Money Spent

SKS Ray

NES Member
I was thinking today while driving home about the money I've spent on guns since I've been a collector/shooter. Its the kind of thing you hate to think about because you imagine the money you'd have now, or the other things you could have bought, but when you open your safe or cabinets, you look at your collection and instantly feel better about the money you've spent over the years. Especially when you close the door and lock it all up.[wink]
Anyone ever think what they'd have spent their money on instead? Can't say paying off credit cards because most credit card debt, for me at least, has come from milsurp-itis.

Actually, the nice thing about guns is that you do get to open your safe(s) and actually see and fondle something. Time was when my main hobbies were vintage Cuban cigars and single malt scotch. Ammo may get shot up, but at least the gun remains, not so with cigars or scotch.

Granted I still have a decent stock of cigars, but they ultimately just go up in smoke with nothing, but a beautiful memory, remaining. I don't buy cigars any more and probably never will again. I like guns a lot more!

Life is short. I have no regrets. I'm fortunate I've had the resourses to enjoy my hobbies and meet new friends.

It is kind of alarming when I start thinking about it.

I have no real huge regrets though... the only thing I would change if I could
go back and do it all again, is I would have avoided some guns and bought
others, I probably would have ended up making better choices. Or I
would have accessorized one gun properly before getting the next
one. (eg, things like buying good glass, night sights, etc. ).

As time passes though my purchase rate slowing down and I'm getting
pickier about what I like and don't like. I often think twice, three, even
five times before buying something. Not just because of the money,
but because of the "return". What use is buying a gun if I'm going to
buy it, shoot it a few times, and then end up dumping it?

Course the other reason I'm slowing down is so I can get a new
bleepin car. This whole deval thing is making me think about some
asset conversion, though. I want to try to sneak another AR into the
safe before the gate closes, so to speak.

Mike

I think of guns as an investment. Many that I've bought have done a whole lot better at appreciating in value vs. my other investments!

Like FPrice, I would have wasted all of my money. For most of my life I did just that. Fianally I realized owning a home, and buying guns at least left me with something to show at the end of the month.

When I look at my guns I'm happy that I do have them instead of something etherial with no substance. I especially feel that way when my wife asks to spend money foolishly, like on the dentist, or a vacation, or day at the spa. I tell her at least I'll have my guns forever, and she won't still have the massage.

Last of all, if times get really bad, financially, I have something of value I could make liquid to get over the rough spots....for a pretty amount of time.

40 years ago I was asked to buy savings bonds in work. I thought it over and started to buy handguns instead.

40 years later I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did.

I agree with LenS. Most of the firearms I've invested in I could sell for at least what I paid for them if I got into a bind. I got the newest Blue Press the other day and realized the same is true with my two Dillons. There's no way to put a price on the ability to defend yourself or all the enjoyment you get out of the shooting sports.

I figure that if I didn't spend my money on guns and other toys, I would have probably wasted it on food, clothes and similar "necessities". [rolleyes]

Ken

Unfortunately, Firearms is a category in my Quicken setup.[shocked]
[rofl]

Once you buy a firearm you have tangible property. You can use it for practical purposes (protection), you can "collect" it and enjoy it for the artistic value, and you can tinker with it and enjoy it as a mechanical hobby. There are other uses but these three come to mind. You may lose some money here and there, typically on an inferior or really mass produced model, but if you buy good stuff, it will hold value and could appreciate. You never know how laws might influence value too...

Back
Top Bottom