MO - Homeowner Fires Shots At Intruder

http://www.kmbc.com/news/22674960/detail.html

JOHNSON COUNTY, Mo. --
A Missouri homeowner took matters into his own hands Thursday morning when he saw a man trying to break into his home.

Bob Nicholson works nights, so he was in bed at about 10 a.m. when his wife heard a noise outside their house in Johnson County, Mo.

"He walked up on my icy front steps, knocked, pounded on the door -- it woke me up, and then he went in front of his truck and around the back of the house," Nicholson told KMBC's Maria Antonia.

Nicholson said there was a recent break-in next door, so he was on guard.

"I rummaged through my closet, found a pistol, went downstairs -- and before I even got downstairs I heard somebody jimmying my back door," Nicholson said.

Nicholson said he pointed his gun at the intruder and issued a warning.

"I put the gun up to the glass next to his head, I told him to stop. I mean, I could have shot him right there if I wanted to shoot through the door," Nicholson said.

The intruder ran around the house and then sped away in his pickup truck, which police found abandoned a few miles away.

Nicholson said he fired warning shots at the pickup truck.

Police said the pickup had been reported stolen. Investigators said there was no sign of blood, so they don't think the intruder was shot.

Nicholson said he's thankful he was home to protect his wife.

"If I wasn't home and my wife was still here -- that's what disturbs me," Nicholson said.

Police said Nicholson is not facing charges.

The intruder has not been caught. He was described as a white man in his mid-30s to early 40s. He has a medium build, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and 180 pounds. He was wearing blue jeans and a coat.

Back
Top Bottom