat but not enough of a threat that I needed to actually shoot -at- the dog. " I think it strips away some legitimacy from the self defense claim, at least from external appearances.

After all, if the dogs were a threat, wouldn't you be trying to stop the dogs by whatever means necessary?

-Mike

"warning shot" could also = "miss" that scared the dog away. hitting a moving dog that's coming for your kids with a handgun is a lot harder than they make it seem on TeeVee.

I agree, but usually this term only comes up if someone actually claims that they fired a warning shot.

EG: "I fired a warning shot hoping it would scare the dogs away" is not the same as "The dog lunged at me so I tried to shoot it to defend myself. "

I guess what I'm driving at is that if the shooter claimed in a statement that they intentionally fired a "warning" shot, then this opens up an undesirable avenue against themselves- eg, the prosecutor can saunter around and try to use it against someone to poke holes in "fear" qualifiers on self defense.

-Mike

Last edited:
I agree, but usually this term only comes up if someone actually claims that they fired a warning shot.

-Mike

Someone with an easily bruised ego may not want to admit they missed so a simple miss then becomes an act of bravado AKA a "warning shot"[wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom